Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
loftus49
My Device: BB9900, PlayBook

Re: Flash videos won't work with 2.1

chaosdivine wrote:

loftus49 wrote:

New PB update (2.1.0.1088) does NOT fix the video problem.  I don't think RIM has officially acknowledged that it exists and has not commented on a fix.  RIM? 

Did you not read my post above? It states that they are working on it - and that was directly from a RIM manager via the BetaZone. There was no mention that the 1088 update was going to fix this so being disappointed is your own doing. The 1088 update was only to prevent contact/calendar corruption for people who updated in the future.

There will most likely be a future update to address the Flash and other OS issues we're experiencing. When that will happen is anyone's guess...

Geeze chaosdivine,

Sorry - I didn't see your post, my bad.  But thank you for pursuing it. 

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

loftus49 wrote:

chaosdivine wrote:

loftus49 wrote:

New PB update (2.1.0.1088) does NOT fix the video problem.  I don't think RIM has officially acknowledged that it exists and has not commented on a fix.  RIM? 

Did you not read my post above? It states that they are working on it - and that was directly from a RIM manager via the BetaZone. There was no mention that the 1088 update was going to fix this so being disappointed is your own doing. The 1088 update was only to prevent contact/calendar corruption for people who updated in the future.

There will most likely be a future update to address the Flash and other OS issues we're experiencing. When that will happen is anyone's guess...

Geeze chaosdivine,

Sorry - I didn't see your post, my bad.  But thank you for pursuing it. 

No prob. Just want you to know that they are indeed working on it. They know people are not impressed. I am confident we'll get this fixed. I just don't know how long it will take. I would do a backflip if they released it as quick as they did the contacts fix.

Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64

Hi foxy,

Blue to Ghastly White didn't look good on me according to my wife so she allowed me a couple of breaths and then I read that "John is looking into it" so I'm thinking of starting again.  Although the process of looking, evaluating, prioritizing, fixing, testing and releasing may bring on the Ghastly White again. The only real improvement I have found is the Text thing via bridge but since I have no need for it, I'm neutral/negative as to any good anything beyond the 2.1 beta has accomplished.  Others undoubtedly feel differently.

Contributor
foxycleo
My Device: Playbook

Hi TOF,    Ghastly white might work for Halloween, but I wouldn't push it.  Yes,  the text thing is quite improved - didn't know it was there actually.  But, apologies to Chaosdivine - I though RIM could just tweek some thingies and all of our flash players would work.  Sorry.  I will be patient.  As long as when they say they are working on it, they really are - and I think Chaosdivine has the experience with RIM to know that. 

Contributor
foxycleo

Note from John - they are working on it. Breathe.
Contributor
foxycleo

Hello everyone -   a bit of a surprise here and wonder if you've noticed it too.  Happened to click on a fox video, it loaded, no error message.  Hmmmm.   I clicked the play arrow and got a message "Media error.  This media file is of an unsupported type or could not be loaded.  It can not be played."  I click "OK" for the heck of it and lo and behold the Fox news emblem comes up, the video loads and plays perfectly.  CNN works - always did for me - and no error message at all.  Go figure!!  I love computers!  John, did you do this?  Or was it alien invaders, gremlins, ghosts left over from Halloween....  SO, BIG QUESTION - does everyone else get this response to Fox videos.  It may be sorta fixed????

Regular Contributor
TOF

Well, I'll be [Censored], it works now but I guarantee you it did not work for me before.  Glad "somebody" fixed it.

Thanks for the find.

Contributor
foxycleo

[ Edited ]

Hey TOF - good news, huh? Fingers crossed that the fix continues. I don't even know why I tried it again - because I've been getting the message about media as soon as I loaded Fox. Today I thought maybe I didn't see it so ... is this how the wheel was invented? It's been great working with you!  (maybe Fox fixed it??)

Regular Contributor
TOF

Well, I finally took a breath!  Good find and thanks!  Now, on to sorting bookmarks/favorites... :-)

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

TOF wrote:

Well, I finally took a breath!  Good find and thanks!  Now, on to sorting bookmarks/favorites... :-)

Good luck with that one until BB OS 10. It's been an going saga since the PB iception in April 2011. I do think it will be fixed when OS 10 drops though.

A work around: Instead of using Bookmarks, create web links 'Add to Home Screen'. Then create folders by holding down the icon until it wiggles and drag it over another web link. Now you have a folder which you can sort, re-order etc.

You can even drag the folder to the dock.

There are other hacks but they rely on other technologies and web services (export desktop links as HTML and host your HTML webpage somewhere or use Google or another web service, Dropbox, etc...) Too much work for now.

In another thread I noticed this:

There is another way to do it, kind of. Using your PC's browsers, organize your bookmarks as you want them organized. Then export your bookmarks as an HTML file (you can do this in Internet Explorer and Opera- not sure about Firefox). Then copy the HTML file to the Documents folder on your playbook. Then navigate to this file using the Air Browser, click on the file and then click open. The web browser will then open the file and you can then add this link as a bookmark. Then you can later open this bookmark in Browser, and clink on the links therein, which won't technically be in folders but will be organized as they were in your desktop browser.