Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Rick_BP
My Device: Playbook 10
My Carrier: verizon
Accepted Solution

Down to last password attempt, anyway to save files that have not been backed up?

So my sister bought a Playbook 10 last December, but recently after recharging it began asking for a password, it never wanted a password before, and she is sure she never set one. Still she went through 9 different passwords that she uses elsewhere, hoping something would work. But now she is down to the very last try, and a full wipe will occur if it is incorrect. She has videos and pictures that she desperately wants to save.

Is there anyway that the factory can reset this if it is sent in with proof of purchase? Or is there any other option that might save stored files that have never been backed up?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
sarah75
My Device: Playbook

Re: Down to last password attempt, anyway to save files that have not been backed up?

[ Edited ]

Has anyone recently sideloaded any android apps for you? Dev mode password becomes the playbook password by default. 

Otherwise, someone has set the password and you can't even backup without it. Anyone been playing with it? Any practical jokers? If so the data is not recoverable by anyone. 

If you have turned on wifi file sharing and used it very recently you may be able to copy the files across manually. 

Sarah.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rick_BP
My Device: Playbook 10
My Carrier: verizon

Re: Down to last password attempt, anyway to save files that have not been backed up?

Thanks for the reply Sarah!

No, no practical jokers, just kids. Her young nephews have only played videos that are already recorded, they wouldn't know the protocols of setting up a password anyways, They are only 3 and 6

Nothing has been sideloaded yet, though that was my intention to help my sister. She needs to get the Kindle cloud reader on her Blackberry, and I got documentation to do this but never was able to attempt it. The next time I used the tablet it had just received a full charge and all of a sudden it wanted a password, so no sideload attempt was ever made.

She uses her home wifi network for internet but I'm afraid she never turned on sharing, she isn't real tech savvy about sharing or backups, and now the piper to pay!

Thanks again for your help, I'll inform her that maybe "password" is worth the last ditch try, everything else that she knows has failed.

Rick and Karen

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

If you did not set a password, the previous own most likely set a password by some means, and never told anyone.

With a Windows PC, load the Desktop Manager.

Turn off the Playbook by holding the power button for about 20 seconds. Connect the Playbook to the PC via its USB cable. In the Desktop Manager make a re-load of the operating system.

You will be re-starting the Playbook with a new install of its operating system. Without the proper password the Playbook is useless anyways...

With my Playbook, I don't keep very much of confidential files. I found it inconvenient to have a password with this tablet. My only consern would be for my emails. But, the Playbook will not reveal the set up passwords for the email accounts.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.