Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Full and complete BB10 On Playbook - Fair, Just and Deserved.

[ Edited ]

Gunpackingsaint wrote:
I too have decided not to invest in a Z10 due to principles. If BB doesn't follow through with their BB10 commitment to the Playbook, then I'm done as a BB fan. If they don't plan to release BB10 for it, they should at least unlock it somehow so that we can run another OS on it.

See my message above.  BlackBerry has a reputation (historically) of creating products that are slow or products that become slow over time.  The BB10 OS has turned that aroun 100%.  It's snappy and very fluid.

If BlackBerry were to just port BB10 to the PlayBook all willy nilly, they would likely release a sub-par slow OS that wasn't responsive.  Why would they want to tarnish that reputation that they are starting to build with BB10?

All indications are that PlayBook is getting a BB10 update, this year.  You can't expect BlackBerry to take the spotlight off of the BB10 phones at this point though.  That being said there has been word from many in BlackBerry that verify that BB10 is on the way for PlayBook, they just not have defined a release window yet.  Considering that BlackBerry said they are releasing 6 devices this year (we only know of 3 so far) I would say they have their hands full.

The Z10 is great you are missing out.

Regular Contributor

Gunpackingsaint wrote:
I too have decided not to invest in a Z10 due to principles. If BB doesn't follow through with their BB10 commitment to the Playbook, then I'm done as a BB fan. If they don't plan to release BB10 for it, they should at least unlock it somehow so that we can run another OS on it.

Where is everyone getting this idea that BB 10 is NOT coming to PlayBook?  It's slated to come by the end of the year.

Please see my other replies above about releasing a willy nilly port to the PlayBook. 

Regular Contributor

nicolfa wrote:

I have been a Playbook owner for awhile now, and how they have handled device is exactly why I did not purchase the Z10.  In a media centric world lack of support for things like Hulu, Netflix, Skype and many other sources is just short sighted.  The fact that over the entire time I have owned this device there has been no offical attempt to make it in any way competitive with any of the on market tablets says a lot about BB's intentions in regards to keeping product support alive.

My playbook has been relegated to a glorified web reader, while the Nexus and Galaxy Tab have utterly replaced it in EVERY way.  What really saddens me is the OS is so clean and viable for its developers to abandon it as they have.

Personally I feel very upset with BB over the whole deal with this device, make an effort to show all of us who remained loyal enough to have your product that its not all in vain.  Update the playbook to the newest OS so that we can all bask in the promised new vision of BB.

Until I see something come to lite I personally won't advise others to buy any BB product over more viable ones on the market right now.  Your care of your customers is whats hurting you most now, leaving us out to grab for new people isn't smart.

Things were much different when the PlayBook was first released.  For one MS did not own Skype.  I think had Skype come to the PlayBook -- which was promised by SKYPE (before MS purchase), you may see some of these other applications on BlackBerry.

While I appreciate the fact that people want Netflix and Hulu Plus, let's not blame BlackBerry for the descisions of other companies.  If you really want to see these apps on BB you would have gotten the Z10 already. :smileyhappy:  One thing developers certainly can't ignore is a user base!  :smileyhappy:

The funny thing is lots of people with Apple and Androids have the Netflix app, but still the vast majority of people accessing Netflix are doing it from a home PC or Console.  The reason is?  A 12" tablet with tinny speakers doesn't compare to the living room experience with 50+ inch displays and 5.1 digital surround sound.

To be honest with you, every tablet to me is a glorified Broswer.  :smileyhappy: 

Sure the games look better on a bigger screen, but you still talking about games that have a large input lag which means any action games usually impliment extra stupid AI and basically turns it into a shooting gallery.

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus

Ok..to imply that BB..or back then RIM, would have, during BB10 developement, had totaly forgotten about the PlayBook integration, would imply, that they are Microsoft employees.  I just can't see an "oh...what about the PlayBook..we make that too...so anyone? Beuller? Any IDeas on how to get it to work?" Nope..that excuse just won't hold water. If they cut loose us loyal PB customers, and throw under the "buy a NEW and very EXPENSIVE BB10 PlayBook, 'cause gee we tried, but we just can't get the "old" os2 to play nice....and while yer at it, buy a Z10!" bus. Maybe Apple tactics are rubbing off on them? I dunno. I will be thrilled if theyt do the right thing, but  Ihave a sinking feeling they are going to want money. Too bad, because smart companies know that the best wat to keep loyal customers (Apple excluded of course) is to keep your promises, and keep us happy. 

Regular Contributor

NEWS FLASH TO EVERYONE ...

BB10 is coming to the PlayBook. It's in Alpha or Beta. But considering BlackBerry is dealing with the launches of 3 brand new phones (with 3 more coming this year) and PHONES have been their main business you will likely not get news on this until at least after the Q10 is released in the USA.

BE CALM & BUY BLACKBERRY! :smileyhappy:
Regular Contributor

dswells7 wrote:
don;t upgrade to z10 if you like your playbook, I upgraded from my 9900 to z10 and now my playbook is almost useless no bridge and the remote is now clumsy were as people loved my 9900 to playbook for power point demo's it doesn;t work now. Sad sad

I just love how you say this like BlackBerry has no intentions of implimenting all the BB Bridge features into the Z10.

:smileyhappy:

Like BlackBerry is just going to do 1.0 version software and NEVER update it.  That has NEVER happened in the history of BlackBerry!

Now - I upgraded to the Z10 and found that with the Z10 BB Bridge is a bit redundant.  While the screen is smaller than the PB, it is quite attractive and detailed.  Very easy to read.  I did use the BB Bridge and I had no problem using the Z10 as a remote.

I just find it hard to believe that so many people are 1 feature fans of BlackBerry.  Not one of you has pointed out that the build quality on their devices is generally 2nd to none.  Personally to this day I still own every one of my BlackBerry phones with the execption of one (that I sold to a friend).  Not one of them are broken (and I have a BB Curve trackball).  Now compare that to your average Android or near 100% glass iPhone.

You guys are completely in your rights to be upset about some missing features, but it seems like you are all using this message base as Group Therapy and not exactly submitting valid feature requests.  Not to mention the never ending conga line of lies suggesting that BlackBerry isn't interested in bring BB10 to PlayBook or making BB Bridge more powerful.

Rome wasn't built in a day, coming from the Torch 9810 to the Z10 (and I was a day 1 PlayBook Owner), I am very happy with the amount of progress that BlackBerry has made.  They managed to create an App Marketplace from near scratch in about a year and get over 100,000 apps in there.

Give a LITTLE FREAKING CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE GUYS!  You are all coming off like spoiled brats where I am sitting.

Regular Contributor

jerryg50 wrote:

As for the Bridge software with the Playbook, my preference is to use the built in email client. I use the Playbook as an independent tablet from the phone when it involves applications. I can wait for Blackberry to come out with their new Bridge software. I was told that in about a month's time there are supposed to be more updates coming out.

I have been using the Z10 since it came out. I have been using Blackberry phones for many years. They are very secure and I've had very few reliability issues with their products.

Well thanks for sharing that tid bit about the BB Bridge update.  Some people here were acting like it was a myth.  Suggesting BB was happy with the 1.0 version of the software and were not going to update it. 

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus

So, they feel the priority is phones, not tablets. We got that. The new phones are out. I can buy one now. I won't..until my PB gets updated to 10..period. And lets see if my legacy Curve 9380 can still talk to it :manwink: The market is flooded, BB is releasing messenger to Android et al...so what is stopping me from looking elswhere in August when my contract runs out, and I'm looking to upgrade? ...ya, I can see the standard issue delays and excuses.

Regular Contributor

paulschulte wrote:

@Gunpackingsaint: you're robbing yourself of a fantastic BB experience if you spite the Z10 just because of BB is foot dragging on the PlayBook.  My Z10 and PB make a fantastic combination, especially when I bridge through the Z10 for an internet connection on the PB.  Like others I am anxiously awaiting BB10 for the PlayBook, but having updated my Z10 from 10.0 to 10.1 and reading about what is coming for 10.2, I can fully appreciate why BB is not putting a lot of energy into PB.  There were a lot of great little improvements from 10.0 to 10.1, and the feature set for 10.2 will be an even greater leap forward.  I think (hope) at that point, however, the development effort will have progressed enough to put some energy into PB.  Regardless, you should, for sure, reward yourself with the Z10 experience, you won't be disappointed.

Like I said they are heavy on the Phone messenging right now.  The PlayBook was a bit of a black eye for BB, they don't really want to give it much media right now.  I am sure behind the scenes they are trying to make BB10 work great for it so they can ressusitate the product line.

Regular Contributor

rightcoast wrote:

P.S. Have no fears that I will cross over the the dark side...."Apple inc." ...I just do not feel all that comfortable in skinny jeans, jelled hair, a murse and summer scarf...and I hate Starbucks :manwink:

I almost jumped ship to Android at one time, I am glad I didn't.  People I know go through Android phones like they are disposable.  The build quality varies to much from manufacturer to manufactuer and the OS fragmentation on Android is the worst.

Apple is for 10 year olds and grandmas.  I can't deal with technology on trainin wheels and I am sick of their commericals and their little kid music.  Technology isn't "cute" I am sorry.  Justin Long can SUCK IT!