Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
Accepted Solution

Fed up: Playbook Unable to Acquire IP address

Was unimpressed that it took days to get the Playbook to work in the first place and have had to dumb down the router to prevent the Playbook from repeatedly crashing the router and rendering every other device in the house inoperable. 

Now, it seems the Playbook repeatedly can't figure out what IP address it had before it went to sleep and can't acquire a new one so it disables its configuration...

wtf?

I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt and a little patience, but with all the smartphones, computers, and tablets out there, the fact that the Playbook can't figure out the basics of a rudimentary wifi connection is absolutely disgraceful.

It's useless to say that the Playbook is more finicky because it has better security than the iProducts if it sacrifices the single most basic functionality it is supposed to have. It's obviously very secure if it can't figure out how to transmit anything at all, isn't it..!?!

I gave up on my Blackberry phone in favour of an iPhone years ago because it simply couldn't compete in terms of usefulness. I've found the Playbook to have a few nice features despite the fact that its utility is obviously severely limited by the lack of several native features that are standard on iPhones and iPads.. and the tumbleweeds whistling through the app store because nobody is interested in providing apps for a market lemon.

I'm thoroughly fed up. The Playbook is an embarrassment. Or at least it should be to RIM.

unable to reconnect to its main network..? what a (bad) joke! 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Re: Fed up: Playbook Unable to Acquire IP address

Have you try to manually set the IP address.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Read the following Knowledge Base article. KB26096. There are some things that may help with your problem.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

Hi aandras,

No, I'm reluctant to opt for a bandaid patch just yet and, frankly, at the time I am picking up the Playbook it is usually to use either email or the browsrer and if it doesn't work then I use the iPhone to do it instead. If it's convenient to restart the router I will but often it is not. 

Obviously the Playbook has some kind of time-out problem when it comes to the IP address. I can only guess that the router still has an IP associated with the Playbook but the Playbook doesn't remember what it was and cant tell the router to ditch it's old IP and give it a new one instead. When I come back to it after leaving it overnight it connects and acquires an IP address without me having had to restart either the router or the Playbook. 

The fact that I have to re-enable the configuration is a pain and I can only assume that RIM never bothers to use consumers who already use competitor.products in their product development or testing. (Sorry - getting annoyed again...)

I sincerely appreciate the effort that you and several of the other forum regulars make to support users who, like myself, might be pretty annoyed at needing tech support for a product that is supposed to have convenience of use at the heart of its value proposition.

I'd prefer to see BlackBerry debug and fix the PlayBook obvious wifi connection problems. 

Do you think RIM will address the wifi connectivity problem anytime soon?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

Hi Lost,

Do you have a link for the knowledge base area? Sorry - just not spotting where to look yet. Thx. Will Google it..

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras

You need to try solutions. These are what rim will use when calling support. There was aproblem I had and the support personell quote solutions. From here. The other thing if you want to do is give more info about your wifi setup like security. Mode it is operation in like "g" or "n". I or anyone else can say something but more info is helpful.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

gumnutninja wrote:

Hi Lost,

Do you have a link for the knowledge base area? Sorry - just not spotting where to look yet. Thx. Will Google it..

Try googling kb26096

Wifi connectivity is problemmatic caused mainly by the world committees on standards taking years to agree and manufacturers jumping the gun and producing hardware ahead of time. That means 300mbps 802.11n is going to cause most problems, as are the latest encryption protocols. The best thing to do is reset the router to factory, delete all saved  connections in PB, set the router on WPA or WPA2 but not both, and 802.11 g .Only if that works try faster and more secure settings.

My PB which is the same as everyone elses has never failed to connect to all the routers I have tried on the last OS1 and both OS 2 versions so will people please stop asking RIM for a fix and look to your router settings.

The only time my wifi connection failed was when my router died that is it.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
pushpendrak
My Device: Playbook OS2, Dev Alpha C

before switching on wifi of plabook, switch on router and let it be stable, then turn on wifi of playbook...

i think this will work, once i got stuck like u. i did the same and it worked fine for me

My page on: App World
Check out my Apps 1). QFileExplorer 2). My ABCD
System Explorer APPID: 35601892
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

pushpendrak wrote:

before switching on wifi of plabook, switch on router and let it be stable, then turn on wifi of playbook...

i think this will work, once i got stuck like u. i did the same and it worked fine for me

Always good advice with any wifi network. Boot primary router first,  switches next, clients last.