Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Ripley2010
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: att

Fatal error during OS 2 upgrade

Error Message:  A fatal error has occurred while updating your BlackBerry® Tablet OS. Please try again.

According to my tablet "About" information, I currently have version 2.0.0.7971 installed but when conncected to Blackberry Desktop Software I am alerted with a message that an upgrade is available.  I choose to "update" and it downloads completely and begins install but after several seconds (maybe about 15) it stops with this fatal error.    It is attempting to install version 2.0 Bundle 7971. 

I realize you're probably wanting to tell me that I do not need the upgrade and to ignore that message, however... When I initially upgraded to 2.0 back in February it went smooth as silk but shortly thereafter, problems insued.  I contacted tech support over the phone and basically it boiled down to me having to wipe the tablet and reinstalling everything.

BUT once the tablet was wiped the new 2.0 OS seemed to be what was remaining without having to upgrade to it.  So in other words, it was as though when I wiped it, not everything got wiped.  It did not go back to factory settings (which would include a lessor OS version), it simply wiped the applications I had installed from App World and my transferred files of course. 

Is it possible that this anomaly of not being restored back to factory settings the reason this upgrade prompt is coming up and then also why the "upgrade" ends in a fatal error?  It's as though my current tablet OS is literally a phantom OS and that it really doesn't entirely exist as stated.

The reason I suggest something this bizarre is because it would certainly explain several other oddities in my efforts to use the tablet and especially when reading any files that I transfer from PC to tablet.  Most of them are said to be unknown formats and I know good and well that's not the case. 

Any ideas??   Before suggesting I wipe and reinstall again, please include advice as to what to do should the next wipe result in the same problem (not restoring to factory settings). 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rgohringer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: NA

Re: Fatal error during OS 2 upgrade

I have the same issue. I had a working Playbook OS2 with some minor problems wirth an app which wouldn't proprly delete (Hockeycentral). Decided to perform a Settings backup and complete a Security Wipe.

After reboot and adding WiFi, systrem downloaded a 348MB update and booted into 2.0.0.7971. Looks good until connecting to Desktop Manager. I'm advised there is an upadte to 2.0.0.7971 available. Update fails in the same way as OP details on install (believe near PIM install). Can't complete a Restore of my Settings since the system indicatess incompatible sw release.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Ripley2010
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: att

The luck I've had with the desktop software would be better if I flipped a coin before connecting the device to my laptop.  Sometimes everything I do in Desktop Software for PC is flawless but more often than not it's choppy, it flickers, hangs, "Not Responding", and it's ever damaged several apps that couldn't be recovered until I wiped the Playbook and started over from scratch.  I'm growing weary of this one tiny piece of software.  Using Windows Explorer works much better.  I don't get it.  :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Zildjian71
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800 x 2, PlayBook 16g & 64g, Bridged with RROYY.com
My Carrier: ATT

Just a thought...make sure your PB is fully charged as your PC usb port will not support the PB during the forced reboot.

rgohringer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: NA

An update. I found the way to properly wipe and set up PB for the upgrade is to power off the tablet and then connect the pc. Desktop Manager will sense the tablet but pop up a notice indicating it can't connect. Options of Retry, Upgrade and Cancel are offered. Select Upgrade. Desktop Manager will perform a factory reseton the PB. Once completed and tablet goes through set up, it will also find the update to 2.0.0.7971.

Once complete, DM will see the PB with correct software.Restore can now complete.

Please use plain text.