Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
turdusturdus
My Device: playbook

Re: Downloading SKYPE

To KnottyRope: I take it that Guru status means something?

Please write down information more accurately, because it's bad enough when there are so many posts that one cannot understand, just like the one above your latest post!!

Anyway, I put reel portal into the AppWorld Search to discover ReelPortal Video Chat (Private and Public versions).
However, neither version works with Skype, so it's not of real use to those whose friends are on that application.

I do think that my previous comment about having Skype on my OS6 Blackberry should mean that it will be on the QNX based smartphones that are due sometime soon. That being the case, it should be on the Playbook already.

Is there any definite news about that situation????

Contributor
mohdafifi
My Device: Torch 9810

It's Imo.im :Clap:

Loving_Life
My Device: 9860

hey man, chill out. Its not RIMs fault. Go bark at SKYPE.

That knotty dude is a Guru and maybe he is human after all and partaking in todays event

Hey man, Happy 420. Enjoy the wonderful blackberry. Peace out my froggies.
Eir
Contributor
Eir
My Device: Z10

We are not discussing here whether there is an audio/video chat app for the PlayBook, but the possibility to use exactly SKYPE on the PlayBook, with at least audio (and, why should we not want video, too).

Skype might not be the best application in its category, and we can name a long list of things which are wrong with Skype, but Skype has become a standard, and many people do large amount of their business and private conversation exactly through the Skype network.

A substitute is not a solution, since nobody wants to tell to all his/hers contacts (especially the business ones) "hey could we use a different programme YouNameIt instead of Skype? Cause, you know, my new top-of-the-line tablet does not support Skype."

So all replies that offer a solution different than audio/video chat via the Skype network, are actually OFF-TOPIC in this thread.

http://eir3.com
Loving_Life
My Device: 9860

:Offtopic:  whoa man....... just did that https://imo.im/ bit and wow, talked with my bud in mexico on my playbook, i can live with out vidoe for a bit

Hey man, Happy 420. Enjoy the wonderful blackberry. Peace out my froggies.
Eir
Contributor
Eir
My Device: Z10

Thanks for the hint! Imo.im works, audio chat, only I experienced some delay. But far better than nothing!

I hope that there will at least be an IMO.IM app for the PlayBook if we have to give up Skype.

Cool down man :-) I was referring to the discussion about ReelPortal.
http://eir3.com
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

http://reelportal.blogspot.com/p/how-to-use.html

seems like a good app to use, I am going to try it tonight as I know someone else on it.

it might not be skype but anohter way to conenct to others.

There is also IM + that connects to skype too as well as IMO

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

[ Edited ]

turdusturdus wrote:

To KnottyRope: I take it that Guru status means something?

Please write down information more accurately, because it's bad enough when there are so many posts that one cannot understand, just like the one above your latest post!!

Anyway, I put reel portal into the AppWorld Search to discover ReelPortal Video Chat (Private and Public versions).
However, neither version works with Skype, so it's not of real use to those whose friends are on that application.

I do think that my previous comment about having Skype on my OS6 Blackberry should mean that it will be on the QNX based smartphones that are due sometime soon. That being the case, it should be on the Playbook already.

Is there any definite news about that situation????

Guru status means he knows what he is talking about.   Look atvthecnumber of likes all time.  

No Reel Portal doesnot work with skype.  It is a substite.  You can put the app on your pc and video chat away.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Trusted Contributor
turdusturdus
My Device: playbook

This posting list started with the title Downloading Skype.
Anything other than how RIM is going to work that into the Playbook is irrelevant, even if we have to say that again!

Please answer questions about Skype, and forget the other applications; so many people (in my case, several family members) are on Skype that it is important that RIM understand who needs it.

Businesses, family, friends are not always on their computers at home, but can use other tablets, as I can testify.

We can not do so: what is RIM going to do about it?

As I mentioned before, Skype is on my Blackberry; it has the phone's small screen. But it is not on the Playbook tablet, where it needs to be.

So??????

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

turdusturdus wrote:

As I mentioned before, Skype is on my Blackberry; it has the phone's small screen. But it is not on the Playbook tablet, where it needs to be.

So??????

Sorry, Skype is not available at this time.

I dont see much hope on Skype forums either, but you should post your concern there too

http://community.skype.com/t5/Other-devices/blackberry-playbook/m-p/142660#M775

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V