Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Desktop Software on Mac unable to recognise Playbook after installing new 2.0 Playbook software

Question about "Drag and Drop".  I have been doing it ever since the first Mac came out in the 1980s. I was not aware you can use it between a Mac and a PlayBook or a BB or an iPhone, for that matter. Is that what you are implying? If that's an easier way to sort of "sync", I'm interested in finding out more about it.

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Re: Desktop Software on Mac unable to recognise Playbook after installing new 2.0 Playbook software

[ Edited ]

Enable wifi file sharing.

Connect to server using Finder to the playbook to establish wifi sharing connection

Open another Finder window.

Drag your required files from one windowto the other, for example mac pictures folder to playbook photos folder.

To drag across 7,000 smallish photos (exported to temp folder from Aperture in "Email Medium" size) to playbook takes maybe an hour. Sync with iphoto takes typically 4 hours.  

You may find it easier to use playbook tablet. Network name in connection rather than ip address

Eg. smb://PLAYBOOK-6DD4/Media

smb.jpg

Mountain lion and playbook are fine, I was using the tablet network name of my other playbook!

________
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks very much!  I'll try it.

Contributor

Please pardon my ignorance:

I have enable WiFi File Sharing in the System Preferences.

How do I "connect to server using Finder"?

√ Enable wifi file sharing.

? Connect to server using Finder to the playbook to establish wifi sharing connection

Open another Finder window.

Drag your required files from one windowto the other, for example mac pictures folder to playbook photos folder.

Contributor

Thanks again for your help

I got this message:

Contributor

Well, I got a lttle further by enabling file shariing also in the PB (Sorry).

Here's the last message I got and it would not connect:

Contributor

I got further along now.  I was able to connect to the PB over WiFi as a "Guest", no password requested. I opened a new Finder Window but no content (i.e. photos or music tracks) showed up in either window. Looks like I'm most of the way there. When we get it workig this process is great and possibly not known by many Mac users. If I can get it workig I will keep the PlayBook.

Thanks again.

David

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dave99 wrote:

Well, I got a lttle further by enabling file shariing also in the PB (Sorry).

Here's the last message I got and it would not connect:

Yiu worked out most of it. Connect as registered user but in Name field overtype your Mac username powerpcmac with playbook and the password is the playbook file sharing password ( well I usd the same password for file sharing as the main playbook password, but I am pretty sure its that one. The name playbook is in the same info screen as the tablet network name)

________
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Continuing from my previous post (just before this one)....

you should have one normal finder window for your Mac filesystem, and when you connect to server on Playbook you should get another one with all the folders in Playbook's media folder.

When you drag and drop to Playbook Finder will ask for youe permission. In that instance use the Mac username and password as it's a Finder operation that needs permission.

The correct landing zone for the drop action is usually at as low a level as possible, eg if dragging one photo across, drop is with its fellow photos in the relevant folder, If you drag a folder drop it into Photos' empty space or with fellow folders.

NB PLAYBOOK PHOTOS FOLDER WILL ONLY HOLD ONE LEVEL OF FOLDERS as far as I have been able to ascertain. If you drop in more than one level, Playbook will display only the lowest level folders as if they were at root level. 

Untitled.jpg

________
Contributor

This is ingenious! I'll try it again and get back to you. Your idea is publishable in my humble opinion.