Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
ssingh44
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Dead Playbook

I got my playbook last year, and it was since the maravel tech device of my life. I published several apps for it and always was great. Until last week when it just wouldn't wake up.

The battery reached 0, and it automatically shut off as it normally does, and so I put it on charge using the standard wall charger that comes with the device. Unfortunatly after days of leaving it plugged in, and trying different wall chartgers in different outlets it has never come back to life.

I've even purchased a rapid charging dock hoping that maybe it would be able to provide the spark to lift its heart but still nothing.

I've scoured the forums and tried the few tricks suggested, particularly holding down the power button for 20 seconds, holding all 3 power, and +/- keys, and even doing an interval charge where I'd charge it for 2 minutes off for 8 seconds, 10 times, but nothing.

Accepting that this once glorios device is most likely dead is there any way I can send it in for repair or order just the battery and try to repair it myself?

It's over the initial year since I got it, so guessing the warrenty is up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Re: Dead Playbook

If your battery is dead or near dead, you have a problem. If you follow these instructions you may be able to make a recovery but it will take some time. The charger is controlled by software. The software will not run because the battery voltage is too low. When the battery is too low and you turn on the PB, It will only run for about 4 minutes and then shut down again. During this 4 minutes, the charger will begin charging but since the battery voltage is still too low, the unit will shut down again and the charger will shut off. To get the voltage up sufficiently for the PB To continue, you have to have the charger plugged in and every 5 minutes or so, you have to hold the power button on until the red light flashes then release it.It will once again recharge for 4 minutes. You may have to repeat these steps at least 10 times. Once the voltage gets up a bit, the charger should stay on but it will takes 6 hours to fully recharge the battery. When your charger is charging, it will feel warm to the touch so check it often to see if it is in fact charging.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ssingh44

Thank for the info, I shall give this is a try,

But what happens if theres not even enough to trickle that initial power on?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

I doubt that the battery is totally dead. But after repeating the process sufficient number of times, you should have enough juice for the charger to stay on. If that happens leave it charge for 8 hours. You can feel the warmth in the charger within about 15 minutes.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ssingh44

Sounds good, I'm in the process of giving this a try. One thing I've noticed is so far I havn't gotten the red led flashing even momentarily after holding down the power, so I'm wondering if thats a bad sign.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ssingh44

so been at it for over while now, after 15 retries still no go, and still no red light any other ideas?
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Try holding down the Power Button and both volume buttons for 15 seconds and then release. Watch the front to see if the red light flashes. Report back.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

I have a few other questions:
Do you only have the charger that came with the unit?
Do you suspect charger Problems?
The outlet you are plugged in to, are you sure it is energized, or may it be energized by a switch?
How long have you had the PB?
How long has it been in the present state?
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

I just re read your original posting. I think RIM will help you. Give them a call. I' m in Milton by the way. I love the PB and so far it has worked great.
Rim Support
Tel:
Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com
(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support in Canada:
http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
Phone : 800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)

The correct URL for the PlayBook support in France is:
http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/overview.jsp#!playbook-support
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ssingh44

Lost at Sea, thanks for all your help so far,

The charger I'm using right now, is a charger I use for my other playbook and it does indeed work fine, and when I connect the other playbook to it, it also goes into charge mode, so I'm confident that the charger is good.

I'll give RIM a call hopefully they'll have some advice or be able to offer me some repair options. You've been great though, so thanks for sticking around.

Please use plain text.