Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
9fingers
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: T Mobile

Document folders do not transfer to PB. All pdf files transfer enmass. Help?

I want to transfer files to my PB to carry with me.  Right now if I transfer a file it opens up upon transfer so if I have 5 folders with 10 files each, instead of getting 5 folders in the Adobe doc folder I get 50 individual files.  Ugh!!!  Called tech support and was told this had to go to a committee and it could be 3-4 months before they even address it.  Bought the PB to carry work with me but cannot spend the day looking through individual files.  Ipad is not much better but it is better than this.

Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Quila467
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Document folders do not transfer to PB. All pdf files transfer enmass. Help?

You can create folders on the Playbook using your computer and you can organize your files in those folders.  However, the Playbook ignores all folders and just gives you one long list of files.  Even when you use the Bridge browser, you'll see folders on your Blackberry, but not on the Playbook.

Hopefully their committee is paying attention to these forums.  The last computer I remember having that didn't recognize folders was an Apple ][+ in the early 80's.  RIM definitely dropped the ball on this feature.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
9fingers

Re: Document folders do not transfer to PB. All pdf files transfer enmass. Help?

Exactly.  I bought this specifically to take files with me but having to look through 100's of pdf files which could be in a handful of folders is not what I expected.  BB was created and/or has become the business phone on the market and that what I thought PB was going to follow up with.  When the tech told me it could be months before the committee looks at the issue and then months to fix if they think it worthwhile, I was shocked.  That is past my 30 day window to return it to Best Buy.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
9fingers

It would be so simple to fix.  Allow folders.  Open with one tap.  Then open an individual pdf.  To close, swipe up once to close the document.  Swipe up a second time would close the file.  Simple.  Please RIM make this update ASAP.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
belchski
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: bell

Welcome to Playbook
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
alex61
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

I have the same problem. PB support told I just could not transfer the folders and I agree with you it sucks! However , I transfered my folders to my documents folder on the micro sd ccard on my torch 9800 and they all show up. I simply tap bridge files , then select torch instead of PB and it gives me a list of all my sd card folders . Then I open the document folders and voila , there are my files , all in their individual folders. I know it's **bleep** backwards , especially when you pay extra for 64GB of memory , and you have tostore your documents on your phone...

A

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Neutron
My Device: Curve 3G (9330) | PlayBook (64GB)
My Carrier: Sprint

I was surprised by that at first, too. But the search function works great from within Reader and it's really quick to find the file I want. For me, it's akin to the way emails are managed within gmail: no folders, you simply search for the message you're looking for.
Neutron
Curve 3G (9330) | PlayBook (64GB)
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Quila467

Neutron wrote:
I was surprised by that at first, too. But the search function works great from within Reader and it's really quick to find the file I want. For me, it's akin to the way emails are managed within gmail: no folders, you simply search for the message you're looking for.

Gmail doesn't just search subject lines, it lets you search the content of the messages and it's extremely quick.  You can also apply labels to emails to so you can group emails together, kind of like folders.

The search in the Adobe Reader app lets you search for text in the file name only.  It doesn't search for directory names and there's no way to search within the PDF files.

Saying that the search function in the Adobe Reader app is akin to the way emails are managed in gmail is like saying that using the tricycle that RIM sold us is akin to driving a Mercedes.  It's not.  Not only that, but we bought the tricycle for the same price as a Mercedes.  Thanks RIM.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Neutron
My Device: Curve 3G (9330) | PlayBook (64GB)
My Carrier: Sprint

Quila467 wrote:

Saying that the search function in the Adobe Reader app is akin to the way emails are managed in gmail is like saying that using the tricycle that RIM sold us is akin to driving a Mercedes.  It's not.  Not only that, but we bought the tricycle for the same price as a Mercedes.  Thanks RIM.

Three things:

1. Akin = comparable, or similar, not identical.
  2. Search, as is, works for me. I have 1200+ PDFs on my PB that I use for work and I have yet to have a problem locating the files I needed.  Of course, I am familiar with my document library and use a logical naming convention that's conducive to keyword searches.
  3. Lastly, while there's plenty of room for improvement for the PB, I'm just not sure how many people share your level of disappointment.  However, based on the tone of your post and the overall sentiment that you've conveyed, it's a wonder that you don't simply return your "tricycle" and continue shopping for the "Mercedes" that you were looking for.

Neutron
Curve 3G (9330) | PlayBook (64GB)
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Quila467

I too keep my files very organized, however that organization relies on a directory structure.  I have multiple files that have the same file name, but are in different directories.  I have been using this directory and file naming structure for the last 12 years and I'm not about to change it because RIM doesn't think directories are important.  Renaming the files to suit RIM is just not an option for me.  I have a lot more than 1200 files that I would like to store on the Playbook.  Ideally, we'll have a Dropbox app at some point that will help me keep those files syncronized between the four computers I use to access them (would be 5 with the Playbook).

The tricycle/Mercedes analogy was for comparing Adobe Reader search on the Playbook to Gmail search.  I don't think they are "akin" at all, but used the same word you used just to make a point.  It's great that the Adobe Reader search works for you, but it doesn't work for me and I doubt that I'm alone.  The Adobe Reader for Playbook doesn't really work for me even for viewing the PDFs because it is missing so many features.

I like the Playbook.  I think it has a lot of potential.  I like the form factor and I like the Blackberry Bridge part of it.  But I don't think it is anywhere near ready to be released to the general public.  The problems I have with the Playbook are all software related so I know they can be fixed, it's just a matter of whether or not RIM actually fixes them.  Since RIM doesn't like to keep their customers informed on what their plans are, I'm left to get more and more frustrated with the Playbook.  I don't like seeing posts that say "this feature is good enough" because some developers at RIM might look at that and think, "ok, we don't need to fix that."

Please use plain text.