If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
mpatchez
My Device: Curve 9370 + PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Verizon

Cracked the back piece of my Playbook

So, my Playbook took a small tumble and the back cover has some cracks in it now. It still functions well, but I'm worried those cracks are gonna spread with use. Any ideas on how I can get this replaced?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Cracked the back piece of my Playbook

[ Edited ]

This isn't a warranty issue obviously so I'm not exactly sure but I'd contact BlackBerry Support via telephone and ask them your options. It's most likely going to cost you $ I'd figure.

My suggestion is to look on Ebay for a replcement shell if it becomes too expensive to replace it through RIM Blackberry themselves. There are videos on how to disassemble the PB on YouTube so you need to search for those and see if it's something you can do yourself.

Another thing you could do is run a bead of hot glue or expoxy over the case cracks as well as lines of packing tape to prevent further spread and cracking. Then you can buy a leather or plastic case for the PlayBook to live in and hide the blemishes. No one but you will know the wiser unless the PB is taken out of the case. I never take my PB out of the convertable case I bought. Ebay has lots of solutions. You could even buy a skin (giant sticker) to go overtop of it hiding the blemishes...just a thought. Again, search Ebay for skins for PlayBook.

You could even go to a sign shop in your vicinity to get them to cut out a vinyl square in black vinyl too if you can't find a pre-done skin. You'd have to do the measurements most likely. They'd do that kind of thing for very little money - maybe even for free since it can be done on scrap vinyl.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

Here's an OEM case lid here in Canada for $7.99 and $3.99 shipping

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-OEM-BlackBerry-Playbook-Back-Cover-Lid-Door-Fix-16GB-32GB-64GB-/2008...

Now you have to figure out how to replace it...can't be that hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3YcqIMxSbw

I just watched it from 0-1:45 and that's all you'd have to do...take off the old one and put on the new. Done in like 5-10 mins since you're going to be uber careful right? Use a guitar pic or case opening tool. Guitar pic should be fairly stiff not super flexible. Case opening tools can be bought on ebay too fyi.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

i use a credit card to pop off my sons playbook cover. Take the power switch side off last IIRC

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.