Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
rjnolfe
My Device: Playbook

Re: Flash videos won't work with 2.1

Same problem. I can't view Fox news videos with message media cannot be decoded.
Contributor
foxycleo

Ditto.  Suddenly no videos on Fox, sometimes not on TMZ.  Used to work fine.  What happened?  How do I fix the problem?

Contributor
DLui64
My Device: Z30 STA100-5; previously Z10 STL100-3

I tried to view those very same videos on Fox that you guys are experiencing errors with when trying to view them and apparently, I'm also getting an error message that says "There was an error decoding this media. The media format may not be supported." I've never seen that error message before when trying to view flash videos on my PlayBook. However, when trying to view flash videos on sportsnet.ca and tsn.ca, they play perfectly fine without any error messages showing up on screen. So, I don't think it's any issue with the version of the flash player that's on the PlayBook. Fox might have instead managed to blacklist the BlackBerry PlayBook from the list of devices that can view videos on it's website. At least that's my guess.

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

DLui64 wrote:

I tried to view those very same videos on Fox that you guys are experiencing errors with when trying to view them and apparently, I'm also getting an error message that says "There was an error decoding this media. The media format may not be supported." I've never seen that error message before when trying to view flash videos on my PlayBook. However, when trying to view flash videos on sportsnet.ca and tsn.ca, they play perfectly fine without any error messages showing up on screen. So, I don't think it's any issue with the version of the flash player that's on the PlayBook. Fox might have instead managed to blacklist the BlackBerry PlayBook from the list of devices that can view videos on it's website. At least that's my guess.

In my trials to verify I noticed CNN.com/videos will play, but eventually error out too. Playback is not reliable. Anyone confirm?

s2e
New Contributor
s2e

I also noticed the Canadian Tire flyer (Flash version) does not work in the browser with the new OS 2.1.0.1032.

http://flyer.canadiantire.ca/CanadianTire/default.aspx?action=entryflash&

It used to work in OS 2.0 but after "upgrading" my playbook does not render flash correctly from this site any longer. My wife's playbook still on OS2.0 works fine.

Please Fix for us RIM and Adobe - or tell me how to revert back to OS2.0 (without bricking my playbook)

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

I noticed an error in my URL for CNN. It is http://www.cnn.com/video no "s".
New Contributor
rjnolfe

Knock Knock...Hey RIM...Are you listening???  At least acknowledge you are seeing our posts and you're working on this problem....You are going to lose a lot of credibility with your tablet owners if you don't step up and let us know what is going on here.

Contributor
foxycleo

[ Edited ]

Yes, RIM, where are you?  I emailed Fox support and haven't heard from them either.  At least we have each other.

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

[ Edited ]

rjnolfe wrote:

Knock Knock...Hey RIM...Are you listening???  At least acknowledge you are seeing our posts and you're working on this problem....You are going to lose a lot of credibility with your tablet owners if you don't step up and let us know what is going on here.

This is a peer support forum where we users help one another out. I am not sure how much RIM itself or it's employees check this site or interact with it. I am sure they do, but I don't know how the feedback chain works on here...

So, for myself, I decided to be proactive and joined their free Beta Zone program (it's free and open to any BlackBerry user - phone or tablet) and gave this feedback on the Flash playback problems and it has been suggested by several other people as well. It has been acknowledged by management. Don't know the official status though but I believe the devs are working on it.

The BB Beta Zone is not a place for technical support or to vent unconstructive complaints but rather for testing, providing constructive feedback, suggestions and making BlackBerry products (and overall experience) better for users.

I would suggest you and more people look into joining and making a difference.

https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/login/?cont=portals&act=index&item=

The web interface isn't as straightforward as it is here in the Support Forums but once someone pokes around a bit, they'll get the hang of it.

Contributor
foxycleo

But, chaosdivine, for some reason I didn't have any trouble with the CNN video link. My OS is 11.1.121.66, 32 bit.