Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: playbook 64g
My Carrier: orange
Accepted Solution

Downloading android apps via Goodereader on to playbook

Following useful tips from other forum members I have installed the Goodereader DDPB software on my lap top. I have then downloaded a couple of their most popular apps onto the lap top with a view to transfering them across to my playbook.

With the USB cable connecting the playbook with the lap top, I then open the DDPB browser and successfully connect with the right IP address and password. Next I highlight within the browser one of the apps installed on my lap top. Then within DDPB, I click on 'install' (to playbook).

A panel then immediately pops up (within a second) that reads 'done'. However, when you move the message out the way, there is a message behind it which says "Error - bar file does not exist"........   And the app is not suprisingly is nowhere to be found on Playbook.

It does the same for all of the Goodereader apps (4) that I have installed on my lap top.

Am I missing anything obvious?

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Damian   

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Downloading android apps via Goodereader on to playbook

An alternate way that works with WiFi instead of cable on Windows, Intel Macs and Linux.

You install Chrome browser on your computer that you are using to download and sideload.
Then you add the extension 'Playbook App Manager' from Chrome's Spanner, then Settings, Extensions, then Get More Extensions (or Gallery if you have none yet)
Download the required .bar file from Goodereader.com (Playbook Apps)
Have both computer and Playbook connected by wifi to your router. (No usb cable!)
Ensure File Sharing and wifi sharing are enabled in Playbook (Settings, Storage and Sharing)
Put the Playbook in Development Mode (Settings, Security, Development Mode) and add a password, preferably your normal Playbook password.
Look at the IP address of the playbook by tapping the Development Mode icon when you top corner swipe.
It will begin 192.168. when using wifi.

Go to Chrome in the computer and go Spanner, Settings, Extensions, then select “Options” in Playbook App Manager.

Type the IP address you noted in Device Hostnames/IP

Click Save

Click on the IP address where it says ‘manage your devices’.
Ignore the big red warning and click “Proceed Anyway”
Enter your password and click Log In.
A list of all playbook apps will appear.
Click on the Install button
Go to the folder where you downloded the .bar file from goodereader.com and click on open.
The app will be sideloaded.

My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

DDPB works perfect for me. Only obvious thing....you said you "highlight" the file, but did you click on the box to the left of the file? Did you browse for files?...maybe they have been moved for some reason.
New Contributor
My Device: playbook 64g
My Carrier: orange

Hi Jarviser,

Thanks for this useful tip - a couple of teething problems to start with e.g. firewall settings. but success eventually and now it works a treat.

Thanks again.

Damian
Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

Just for clarity sake, the author of DDPB is http://ddpb.dauden.vn/ and the latest version can be found there. You do not have to go to Goodereader to download and install DDPB. Though it's a good place to go to once you have it installed of course...make sure you're downloading BAR files and not APK files. Playbook will use signed BAR files...

And here is the DDPB user guide: http://ddpb.dauden.vn/?page_id=17

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

DDPB and DDHTool both only run on windoze. There are Mac and linux users out here. The Chrome extension works on all three OS and doesnt need the usb or drivers or JRE etc. etc.