Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
redleader
My Device: curve
My Carrier: virgin

DvD Film on Playbook

IM trying to get a DVD film to play on the Playbook...

Using windows 7

Have the DVD in drive, have Playbook linked on a cable to lap=top, but can't get the DVD to go to my Playbook...

Any ideas, can't find it on help any where. I'm presuming you can transfer a DVD to watch later on the Playbook..

Regards Peter

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tirgoman
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: DvD Film on Playbook

Not sure exactly how or what you're doing but I'd say it's a DRM issue. Almost all DVDs have digital rights management built into them to prevent copying. By trying to copy the DVD to your PB in essence you are trying to make a copy. If you google DRM removal you'll find all sorts of software to allow you to remove the DRM. It's your DVD and you should be able to do so for your own personal use but the big movie people obviously don't think so. The other thing to check is the file size of the movie, DVD movies are large and you need room on the PB. You could also try to copy the DVD to the hard drive on your laptop to see if it will copy, my guess is it won't unless you remove the DRM. So it's really not a PB problem.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
redleader
My Device: curve
My Carrier: virgin

Thank you very much for the info there, very helpful

Was hoping to watch a film on PB whilst at work, as don't have a WI=FI any idea how to go about playing and watching any film

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

hello,

it is done in two steps.
1) rip the DVD into a file, in a format that can be read by the playbook

2) copy the file to the PlayBook.

for 2) You can look at the help section about how to transfer files from a PC to the PlayBook, I use WiFi but you can also simply use the USB cable, with Windows Explorer.

for 1) you need to find a tool to rip the DVD. Most such tools are premium (as opposed to free), and a free one is handbrake which works perfectly provided there is no DRM.
http://handbrake.fr/details.php

the file format to use:
the one I recommend is :
- format MP4
- video codec : MPEG4 1600kbps
- audio codec : AAC stereo 44Hz 192kbps

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pdej
My Device: PlayBook 64Gb
My Carrier: no provider

A rip free, though laborious method is to use VLC to play the DVD and simultaneously stream and save to file on your PC. Then copy across to the PB. I have used this technique to "rip" DVD's for viewing on the PC though not as yet tried viewing them on the PB - so not sure what the best codec settings would be for the PB.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

MP4 file format
audio codec : AAC joint stereo 192kbps
video codec : any MPEG4, like XVID, 1800kbps

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
reconeyes
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

Forget the dvd and just download a torrent that has already been encoded to work on you pb...type the movie name followed by "torrent" into google and bobs your uncle...It will literally take you hours to prepare a dvd for the pb but only 10 mins to download a version that will work the first time...

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
reconeyes
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

But if you are hell bent on ripping the dvd yourself google "dvdshrink"....it will rip it and break the drm....you will then have to encode to a pb format....Do realize though break drm is more of an offense then downloading via a torrent network...

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tirgoman
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

If you own the dvd and you're only ripping it to play on your PB for your own use I wouldn't worry about it. In my opinion downloading a torrant that you don't own is a bigger problem. Ripping and then selling or giving away to others is also a big problem
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Depends on the copyright laws of the country you live in. In many, breaking drm is a bigger infringement than receiving an already-infringed copy, even if you own the original.

Of course, to really go by the book, you could always buy a legit video file from BB video, iTunes, amazon or some other vendor.. have never tried it but I hear some people do :smileywink:
Please use plain text.