Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Kayzaar
My Device: Black Berry z10

Full and complete BB10 On Playbook - Fair, Just and Deserved.

Is Blackberry going to release the BB10 operating system for the Playbook?

Contributor
JohnyBGood
My Device: Playbook & 9810 Torch

Re: Full and complete BB10 On Playbook - Fair, Just and Deserved.

Yes.  And most likely Skype will be available for it, as well!

Contributor
JohnyBGood

And also OoVoo is coming to BB10, some time this year...

Contributor
Kayzaar

Are there any indications as to when this OS update will be released?

I think us users have stood on the sidelines long enough, we want to use our playbook to it's fullest capabilities. 

Contributor
JohnyBGood

I believe BB10 got pushed back a little to let the phone version shine on its own.  It will be out some time in 2013.

I hear your frustration.  I was never even interested in tablets until my IT buddy told me Playbook would be great for video conferencing and that Skype would be released for it shortly after the major update following the price drop.  The only person I've ever video conferenced with it is myself on my second Playbook, though!  Someone dropped the ball big-time w/ no Skype App (sorry for mentioning it...I'm sure I've mentioned it before and other people have, as well, but it's my number one gripe).  If my reward for waiting patiently is Skype & OoVoo on Playbook, that would be FANTASTIC...ESPECIALLY if they can integrate it the way Playbook's current Video Chat is integrated (where you can receive calls even if you don't have the Video Chat App open).  Playbook's current OS is very smooth and BB10 benefits from additional ram...so hopefully they tweak it nicely before releasing it.

Trusted Contributor
bs342
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10

[ Edited ]

Getting tired of waiting for an official  announcement on release. For me and my PlayBook I will be patient but I've been telling my parents they will soon have Skype on the PlayBook they got for Christmas but now I am beginning to feel like I am lying to them. When BlackBerry will you finally give us OS10 on the Playbook? 

BlackBerry is for Life not just for Christmas
Contributor
Kayzaar

Another concern I have is, if Blackberry equips the playbook with BB10, will it interact with handheld devices. For example. With Apple you are able to Facetime from an Ipad to a Iphone with no concerns. Why hasn't blackberry incorporated this feature? The tablets should be able to communicate with hand held devices.  I get the impression that blackberry is missing out on developing an effective ecosystem.  It should be seemless interaction between handheld and tablet. Like no matter which device you have in your hand, at any given moment, you do not miss a beat. I own a playbook and the z10 and previous devices and I always wonder, why i was not able to video chat on my playbook with someone  who has a blackberry phone.  By having this feature, it allows and encourages people to purchase a playbook or a phone.  Furthering the blackberry experience and the willingness to experience it. Has anyone wonder the same? Sound off 

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

Rat-7 has already repirted that BBM video on Z10 will video chat with current Playbook. Try it.

Re the "when", it is obvious that the project is out of control otherwise an approx release date could be published.

Thanks...will definitely give it a try...yeah i think your right, they are tackling so many things at once..i guess once they launch world wide they will get their **bleep** togther and focus on OS maintence and development.  In the mean time we are suffering. 

Trusted Contributor
bs342
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10

TexTucker wrote:

Rat-7 has already repirted that BBM video on Z10 will video chat with current Playbook. Try it.

Re the "when", it is obvious that the project is out of control otherwise an approx release date could be published.

"Out of Control" sounds like a long time.  Good that BlackBerry is one of the finer things in life and worth waiting for.  Regards PlayBook Video Chat to BBM on Z10, I have tried this and it worked fine for me in video or voice only chat providing you are on a wireless network. Excellent!  

BlackBerry is for Life not just for Christmas