Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
Longcove
My Device: PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Email Problems

Hi: I will try again having posted twice to no avail. Why does no one know anything about email accounts? I have an IMAP account which worked until the latest OS update. My other POP account still works.

I've wiped the PB and reinstalled everything to no effect.

The account sets up OK with no warnings, but just says "No Messages." Before the reinstall I was getting "No network access," which was wrong.

Is it possible to fool the PB by setting up the IMAP as a POP? Is there any workaround?

I'm ready to pitch the PB into the sea.

Thanks.

Donald

Contributor
tonyArmitage
My Device: Playbook Tablet (32Gb)

Re: Email Problems

The only IMAP problems I have seen with the latest OS were due to Router connection problems.. might be worthwhile checking?

Regular Contributor
Longcove

Hi: Thanks. What do you mean, "Router problem?" As I said, I'm connected, the POP account works. I now find that the IMAP account will send emails - just not receive them.

I think RIM screwed up and we just have to wait for teh next update.

Thanks.

Donald

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

Longcove, on user forums you are reliant on people with the same problem and who have fixed it, or people willing to guess. Looks like there's a shortage of both.  Not many "me too" either so maybe there's a provider problem.

Maybe if you tell us who the imap provider is it may attract help with settings. Like is it Yahoo?

________
Regular Contributor
Longcove

Hi: Thanks for response. The IMAP provider, I'm not sure what is a provider is in this case, is my university email account. My access is via a bog standard Bell/Aliant fibre optic account. I'm not experiencing any problems with any email account on my desktops or notebooks. Talked to my U and they have had no problems reported probably because few use PBs. This all worked perfectly on the PB till the last OS update. I've wiped the PB and reinstalled everything just in case. Nout different.

Funny there are no mentions of this problem here for there are mentions on Crackberry.

Maybe I should just walk across street to the RIM office and beat on the door!

Thanks.

Donald

New Contributor
johnpeach
My Device: Playbook

I run my own IMAP server and it has stopped working completely since the upgrade. From the logs I can tell that it is connecting but making no attempt to authenticate. This is regardless of whether I set it to SSL or startTLS. It worked flawlessly under 2.0. Much the same goes for my CALDAV calendar. The BB now claims that "something is wrong with the setup", although it worked perfectly before the upgrade.

Regular Contributor
Longcove

Yea!! Thanks for this. I checked with my university and they made no changes. I upgraded the PB and made no other changes. My IMAP account wont collect emails. I can use the account to send emails.

I suppose we twiddle our thumbs till RIM fixes it. Clearly it is not affecting many users or there would be a larger outcry.

This all defeats the point of having a PB. Did you mean that RIM says it is your fault or something wrong with their setup? Guess we know the answer. :Innocent:

Thanks.

Donald

Regular Contributor
Longcove

As a matter of interest I 'solved' my IMAP problem. Haven't touched the PB for a week for it is useless with no email. Tried again today. My university IMAP account uses StartTTLS. Today I set the account to use SSL and the account started to work. On my laptops and desktop using SSL doesn't work. This only started after the latest OS upgrade.