Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
sailnaked
My Device: blackberry playbook 64gb
My Carrier: don't own a phone

Customize search provider in PlayBook browser searchbar?

Google, Yahoo, Bing and AOL creep me out. I want to use duckduckgo, yippy or starpage as my searchbar default search engine.  Does anybody know how to do this. Can a blackberry rep explain why this very basic functionality is not included in the browser or is not well documented? I chose blackberry for security, the major search sites can't be trusted, too much tracking.  NO, making starpage my homepage is not a solution just in case someone thinks to suggest this.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Customize search provider in PlayBook browser searchbar?

if you care about your personal data, just activate the "private browsing mode" in your browser options.

You have no factual reason to trust duckduckgo more than Google, Bing or Yahoo.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sailnaked
My Device: blackberry playbook 64gb
My Carrier: don't own a phone

Oh how smug and utterly naive your reply is.  Why do I need proof, when a healthy level of scepticism and suspicion should suffice.  This is basic functionality and there is no reason it should be disabled or removed.  The fact that these are the only offered search engines further causes my hackles to rise.  Google, Bing, Yahoo and AOL don't advertise that their mandate is not to snoop, but Startpage, DuckDuckgo and Yippy do make this a principle tenet of their services.  They make these claims because unlike you they recognize that one "should" be interested in keeping their data secure.  I buy blackberry products specifically for data security reasons, blackberry advertises this as one of their strengts.  But, if you require proof and are incapable of reasoning this one out for yourself I'll provide you with these links.  Perhaps you'll have enough curiosity and insight to catch the tenor of the conversations.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/6/4403868/nsa-fbi-mine-data-apple-google-facebook-microsoft-others-pr...

http://bgr.com/tag/nsa/

I'm sorry but this really should be obvious.  Apologies in advance if my response seems a bit overly strident (I don't think there were any exclamation points).  It's just that your reply was not very helpful and seemed rather dismissive.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

well, you don't work at BlackBerry, I don't either. If you do not wish to use Google Web Search or Bing, or Yahoo Search, just don't use them.

I'm saying that provided you use Private Browsing, then you do not need to care about those because apart from your IP address they won't be able to fetch much information.

That being said, yes you can also simply create a bookmark do your favourite web search engine.

Keep in mind that DuckDuckGo only states things that appeal to your eyes. I have to this day no information on how they create their database, and I also do not know how much information they store about me whenever I use their services (which I do on a daily basis because I like their icon).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.