02-21-2012 11:06 AM
I'm trying to set up me tiscali.co.uk email accounts on the new email client on the new 2.0 software. I keep getting error messages telling me the information is incorrect. Any one here had any joy loading tiscali.co.uk successfully on to the playbook?
02-22-2012 03:39 AM - edited 02-22-2012 03:40 AM
I'm having the same problem, for moment I think its me being dim! For the moment I've only tried it with the blackberry connected via wi-fi.
I suspect I'm putting in the wrong smtp server, the one given on the tiscali website is smtp.tiscali.co.uk, but this probably only works if your actually connected via their service.
For instance, on my Symbian phone (on O2), the smtp setting is mail.o2.co.uk
I'll have a word with our IT boffin at work, I'll be sure to post back if a solutionis found :-)
02-25-2012 12:04 PM
I am having the same problems. Connecting to Facebook was no problem, but i can't get email to work. I called tech support who said I needed to input adrresses for POP and smtp servers. I called Tiscali, who were not very helpfull - said they didn't really answer questions about other devices. I have tried pop.tiscali.co.uk, and smtp.tiscali.co.uk - but no luck
02-25-2012 12:17 PM
Not surprised Tiscali were unhelpful. The way I got round it was to set the playbook up to look at a Gmail address I had. Then I went on to the web mail Tiscali site and set it to auto forward to my Gmail account. It works fine. Hope this helps
02-26-2012 05:18 AM
Given that tiscali are now part of talk talk i figured it would be a waste of time speaking to them.
Anyway, it would seem tiscali,s smtp server only works when you are connected via their service. That is to say, ports 25 (and all the other common ones we tried) appear to be locked out for other domains.
But for sending, you can use any smtp server. So in my case mail.o2.co.uk works, there for i,ve set that as the outgoing server for my tiscali account.
At one point i got the playbook into a state where the tiscali account was totally broken. So i deleted the account and creared a new one from scratch - which, bizarrely, worked.
04-23-2012 11:43 AM
I can confirm that it does work. I've just set up both a Tiscali and LineOne account on the PB. I used the following settings
email address: <myemailaddress>@tiscali.co.uk
POP server: pop.tiscali.co.uk
For SMTP, I used a non-tiscali one, but I had to switch encryption off and use port 25
For my LineOne account, the server info is identical, just the username, email address and password are different
Now, I had tried this before without success. I don't know what I did wrong then (not switch off encryption perhaps?) or maybe I did all the same things but this would nor work before the 2.0.1 update. I am not sure. But if it did not work for you before, try again now, it may well be fixed.
Note: these 2 additional accounts' emails did not automatically appear in my consolidated Inbox - I had to go into each account's inbox first and do a refresh messages pulldown and then all was well after that.
12-27-2012 05:00 PM
Hi there, This sounds like a good workaround seeing as Tiscali don't seem to want to play ball. Can you tell me how you managed to auto forward from the Tiscal webmail site - I've been there and looked but couldn't see an obvious way of doing it.. Thanks
09-27-2013 07:24 AM - edited 09-27-2013 09:06 AM
Edited: Sorry, I thought this thread referred to the Q10 and Z10, but I tried the solution below for the Playbook, and can confirm that it does also work for the Playbook. So here it is:
I had been struggling to connect my Q10 to Lineone and was extremely lucky to find the solution posted by LCromwell on another thread "Z10 Email setup problem - lineone.net"
What you have to do is
1. choose POP email, then
2. enter your username and email address and password as usual.
3. server address is pop3.lineone.net
4. turn SSL off, which will change the Port automatically to 110
5. you will see SMTP username and SMTP password have been auto-filled, but delete them both and leave blank
6. fill in the SMTP address which is not necessarily lineone, e.g. I use smtp.orange.net since I subscribe to that network
7. turn SMTP encryption off, which will change the SMTP Port automatically to 25
And then click DONE.
It worked like a dream for me, after days of frustration previously. Hope it works for you all. And thanks again to LCromwell who first came across this solution.