Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
bobsimmo
My Device: Plabook 64gb

Re: Doesn't save wi-fi networks after turning off

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply. I did what you suggested, and the contents of the boxes were as TexTucker  said:      Playbook-xxxx, workgroup and playbook.

Contributor
wonder1-47100
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!

[ Edited ]

Okay, BOBSIMMO, that's great so far. So now, we must dissect the problem step by step until we find what computer or router instruction is preventing your PlayBook from using your "saved" WI--FI configuration. 99% of the time, one thinks there is something wrong with a device and all along it was just some minor instruction that was not set appropriately. I am basing this on the fact that a computer cannot do things unless a human instructs it on what to do. So with that assumption, let's dissect, okay?

First.... Is the WORKGROUP name on your PlayBook EXACTLY the same as it is on your LAN? To find the name on the LAN, go to the place I said before (CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM on your pc). Make sure that both devices, your pc and your BBPB, call it the same thing i.e. first is it a WORKGROUP or a HOMEGROUP; and then make sure the NAME OF THE WORKGROUP or the HOMEGROUP ---- "XXX" ---- is the same on your LAN and on your BBPB.

Second... If you find that everything is okay there, then start going back to checking all the settings I mentioned, expecially "MIXED".  Tell me now: does your router say "MIXED"? If not, what does it say?  You can publicly say this without compromising your security or privacy.

Let's do those 2 things before we do any more.... Look forward to hearing from you (these things are very frustrating, I know, but eventually if we try everything we know we might just find the answer. It is usually so simple that it eludes us. Take it from one who has been through what you are going through. Till later then... 

Contributor
wonder1-47100
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!

[ Edited ]

Oh my gosh, BOBSIMMO, I just realized that I must have confused you a little bit as I was asking you to go back and check the "other settings I mentioned", I think I said. Well let me clarify .... you see, I was confusing your post with another post I replied to on a Wi-Fi problem recently. Sorry about that.

To explain what I meant by "MIXED", I am going to copy and paste my post to the other poster below. Look for the router setting in that post where I am talking about "MIXED" setting of different wireless cababilities by different computers, old and new i.e. B or G or N.

So check your router first for the various settings you see in my post to the other poster below. Tell me too, do you have a Linksys router ---- and if so, is it G or N capable? Do you know what I mean?

Why I was asking you about WORKGROUP / HOMEGROUP is that a more recent Windows operating system will refer to that as a HOMEGROUP. So if your PLAYbook is showing itself as a WORKGROUP member, your MASTER PC controlling the router will neither be able to "see" or be seen by your Playbook --- on your LAN. Let's get that little issue nailed down right away so we know which direction to go in. First things first, in other words. This is simply a process of elimination we are doing here.

With that in mind, please tell me:

1. Your MASTER pc's operating system version (the pc that is 'wired" to the router)?

2 Is that pc using the term "WORKGROUP" or  the term "HOMEGROUP" under CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEMS? 

(You can answer these 2 questions publicly here without risking your security or privacy).

Okay, now, here is the post I made to the other poster, simply because it has terms and procedures you might find useful in our little investigation together:

=======================================================================================

Re: Can't connect to wifi on my PB[ Edited ]  Hi DIANNAGEORGE,

I suspect that the problem is that your router has somehow been reset to DISABLE BROADCAST of your network name. If so, your PlayBook, EVEN IF YOU CAN SEE YOUR NETWORK NAME ON THE PLAYBOOK UNDER SAVED NETWORKS, cannot connect to it if it is set to find a broadcasted SSID. How do I know this? Well, to test out this theory, having read your problem described by you above, I DISABLED my SSID and tried to connect both automatically and manually. The PlayBook just wouldn't do it! What a surprise! 

I have done some more investigation and now find why. The PlayBook CAN CONNECT TO A HIDDEN NETWORK (SSID name) but to do this, YOU MUST CHECK OFF THE BOX in the "WiFi" screen in the PlayBook marked "HIDDEN SSID" --- if your router is set to "SSID - DISABLE". 

So check your router as follows for the following 6 settings - see what your router says they are first, as follows (I will assume that you have a CISCO --- LInksYs --- router):

Step 1: Enter your router through your browser

Step 2: Go to the tab titled "WIRELESS"

Step 3: Now go to the tab you see titled "BASIC WIRELESS SETTINGS"

Step 4: Check the following 6 settings and make adjustments as you see fit (I will give suggestions after each one below)

setting: NETWORK MODE.

Here, if the network mode is set to B, G or N, change it to MIXED. This is always a wise thing to do if you have a lot of devices/ computers/ tablets where you are not sure of their security handling protocols (especially if some of your computers are very old --- or if you add a device like this tablet). Changing the setting to MIXED won't hurt your network or impact other computers --- all it will do is slow down the network to the speed of the slowest device you have (and who knows, maybe this PLAYBOOK can't handle your N router speed).

neXt setting you see is: NETWORK NAME --- just make sure it is the name you assigned  (patience, the final step below is the key)

next setting is: CHANNEL WIDTH ---- use "AUTO" if you are not sure what to use here

next setting is: WIDE CHANNEL --- this will be blanked out grey if you used AUTO in CHANNEL WIDTH

next setting is: STANDARD CHANNEL --- this will be blanked out grey if you used AUTO in CHANNEL WIDTH

next setting is: SSID BROADCAST

Is the little button set to "DISABLED"? 

If so, here is your problem in a nutshell --- Change it to "ENABLE"

Now your PlayBook will instantly find your network, as it can "see" it (if the PB has NOT been set to "hidden SSID").

========================================================================================= 

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

The LAN settings, such as "Workgroup" will have nothing to do with connecting to the router. They are only network settings for AFTER the PB is connected to the router.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
bobsimmo

[ Edited ]

Thanks again Wonder. Can I take a step back here? ( I need to anyway, I'm about at the limit of my brain power reading this techie stuff :Helpsmilie:)

My Sky router is only hardwired to my Sky HD TV box. All computers/tablets/phones in the house are connected to the router by wi-fi, so, no computer should be interfering with the playbook. (all turned off at the moment anyway)  Anyway, just had a brainwave (for me!) and remembered that I can set my Nokia Lumina Windows phone to 'tether'. I don't use this feature normally, so didn't think to try it before. Anyway, I connected the Playbook to the phone no problem, it saved the network - as it does the Sky router - but again, after rebooting the Playbook, no networks were saved.

OK, it's not a great problem, it's not hard to manually connect, but it's my wife's tablet, and she is even less 'techie' than me, and always moans about it (like they do!)

So, even though I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, can I say it's not another computer causing this problem, or the router, but the Playbook itself? It saves all networks that it has connected to (so far as I have tried) until it is turned off, then they are lost. .................my brain hurts, never had these problems with my Amiga 500.

Contributor
wonder1-47100

[ Edited ]

Yes, it can indeed be baffling but I assure you it is a 99.9% probability that there is nothing wrong with your PlayBook or your router and that it is just one little setting either in the router or the BBPB that is causing this (unless you consider that there is a defect in your particular BBPB memory --- but you could test that theory by going to a friend's house or to coffee shop, connecting to their Wi-Fi, save that configuration and then turn off the BBPB and see if the FRIEND'S router saved configuration is still there or  COFFEE SHOP'S Wi-Fi setting is still saved for future use.

Once you experiment like that, then you can consider these possibilities:

--- If the network connection is still saved after bootup at the coffee shop or friend's place, then you have a problem with YOUR OWN router's settings most likely. Try to connect now at this fridnd's place or coffee shop. What did you find it did? 

--- If it isn't saved then I think you can reasonably conclude that the problem resides in either an incorrect setting right in the BBPB or there is something wrong with your memory in the BBPB and you will have to contact RIM Support (you have a 90 day support --- and hardware guarantee if you need the BBPB replaced --- from RIM).

But, before you do all that...

Step 1: Connect your BBPB to your Wi-Fi manually, as you described you can do.

Step 2: Then in the Wi-Fi setting on the BBPB (3rd down on the SETTINGS list), TAP on PROBLEM NETWORKS. Tell me what it says. Does it say "no problem networks" or what?

Step 3: You are now connected manually. Let's make sure you SAVE this MANUAL connection before you shut the BBPB down.

STep 4: Now go to SAVED NETWORKS on the "Wi-Fi" screen in SETTINGS.

Step 5: TAP your SSID name (the name of your LAN network) that you see there.

STep 6: Now it says "SAVE" and "SAVE AND CONNECT". TAP on SAVE (even if it is saved already) 

Step 7: Before you shut down to test booting up again, write down the settings that you see on the screen which popped up when you saved the network. If you change anything in the list below, write down what you changed on a piece of paper for later in case you need to change it back, as it is very easy to forget with all these settings.

This "saved" screen should show the following information (see if there is anything that looks odd there. You might just catch something you recognize as being wrong, I mean):

---------------------- ENABLE PROFILE (Is it turned to ON? If not, turn it ON, as this alone could be your problem!

---------------------- PROFILE NAME (should show name of your LAN)

---------------------- SSID (should show name of your LAN)

---------------------- HIDDEN SSID (if your SSID name is not broadcast by your router, you should check-mark this box

---------------------- SECURITY TYPE (this info comes from your router e.g. WEP, WPA etc)

---------------------- PASSWORD (an " *************"  password should be appearing here)

---------------------- VPN profiles (you don't want to know! It probably says "none selected". Don't change it)

---------------------- AUTOMATICALLY OBTAIN IP ADDRESS (this box should have a checkmark to enable. If not, checkmark it --- and remember that you did it in case you have to change it back later. Write down any changes made.)

---------------------- ENABLE IPv6 (this box is probably not checked. Leave it alone if so.)

---------------------- USE HTTP PROXY (this box is probably not checked. Leave it alone if so)

---------------------- ALLOW INTER ACCESS POINT HANDOVER (this box is probably not checked. Leave it alone if so)

Consider and test the 2 possibilities above --- but you cannot just guess and hope you are right. There are just THOUSANDS of possibilities leading to the problem. These 2 are worth testing --- do the router thing and the save thing as described above.

I will not be able to get back to you for at least 20 hours now. Good luck.

You can only reduce the nuimber of possibilities by testing each theory one at a time. Remember, a computer can only do what you tell it to do. It cannot think by itself so somehow somewhere, either in Windows software, the router software or the BBPB software, there is probably a setting that isn't right ----- or as I say, then you can narrow it down to hardware (bad memory chip maybe / wrong boot-up config etc.) 

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

This is very a complex analysis, and I don't see the relevance.

In all cases we have reviewed on here it is the router settings that are incompatible. Hidden SSID being the most usual, but encryption incompatibilities the next most likely. If the Playbook sets itself up automatically then I don't see how changing settings will help.  None of those settings will prevent it saving. I have changed them all in the past with no problems.   Talking about memory chip errors is just plain irrelevant.

Yes, trying a friend's router (different type) is a good idea, so is the coffee shop. See if they are saved.

But more importantly I suggest making sure in router settings, the SSID is not hidden and encryption is changed to WPA2 (personal) type AES then tell us if it helped.  

[ Edited ]

I'm very grateful for the time you guys have put into helping me, what a good bunch of guys. Anyway, I've not tried a different router yet, but I will go try my daughter's later. I did try using my phone's tethering though and the Playbook didn't save that either. I've just checked all the settings that you both mentioned, and they are all as you said they should be.SSID is not hidden, and security type is 'WPA2 Personal. The other settings are all as Wonder said they should be.

Update: Just tried the daughter's Netgear wi-fi, same result. Connects OK, saves the network, but turn it off and back on again, and it says no saved networks. AAARRRGGGHHH.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

@wonder, I have to agree with Tex on this.  I realize you're trying to help with your analysis but 1) it's too long, and 2) most of it is irrelevant as Tex already noted. 

@bobsimmo At this point, it should be clear that there is no "setting" on the BBPB that will tell it NOT to save the wifi networks when turned off. Most likely, something is just corrupted in the software.

My suggestion is (after the motorbike repair, of course) to do an OS reload (commonly called a debrick) on the PlayBook.  This process will wipe the Playbook of it's data and the OS, and then reload the OS back to the device.

Make sure you do a backup of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

If you don't yet have it, this can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the backup is complete unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

With Desktop Software open on your computer and the PlayBook powered off, connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see an error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the "Update" option.

This will process erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard.  

You can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information, but before you do that see if you can connect to your wifi network, save it, power off the device, and have the networks still saved after it powers back up.  The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

This should solve the problem. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!