Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Error message "firewall is preventing my video chat connection"

[ Edited ]

in this case the firewall... would be the router, so you need to (open) and forward those ports in the specific ip that the playbook is getting in the wifi... very inconvenient if that's the case, because if its a dynamic ip the lease may expire and the tablet may get another ip and therefore prevent the video chat to stop working since the ports wont be open for the new ip....  BUT for what i have been reading in the forums and documentation, rim says that the video chat should work under any individual or corporate firewall... they claim restarting the playbook fixes the issue! hope i was able to help!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: various
My Carrier: AT&T

I have a network where i opened it up completely and it didnt work still. I have restarted, wiped, reloaded OS etc. I am thinking that there is a bit more to this and it may be a NOC issue as some users are experiencing it sometimes, and not others while on the same network.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the Star on the left of their post.
Developer
My Device: 850>6230>7230>8700>9000>9700>9900>Z10>Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

We have Sonicwall wifi access points in the office and any Playbook connected via wifi to these firewalls/access points could not start a video chat session either internally or externally.  These same Playbooks connected to the Cisco/Linksys E3000 had no trouble at all starting or receiving a video chat session, however they could not start a video chat to the Playbook connected to the Sonicwall...but the Playbook on the Sonicwall could start a video chat with the Playbook on the Linksys.  I have confirmed this with 3 different models of Sonicwall wifi firewall/routers, inside the office and models at different locations.

jvg
New Contributor
My Device: Bold - 9700
My Carrier: Proximus

I have the same problem with our Sonicwall firewall. Port forwarding is not possible because of the dynamic IP on the PB. Also tried to open all ports, but still no luck
Developer
My Device: Z10 & Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: T

I tried those firewall settings and they did not work for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer of Stocks for Blackberry 10
Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Telus

I've tried it over our company wifi, and also over wifi hotspots created by an iphone and Desire HD. This is on the Telus Network. I get either an "unable to connect" error or the firewall message.

Shouldn't this be easier to do?
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 & Playbook

absolutely this needs to be easier to do! rim, are you listening???

a user should not be expected to have sysadmin skills!!

and there are many situations where you cannot do it - eg if you are travelling, how do you get the hotel to open ports??? this is disappointing my kids big time we cannot video chat!!!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Uughpark wrote:

Called RIM support and needs to enable port forwarding for:

443 - TCP

3478 - TCP + UDP

45535 -  65535 UDP

hope this helps

Feel free to give me a Kudo if this helps you!

:Clap:

You have to allow those ports going outbound. Many routers only allow 80 and 443 outbound and restrict the rest of the ports.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Sasktel

I don't currently use the video chat function, but this seems like this is a bit of an oversight on RIM's part.  It strikes me that if you wanted to use an Internet cafe, McDonalds, airport, hotel or other wireless hotspot, you most likely can't as they won't have the additional ports opened AND have port forwarding setup for you.  Doesn't that reduce the potential capabilities of the PB for mobile employees?  The only places you could be assured it would work were in areas where you controlled the firewalls.  That's not likely the case for the mobile workforce.

New Contributor
My Device: storm 2, playbook
My Carrier: Telus

I actually have 3 playbooks on my network at home, and can video chat between each device.  I have also chatted between the work site, and the home site... that worked... Now all of the sudden I get this firewall issue.

Port forwarding would be an issue for all three playbooks on the same network... not to mention the IP addresses are assigned dynamically.  Are there any other suggestions for a fix on this? Another reboot perhaps?