Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

d_wood
My Device: PlayBook 16Gb
Accepted Solution

First time charging PlayBook

I just got a playbook through RIM's partner program. Very excited. But, it came with only 6% batter power and said to charge it in right away before I could go through setup. Is this normal?

Also, after going through setup, it was at 6% battery power and said I had to plug it in and wait for it to get to 20% before the software could continue.

That was an HOUR ago,and it's only just now gone up to 7%. At this rate it wll take all day to get to 20% and a week to fully charge. What's going on here? Is the device faulty?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: First time charging PlayBook

what charger are you using?

The battery circut might not be calibrated yet and can take a few charge cycles to settle in.

good info here too

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Lithium-battery-myths-dispelled/td-p/1043...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,950
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Yes, this is normal. It will not proceed on the setup until it reaches 20% charge, as it stated.

d_wood wrote:e.

That was an HOUR ago,and it's only just now gone up to 7%. At this rate it wll take all day to get to 20% and a week to fully charge. What's going on here? Is the device faulty?

Are you using the supplied charger, which came with the Playbook? If not, use it. This charger has a higher charge ability than any existing handheld BlackBerry charger you have.

Also, once it gets to a certain point, the charge will complete faster.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Tony86
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK

Yes, just makes sure you're not using a USB cable... that won't work at all. Use the wall Charger instead that came in the box
Please use plain text.
d_wood
My Device: PlayBook 16Gb

I'm using the wall charger that came with it. It's up to 11% now and climbing, so it might be alright. It's a pretty big disappointment to get a new device and not be able to use it right away.

It reminds me of getting my first Nintendo Entertainment System for Christmas as a kid and then having to pack it up and sit in the car for 3 hours driving to my grandparent's place. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nihil242
My Device: 9330 3G

When I got my first NES I was pretty much locked in the basement for 3-4 days playing with it, according to my parents. I was maybe 7 or 8 at the time. I'm also pretty annoyed when I buy some new thing and it doesn't work right out of the box but I am patient as well.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Playing_with_it
My Device: PlayBook 64 gig, Z30, Z10

Mine wasnt charged either, but like anything with a rechargeable battery it will need a charge first.

Please use plain text.