Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
jliang
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Disappointed with the PlayBook!

Just got the PlayBook yesterday and considering return it, why? No multi-language input support!!! How come Apple made multi-language support so user friendly? Why BB's input language problem always a pain! So disappointed! I need East Asian language for work!

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Disappointed with the PlayBook!

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

At this point in time, the PlayBook is only available in North America so English is the primary language offered here. That said, RIM will be selling the PlayBook in other regions this summer, so mutilanguage support will be coming.

I also would not compare this to the Apple iPad as I seem to remember that it did not have multilanguage support initially (and for some time), and even now still has weak multitasking abilities at best (so the PlayBook has it beat there by a long shot). Regardless though, as I mentioned before, multilanguage support is likely coming later this summer.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,892
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Asian language support will release later, it is not available yet.

Why? Don't know.

if you're Bridged composing or reading email, you don't have asian languages available, identical to your BlackBerry?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Developer
wolfier
My Device: Not Specified

I know installation of non-English language packs and input methods have always been a pain in the older Blackberries (6xxx series) due to device storage limitations.

However, with 16GB of storage and a dual core 1GB processor, international fonts along with all the popular IMEs should be installed by default, even if they're not being used.  Really - I know the fonts are there, so the IMEs would just add at most 100MB to the total.  100MB in 16GB, that eliminates an entire class of problems and complaints.

RIM should really consider this, making the PB a truly international device, out-of-the-box, without installing additional language or input methods.  IMHO differentiating markets in this manner belongs to the last century.

It would also make the number of different devices smaller - so no need to name it 9100, 9120, 9130, 9230, 9550, etc.  that's extremely confusing to consumers.  Just make a few omni devices.  Give them easy-to-remember names.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jujusk
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: rogers

Playbook needs to offer better functionality then Torch.

1)  Right now when reading e-mail through bridge some links are not active but the same e-mail read through web browser on Playbook has links active. Same links are active on my BB Torch.

2) Why I cannot zoom when reading or writing  e-mail though bridge but can do so when using webmail through browser.

Both 1) and 2) make the bridge useless.   

I bought Playbook to test it before I would recommend it to my organization (> 4000 employees).  Until the above are fixed, entry of information gets as easy as it is on BB Torch or similar, and Adobe Reader gets full functionality (no worse than on my lap top) - I will not recommend Playbook as it is not a WORKBOOK but a useless toy.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jliang

Great comments! But I have to say that install East Asia language is still a pain. It was easy for a while but the installation option is disappeared in the latest version of Desktop Manager, don't know why.

There are 6 pre-installed languages in the Playbook: English(US), English(UK), French, Spanish, Dutch and Italian. If there are only English and French then it is reasonable for Canadian version, of course add Spanish for users in the States. I am wondering how they picked the pre-installed languages. If not based on population then what? Personal preference? In this case Apple definitely won.  

I'm sure it is not a technical difficulty. Hopefully it will get better soon!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jliang

It display Chinese perfectly even better than my BB Bold. It just can't type.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jliang

And you can not copy any text in an email uless you click Reply then copy.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

As they say, patience is a virtue here. Asian language support should be coming - I just wish I could say when. But hopefully we'll get more details once RIM releases the device in more regions (likely in the next couple of months).

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
wolfier
My Device: Not Specified

For now, I'm trying to use http://www.chinesecj.com/ime/cj5.php for Chinese inputs. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.