If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
LarryBenLev
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Country Issue

Blackberry won't play it because it doesn't have Flash, so it was never an issue before.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Forgot to ask - is your tethering profile set to U.S.?
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

LarryBenLev wrote:

Blackberry won't play it because it doesn't have Flash, so it was never an issue before.

Don't understand the logic. Playbook has Flash.

My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

I confirmed this. I could play the video just fine when on wifi. When I turned off wifi and bridged the Playbook to my BlackBerry I am unable to watch any video. I don't get any message about not being in the US, though.

I did an IP address detection on my Playbook while bridged and I get a RIM IP address but i get one that is registered in the United States.

Next time you're on the train, bridge to your BlackBerry and then on the Playbook go to whatismyip.com and note the ip address that comes up. Then take that address and type it into whatismyipaddress.com and see where the IP address is registered. You're likely going through a different IP address that is registered in Canada.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Well, if it insists you're in Canada, you can always go watch it on "watch.ctv.ca" - click on the Video Library tab and scroll down to The... Both Daily Show and Colbert Report are there. They usually have maybe a week to keep them online, so no back episodes. And you'll suffer a few commercials, but it streams well otherwise.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

TexTucker wrote:

LarryBenLev wrote:

The Playbook has Flash.  The BlackBerry Smartphone does not.  When bridged to the BlackBerry Smartphone the Playbook is using the BlackBerry Smartphone's Internet connection for data.  It is apparently logging a Canadian-registered IP address when he browses the Daily Show website.  This is not unexpected as all data on the BlackBery Smartphone goes through RIM's servers in Canada. 

That said, they do have US registered IP addresses but I don't know why you're not being routed through one of those.  But, I am being routed through a US registered IP address but still can't play the video.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker

John_Clark wrote:

TexTucker wrote:

LarryBenLev wrote:

The Playbook has Flash.  The BlackBerry Smartphone does not.  When bridged to the BlackBerry Smartphone the Playbook is using the BlackBerry Smartphone's Internet connection for data.  It is apparently logging a Canadian-registered IP address when he browses the Daily Show website.  This is not unexpected as all data on the BlackBery Smartphone goes through RIM's servers in Canada. 

That said, they do have US registered IP addresses but I don't know why you're not being routed through one of those.  But, I am being routed through a US registered IP address but still can't play the video.

I understand the Daily Show may have problems streaming to a non-US IP, but I don't understand technically how the phone tether would detect flash content and block it. The intellectual property block makes more sense. 

[ Edited ]

TexTucker wrote:

I understand the Daily Show may have problems streaming to a non-US IP, but I don't understand technically how the phone tether would detect flash content and block it. The intellectual property block makes more sense. 

It shouldn't (though I can't get the video to play when bridged at all, even with my US IP.)  He was referring to using the BlackBerry itself to access the same website.  I inferred that the same problem would happen.   He corrected me (accurately) that the BlackBerry doesn't have flash so it wouldn't work anyway.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker

If had hit the quote button I would have known which post he was replying to.