Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64MB
Accepted Solution

E Books From Public Libraries

I have a 64GB Playbook and have recenttly installed OS 2. As i wished to use the PB as an e-reader for my wife, I purchased Overdrive from the BB App Store and it works perfectly provided the e book is a direct download from the public library. Where the e book is on the reserve list and I have to put a hold on it, the library sends an e-mail when it is available for download. When I hit the download button it sends me an .acsm file which can only be opened by Adobe Digital Editions. I have ADE on my home PC. The problem may be that I have set up an Adobe I.D. in my wife's name for the Playbook and another I.D. in my name for the home PC. Perhaps i need the same I.D. for both devices as Overdrive doesn't recognize the .acsm files. Any advice and guidance would be welcomed.

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10

Re: E Books From Public Libraries

You should be able to access your library through the Overdrive application and download the book directly to the PlayBook even if it is one you had on the reserve list. This is how my library works, so unless yours is specifically setup in a different way you should be OK.

I don't believe Adobe Digital Editions will recognize the PlayBook via USB, so I think downloading from within the Overdrive application is your only option at this point.
----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook

swotam is correct.

I got an email yesterday that a book I had been waiting for was ready for me. I went into the Overdrive app as he said, and the book was there under "wait list"

@}-`-,--
Web Development and Technical Services Librarian
New Contributor

Sorry for the delay in responding; I have been away for a couple of days and wish to now thank you for your input. As stated earlier, an unreserved book from the library comes through as a straight download from Overload on the Playbook. A reserved book download results in the download of an .acsm file which Overdrive can't open. I have changed the Adobe I.D. on the Playbook so it the same as the I.D. on my home PC and hope this helps. I will try again and post the results.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do not download the book onto your PC. That is your error. That is not how the Overdrive app on the Playbook works.

The PlayBook app works much like the iPad app. You get books from within the Overdrive app on your tablet. You go to your library on the Overdrive app, log in, and click on "wait list." The book will be waiting for you there (although in this case I am sure the time has expired).

A Nook, on the other hand, requires that you download the book to your PC and use a USB to move it over. As you have seen, that doesn't work with the PlayBook.

What is confusing is that when you look at Overdrive help, the Blackberry instructions are for the Blackberry phone, not the Playbook. You have to use the Android instructions instead, since this is a converted Android app.

http://help.overdrive.com/article/2012/02/06/0479/Getting-started-with-Android

@}-`-,--
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh wait, I just discovered they added Playbook instructions!

http://help.overdrive.com/article/2012/03/01/0591/How-to-download-audiobooks-and-eBooks-using-a-Blac...

I received a reserved book just a few days ago, and it is all within the app. Don't use your PC.

@}-`-,--
New Contributor

Thanks for all the help and the link to the Overdrive instructions for the Playbook. i have successfully downloaded a couple of reserved books...part of my problem is I was using a different Adobe I.D. on the Playbook than on my home PC.

New Contributor

Hi up until recently I was able to download books to my PlayBook  from the library using Overdrive Media Console. However something has happened and I can not download. The only way I can read the library e book now is to read in my browser. Unfortunately this means I can not read in areas without Internet access. I can not figure out why it worked and then stopped. I enjoy borrowing even books but it is not always possible to read in browser. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the Overdrive app many times. My understanding is that I should not have to transfer books from my pc is that right?