Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
keithsBB
My Device: Torch 9800 & Playbook
Accepted Solution

Desktop Software on Mac unable to recognise Playbook after installing new 2.0 Playbook software

When connect the Playbook to the Mac I get this message:  "The BlackBerry® Desktop Software cannot connect with this device".  The options are to cancel, retry, or repair.  Retry and repair do not solve the problem.  The Playbook previously synced without any problems.  However, the most recent Playbook software update seems to have caused the issue.  I have reinstalled the BB desktop software on the Mac, but it still doesn't work. I reboot the Playbook, and still no joy.  I suspect a reinstall of the Playbook software may be a good idea but this doesn't sppear to be an option having viewed the BB website.

The BB desktop Mac software still Syncs with my BB Torch.

Any help appreciated!

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
FozzieBear
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Desktop Software on Mac unable to recognise Playbook after installing new 2.0 Playbook software

[ Edited ]

Hello keithsBB,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

The following article will assist regarding the issue you are experiencing with detecting your BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet within your BlackBerry® Desktop Software:

Troubleshooting connection issues between BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac and BlackBerry smartphone or BlackBerry PlayBookhttp://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB30315

We hope this helps.

Thank you.

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dave99
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Desktop Software on Mac unable to recognise Playbook after installing new 2.0 Playbook software

MAC with Mountain Lion won't recognize my new PlayBook. PB is properly connected and shows up as RIM NETWORK DEVICE. My first Sync of 3000 tracks did not work after a couple of hours of wasted time. Nothing but problems after the attempted sync. The PB appears to be more trouble than it's worth. I have repaired the PB three (3) times and downloaded the replacement software thus losing all my recorded videos and photos. Can anybody help me out before I return the PB for a refund?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dave99

Did you resolve the issues with your PB?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
keithsBB

I deleted all Bb files from my Mac and 'unrecognised' the Playbook on the desktop software and then started again. It worked, but even now a sync takes about 3 hours! It's not good. So I'm getting an iPad. It's a shame because I like the Playbook but there are too many compatibility issues, eg doesn't sync native calendar and contacts, - only the tethered version from the phone.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

[ Edited ]

Dave, keith, firstly Mountain Lion did something to mess up the connections, Lion was perfect.  Secondly if you have to rely on syncing to manage your media, you need to take control and learn about drag and drop. Thirdly my email contacts and calendar sync flawlessly since 2.0 was introduced.

________
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
keithsBB

[ Edited ]

Read previous post slowly and carefully.  My Pb syncs perfect well too with the bridge calender and contacts.  The point is that the native calender and contacts don't do that yet! I see that as a design flaw - as do many many others who are entitled to their opinion.  I'm perfectly aware of the other file sharing options.

As for the ipad which costs a 'fortune' - you have no idea how much I have paid for it, - but is a fraction of the RRP or what I paid for the PB.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

[ Edited ]

OK I apologise for my remark about Moutain Lion, it too is perfect, I just realised I had just typed in the wrong Tablet Network Name.  The one for my other perfect Playbook. At least Playbook allows you to network on Wifi and drag and drop files. Try that on your eyepad.

Native email syncs perfectly with contacts and calendar on my three hotmail and one gmail accounts. Don't know what your problem is.

If you want respect, ask a question or provide answers for others.  

________
Please use plain text.
ChadB
My Device: .

Hi all,

Let's try to keep this discussion on-topic, and as always please try to keep all posts appropriate and courteous.

Thanks,

ChadB
Community Moderator
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dave99

Is there any way of knowing if there are indeed major issues with the PB and Mountain Lion? Is RIM aware of them? Is anything being done to rectify the problems?  Does anybody know?

Please use plain text.