Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
Spy520
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone Qatar
Accepted Solution

Does BlackBerry Bridging or Tethering ..

Does BlackBerry Bridging or Tethering or whatever it called.

What I mean is can I connect the PlayBook to the internet using my Torch? If yes, will it use the normal BIS plan over BlackBerry.net APN or it will use the Generic APN having me to pay at normal rate or getting a Tether plan?
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Does BlackBerry Bridging or Tethering ..

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

tether requires an additional charge on your data plan. bridge uses your device and does not cost anything additional.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

knottyrope wrote:
tether requires an additional charge on your data plan. bridge uses your device and does not cost anything additional.

But... there is always a but...

If you depend only on the Bridge, bear in mind that you can use only the BB apps in the BlackBerry Bridge section of your home.screen. For example, you can do FaceBook using the Bridge Browser but you can't use the FaceBook app via the Bridge. You can watch YouTube on the Bridge Browser but you can't use the YouTube app. In addition, none of the apps from appworld will connect through the Bridge nor can developers write apps that interact with BB applications on your smartphone.

So if you can live without your third party apps when out of wifi range then Bridge is you ticket. If you need the apps wherever you roam, not so much.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

thats tru about the apps now, i hope they can change that part in the future. i am fortunate to be in wifi range almost every where i go. i can live with that. soon there will be 3g and LTE versions which will be offering better performance than tethering plus you can still bridge too. For just a little more than a tether charge you will get more with a dedicated dataplan than tethering. thats what i would do if i did knot have great wifi coverage in my travels.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Spy520

That's fine, my Data plan insures me UNLIMITED Data with Youtube, so I don't think I need more than that.

I have been a BlackBerry user over 2 years and don't have any single 3rd party app except Capture it, and don't think I will have on the PlayBook.

When I thought about buying the PlayBook I though I would only use it for Browsing, Chat(as on WLM as I don't use BBM a lot) and playing some games or watching movies which should never take anything out of my Data or be counted as Data charges. Also for the Wi-Fi coverage I did solve this issue before thinking of buying the PlayBook by getting a Mi-Fi device which I can take it anywhere with me as I have USB Modem Internet SIM.

However for the Bridge Browser can it load flash? Or it only depends on what the BlackBerry Smart phone can do?

Guys, last question please, does buying PlayBook from BestBuy need to show the National ID card to prove you are an American.
Because last year when I came, they didn't allow me buying the Torch as I didn't have an American ID and when I showed them my old American Driving license when I used to live in the US in the late 90s they also refused.

I hope they did only that because the Torch was branded to AT&T but won't do the same with PlayBook for being a Wi-Fi only device as an iPod for example or iPad Wi-Fi only correct?
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Yes bridgebrowser will open flash sites.

Since the wifi only model had no carrier ties, it should not be an issue. When I went to BBWC11 I heard all surrounding stores were out of paybook because international travelers went to buy them.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Spy520

That's awesome, so I will cancel my Generic Mobile Internet plan at last lol!

Actually that is really a good improvement done by RIM to allow us using BIS data over a Tablet, as the Generic plan here in Qatar is so costly and I won't afford to pay for the Generic and BIS both, actually I can afford doing that but I see it waste of money.

By the PlayBook I will just push away my laptop to wherever I can't see it lol would be useless after the PlayBook.

Thanks for letting me know all these info, but I am sorry when I was reading here some topics, found some written that in case a PlayBook was wiped, I will lose NFS Under cover and it is limited to some countries only for Free download.

I know once the word limited is said = NOT IN QATAR! Lol

So I need to know is there a possible way to know which countries are supported, how to take a back-up of the game in case my country wasn't supported as I like testing out new staff on my BlackBerry devices specially testing out new leaked OS which I love to WIPE the device first to have a fresh clean install.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

desktop manager can be used to backup the apps and when using desktop manager to reset to factory, you dont lose the apps.

look to see if your country is supported.

http://www.blackberry.com/app_includes/devicesoftware/appworld/appworld_availability_en.html

i see qatar listed

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Spy520

So what they ment is that the countries that support App World have free access to download NFS...!

Awesome, <3 Egypt, Qatar & Canada lol!

Thanks for the instant reply. Now I have asked all questions in mind and need nothing more excpet rest :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.