Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: playbook

Desktop software

I have recently obtained a playbook and am having great difficulty in downloading the 'Desktop Software Manager' onto my PC, keep getting message that it contained a virus and was deleted by my MacAfee security, I have tried various sites and channels to try to download but all get same error message I wish to move photos and music from my PC to the Playbook, I have read the messages about using WiFi, I am 'of advancing years' and not IT literate !!! Any assistance...in plain speak... would be gratefully received

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Re: Desktop software

Wi-Fi Sharing

Complete the following steps to share files over a Wi-Fi connection for BlackBerry PlayBook:

1. From the BlackBerry PlayBook home screen, select the settings icon.
  2. Select Storage and Sharing.
  3. Toggle Wi-Fi Sharing to ON.
  4. Tap Properties to verify network identification information. (PlayBook name, password etc)
  5. From a Windows or Mac based computer on the same network as the BlackBerry PlayBook, navigate to the IP address of the BlackBerry PlayBook which can be found under Settings >About > Network.
    1. On a Windows computer, open the Run dialog box (shortcut of Windows Key + R) and type file:\\192.168.x.x or \\192.168.x.x (where 192.168.x.x should be replaced with the actual IP address of the BlackBerry PlayBook
    2. To find your actual wifi ip address go to Settings, About, then select Network on the dropdown box. The ip address is against "ipv4" and will always start 192.168
  6. Once the device is connected to the computer, navigate to the media folder which contains several sub-folders such as documentsmusicphotosvideos, etc, the BlackBerry PlayBook user can then move files between the computer and these folders.

Sarah.