Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook

Desktop manager 7.1 fails to restore Contacts and Calendar from backups

Today I discovered that I lost my contact and calendar lists on my playbook after upgrading to OS version 2.1.0.1032.

As a precaution I backed up my device data and apps using desktop manager 7.1 and used windows explorer to duplicate my media folder using the Z:drive option before I started the OS upgrade.

Since I learned how to deal with lost device data and apps on my BB smart phone I was confident that I could apply this knowledge to my Playbook too, just in case something happened.

Well, something happened. My PlayBook backup file became a trap even so the desktop manager manual said: “To restore all your smartphone data or tablet data, click All device data and settings.”

If one ‘thinks’ the phone learning curve can be applied to the Playbook one is doomed as I found out today. The PlayBook backup function for the contact and calendar listing behaves differently than for the BB phone. There is no warning in Desktop Manager 7.1 which says: “This backup file excludes contact and calendar data files which were manually built by the user and are not part of a synced email server”.

So this posting is about letting other users know to be aware of some OS 2.1.0.1032 short comings. If your contact and/or calendar list was manually built, i.e. it was not linked to an email account you might encounter the above issue.

When I noticed that my contact and calendar file did not sync with my email account I started to use my contact list for everything useful to remember not just contacts. There were many extra fields available in the PlayBook contact list which could not be matched with the limited fields found in other synced contact lists. So I built a big ‘Good to Know’ file with all kinds of info hoping that one day I could use it also with BB10.

Unfortunately this OS version wiped my contact and calendar lists which none of the other OS updates were able to do and the ‘Restore’ option via desktop manger 7.1 did not work!!!.  So it looks like some engineering wizard at RIM is trying to upset the non-linked contact list users with this release version.

I hope RIM finds this ‘group of moles(?)' and deals with these engineers before they can do anymore damage. Remember RIM, the object is to enjoy new updates not to fear them. It would be nice if desktop manager 7.2 would alert us users with a warning or lets us export these files via another tip like: “How can I back up contact and calendar files for the PlayBook“. I realize as of today that this problem was with me all along but came only to light after this OS release wiped my 2 lists completely. There is also no hint in the PB or Desktop user manuals!

For the time being I will use only my phone’s contact and calendar lists via the bridge as a work around  but I hope the responsible RIM manager reads this postings and tells his engineers to go forward not backwards. Tell them to include a backup feature for non-linked contact and calendar data in 7.2. Not everybody has linked data files or if this is RIM’s intention then let us users know upfront that one could loose his/her data.

If you ‘liked’ this posting click the ‘Thumb up’ box near by even so this issue has no solution at this point in time. Let’s hope RIM deals with this issue eventually.

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Desktop manager 7.1 fails to restore Contacts and Calendar from backups

Hi BB4matt,

This is a known issue and there are a number of threads on this. All I know at this point is that RIM is aware of the issue and hopefully we'll see some sort of resolution soon. I personally don't think that the data is lost, but just hidden - only time will tell for sure though.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Regular Contributor
VolvoBerry
My Device: BB PB 64Gb (Two) & Bold 9900 / Curve 9360

[ Edited ]

... had the same issue (after last update)!

Without knowing about the "Update", I bought for my wife a (brand new) BB - PB 64G...

After updating BOTH PB's software I noticed that ALL my contacts are GONE yet on her PB the e_mail "sync" did add all her contacts!

Clearly a "GLICH"... Extremely inconvenient one!

I understand that RIM is testing (and testing again!) the features embedded on BB 10 but...

Common RIM, make sure that everything is double checked BEFORE releasing... Once (the) "crippled" software is RELEASED, it will create a ripple effect not only between BB "aficionados" but with investors as well...

Cheers!

(PS: I'm afraid to reinstall my e_mail account, I need some of the messages stored on the BB PB!)

Elite I
Krypto

Here is a new KB article re: this issue:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB32774

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Regular Contributor
VolvoBerry

[ Edited ]

Thanks "Krypto"... KB32774 was issued two days ago... (on the 18th). Unfortunately, the explanations does not apply to my case... One day I'll have to start "RE - building" my address book; Daunting task, I should add! ( Names, addresses, birthdays... Notes) Thanks again, m.-

Elite I
Krypto

Hi guys,

RIM just released an update that is supposed to fix this problem (or so I've been told). If it helps, please let us know so that we can inform other users with the same issue. :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
VolvoBerry

Hello "Krypto"...
Would you know if the update is "pushed-in"?!?
(Again... Thanks!)
Regards,
m.-
Elite I
Krypto

It will be pushed eventually, but you can manually update by going to Options > Software Update, then touch the button to check for updates.

I've been told now that this update doesn't show the missing data, but I don't yet know if a Desktop Software restore will work to bring it back or not. It should keep this from being an issue in the future though.

Good luck!

Regular Contributor
VolvoBerry

[ Edited ]

... nope! "Restore" didn't help... It might be on the same "TUNE" with the e-mails, once gone... Gone forewer!
Thanks!
m.-

Elite I
Krypto

Too bad, but thanks for the heads up! Hopefully it won't take too long to restore the data. :smileysad: