Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Forget About BB10 on Playbook

As any of you guys can show an official statement about this, I checked the www.blackberry.com web site and there is nothing about this at all

There are not saying we will get BB10 nor are they saying that we are not, the last that I heard about it is that there was some people testing it, is it in Alpha or Beta, I have no idea, but until there is an official statement made either way it is all rumour at this point

BTW all the news come from crackberry web site, which is very far from being an official site

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

rat-7 wrote:

As any of you guys can show an official statement about this, I checked the www.blackberry.com web site and there is nothing about this at all

There are not saying we will get BB10 nor are they saying that we are not, the last that I heard about it is that there was some people testing it, is it in Alpha or Beta, I have no idea, but until there is an official statement made either way it is all rumour at this point

BTW all the news come from crackberry web site, which is very far from being an official site

Need proof, here it is.

Waterloo Region Record - Sat June 29  (For those who may not know,  BlackBerry is located here.)

" Heins said he is not happy with the software upgrades being made for the tablet, which is why it is scrapping plans to migrate the tablet to the BlackBerry 10 operating system. "

I somehow can not read a positive sign here. 

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: rogers

Frankly, I don't care about BB10 on my PlayBook, but what I do want is the BB10 browser. I don't need the hub and I can live without the App Store... but give me something to use the Web at today's speeds. I bought this thing full price the day it came out assuming it would get better. Now it is worth less than a BlackBerry share on the NYSE. I feel like such a fool... and my Apple friends will remind me daily.
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 16gb
My Carrier: Wind

I own the playbook and have been eagerly waiting for the BB10 to arrive for it. I have been holding off getting a new smart phone for awhile, still using a 3 year old nokia C7. My wife has a blackberry for work and likes it.  I was going to go to get blackberry phone, but no longer will after this about face lie. Blackberry as you can see to all the above messages you have lost many customers and possible new customers from this lie!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

chaosdivine wrote:
For the record, here's the transcript:

Q: (CNBC Announcer) "So if i could follow up, you say the same as Blackberry 10. does that mean you will scrap the Playbook entirely and start over with a new tablet?"
A: (Thorsten) "No. Uh, what we will be doing is, the teams are working on this, we will take it the other way around. We will provide Blackberry 10 software updates for all of the Playbooks that are out there. So the Wi-Fi and 4G version, they will all be upgradable it blackberry 10."

thanks for the transcript chaosdivine,

what can I say, I am happy to not have viewed that video from January 30th 2013, and as RAT-7 said, I will continue sticking to what is written on BlackBerry.com websites including:

But yet again, I wonder how many PlayBooks were bought based on that video.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Xandrex wrote:

chaosdivine wrote:
For the record, here's the transcript:

Q: (CNBC Announcer) "So if i could follow up, you say the same as Blackberry 10. does that mean you will scrap the Playbook entirely and start over with a new tablet?"
A: (Thorsten) "No. Uh, what we will be doing is, the teams are working on this, we will take it the other way around. We will provide Blackberry 10 software updates for all of the Playbooks that are out there. So the Wi-Fi and 4G version, they will all be upgradable it blackberry 10."

thanks for the transcript chaosdivine,

what can I say, I am happy to not have viewed that video from January 30th 2013, and as RAT-7 said, I will continue sticking to what is written on BlackBerry.com websites including:

But yet again, I wonder how many PlayBooks were bought based on that video.

Please read what's on the web, not the outdated bb legacy postings.  It's happened, no use pretending.

How many? Half a million? One was my second playbook.  Stoopid me. 

My Device: Playbook 64 Gb. Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

I am so disappointed in this news...not so much as to the final admission that this update is not forthcoming, but by the reality that this fraudulent action on the part of BlackBerry actually came to pass. 

You see..I've been in SDLC for years, and you know early on if there is a chance for success in any software project. Add to this the reality of device obsolescence and the rapid deployment of "new" technology...if the BB10 update did not come right out of the gate, it wasn't going to. The neutering of the BlackBerry Bridge for the Z10 was another key indicator that you had for realizing the PlayBook was not going to be included. 

So, I've been patiently waiting to be proven wrong. Proving the indicators and then the trends wrong would have sent a clear signal that, regardless of device obsolescence, the new senior management team and C-suite were going to put customer loyalty, brand reputation, and a culture of delivery in place. It would erase the problems and disingenuous rantings of the previous C-suite and position BlackBerry as a brand that could be trusted. You made the promise, it is on the record, so deliver. If, as many knew above, the PlayBook is truly destined for a museum like Beta and the Commodore 64, then you knew earlier and you should have said as much. The venom would be far less by just being up front. 

...now, you look like a bunch of frauds. I don't do business with frauds. :Censored:

If there aren't some immediate firings of senior management responsible for this project, it will show deliberate collusion on the part of the C-suite. If you think the share prices and venomous letters are bad now, wait. The fire sale of BlackBerry is about to begin. 

Contributor
My Device: Playbook & 9810 Torch
My Carrier: Wind Mobile Canada

To me, BB can still keep Playbook users from feeling burned, despite the apparent lie. But turning the system over to relevant Android would mean loss of App sales and developer lawsuits, so it's not gonna happen. My 2 Playbooks are going to niece & nephew, so they can play The Big Escape all they want...  I'm beyond disappointed and can't believe I had hope despite early warning by third party articles indicating that Playbook specs were not going to cut it. I just can't believe BB is OK with customers wasting money...I guess "business is business".

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Edmonchuck2 wrote:

If, as many knew above, the PlayBook is truly destined for a museum like Beta and the Commodore 64, then you knew earlier and you should have said as much. The venom would be far less by just being up front.

hello,

would you say that the Bold 9900 is destined for a museum, just because it will get 7.1 updates but not an OS 7.2 or BB10 ?

People keep buying the 9900 despite the fact that it will not get the BB10 OS.

I don't think so. So why would you say that of a PlayBook ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: TELUS

Hello,

The answer is yes. However, let's be a bit real. I am a living example of why some more sales of the 9900 are happening. As I am typing on my z10, my CORPORATE 9900 is buzzing. A lot of corporations who want their security on the established OS (esp financial) were leary of letting my Z10 on their network. Plus, until very recently, the bold was the top of the line with a qwerty keyboard that was tactile. Don't forget that.

So, until there is a further acceptance corporately, plus the obvious sales to the cheaper segment, you will see sales of the older platform.

That however is a deflection from the real issue. PlayBook is a museum piece given their attitude towards the tablet platform in general. Combine this with the bait and switch with the refusal to admit BB10 was a pipe dream makes this whole thing disingenuous. That, dear poster, is the issue...and the museum entry fee.