Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Dave99
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Desktop Software on Mac unable to recognise Playbook after installing new 2.0 Playbook software

Well I finally got it workiing and although it's not perfect (i.e. full Mac functionality) it works just fine. I'm using an iMac with Mountain Lion and the BB Desktop Manager software does not work. The alternative is to transfer files back and forth between the PlayBook and the Mac using the WiFi interface. Thanks for your assistance. It might be helpful for others if the full set of instructions with appropriate screen shots are  available somewhere. Thanks to your help, I think I will keep my PlayBook instead of returning it in frustration.

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

Re: Desktop Software on Mac unable to recognise Playbook after installing new 2.0 Playbook software

[ Edited ]

This is the closest, but I doesn't explain everything, like the username to use and the bit about Tablet Network Name.  

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26068

Just to go off topic a bit, if you connect by USB and Linux you benefit greatly the Tablet Network Name as Linux does not support BB desktop and the IP address changes every time you connect with USB. Theoretically you can connect in exactly the same way using Mac and USB and the identical server name, but turn off wifi first.  Mac and Linux have the same Unix protocols in many cases. 

(I haven't tried it for some time and BB desktop usually starts spontaneously as soon as you connect the USB. )

The two minority groups - Mac users with Playbook - combine to form a subset of minorities that includes you, me, KeithBB before he went applewise, and roughy three other people in the world. 

________
Contributor
Dave99
My Device: Bold 9700

"The Mac will recognize the PlayBook as a CD drive and it is not necessary to use the BB DM" (Author's license). Has this capability been disabled in the later versions of the MAC operating suystem or the BB PB software/hardware?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOim3f0upZA&noredirect=1

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

It was never that easy for me, and I noticed in the vid that Blackberry Device Manager (not desktop manager) installed  somehow. He skimmed over that part.  He also had no password as yet on Playbook. Canadian accent - early adopter??

see one of the comments on Youtube 

"It worked perfectly in February when I got my PB. In fact the PB connected to all of my machines. Now that RIM has shipped improved versions of the Mac and Windows Desktop software, it no longer works. Hmmm.....  "

I did however connect to Ubuntu without any software at all, but I did have to do a manual connection by tablet network name. Never seen playbook just mount as an icon like that, even in Ubuntu.

________