Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Supperman
My Device: Curve 8350i + Playbook

Re: Future Things We Want Rim To Fix On The Playbook (Organized)

[ Edited ]

I got a couple suggestions with description below : 

1. A user accessible SIM card would be nice for those of us who travel worldwide,  and maybe Blackberry could consider being the first technology maker to offer their own brand MOBILE SERVICE to keep everything in house - not even Apple has stepped forward to realize how many people would purchase plans from them directly over having to go to a third party.

2. I also think it would be a good idea if the battery was capable of being reached for those of us who again...travel, and could be without anywhere to easily plug in a charger. The small percentage of us would prefer to carry an extra fully charged lithium pack with us than the adapter and that means additional sales for RIM but again, this is probably a small amount of consumers, like me. 

3. My next is complicated because I like security and the Playbook but think there should be better options for passwords like an optional voice, facial, retina or fingerprint recognition because that would make life easier for me. A Secret Question could then be added, MAYBE with added leverage when being used on a familiar network if for some reason your tablet failed to authenticate you by error, lack of lighting, noisy environment, etc. I think a message should be sent to your registered mailbox or a text to a telephone whenever the primary attempt was incorrect, to guarantee that the owner is aware of the event in the case that someone else tried to use it BUT THAT SHOULD BE FOR NOTIFICATION, NOT PART OF THE CLEARANCE PROCESS because i often change my accounts and numbers when I visit foreign countries, to avoid junk correspondence, deter hackers, etc. The point is the machine should allow better time consuming features or the ability to reset individual programs that require recovery if you experience a default, like with Wireless File Sharing, and not having to wipe the entire drive to restore it, etc. 

4. A need for speed means bring on 4G.

5. I suggest better lock screen button or control that requires you to press the power button to get to get to the prompt because it currently engages everytime the monitor is touched, even in Standby mode.

6. The addition of a cursor hold key for sites that have drop down menus but are impossible to navigate with a touch display.

7. My hope for a copy and paste that has a select all with the ability to turn off the tiny ribbon from appearing in circumstances when it gets in the way of me trying to write something on a webpage, search box, etc.

8. A mini projector that works doubles the size of the images with reasonable clarity, resolution, color, etc.

9. I prefer an advanced casing capable of extreme heat, considering temperature from outside with long term useage including when using the cable cord that can cause it to get hot and waterproof mechanisms would be interesting in the future, similar to China, if this still allows for a durable fast processor.

10. The booklet cover cases sold as an accessory should providen an alternative for animal advocates like me, in a NON Leather material.

11. My browsing would be so much more entertaining if there was dictation commands that operated things like direction, enter, load, close, open, save, return, space, capitalize, words, letters, numbers, etc.

12. A free dedicated inbox like Supperman @ResearchInMotion, with our purchase would be wonderful, instead of everyone having something different through Sprint, Boost, Virgin, Verizon, Cricket, Metro PCS, etc.

13. I think the forums should show the original listing and the very last post on the first page, then continue in ascending order, as it appears now on the support channel.

14. The size is almost perfect but I still want a smaller version, similar to the Dell Streak, with Direct Connect and a hidden slide out numeric style 123 ABC typewriter for one use with one hand.

15. My comment here is a little off topic but it would be nice to see Factory Stores soon to be able to go and view everything, speak with technical service or ask questions to salespeople specifically trained on our devices. 

16. A final request = I want a Bpad hip clip. ( Joking )

New Contributor
encarma
My Device: Playbook 64GB Wifi

Firstly i want to start by saying my Playbook is fantastic! I have owned several tablets including; Archos 101,  Apple Ipad 2, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Motorola Xoom and the Acer Iconia A500. My latest Tab was the Galaxy 10.1 and i was fairly happy with it, two weeks ago i was just browsing gumtree and discovered a 64gb Playbook going for $200 including extra case from a business who stated they never opened it, true to their word it was still on the original OS1-point-something. Unfortunetly for me i didnt know i couldnt upgrade to the latest OS2-point-something and root it! i was so angry when i found out it couldnt sideload android or install market!. ... after buying the Playbook i sold my galaxy tab 3 days later, absolutley pissed with the knowledge i bought the Galaxy for $700, spend $50 on a case, $50 on a HDMI adapter $50 on a charger and $30 on screen protectors!!! ..Playbook only needed a HDMI cable which i could get offline for $3 delievered and came with case.

Anyway, long story short, with all the deviced i have tried i have no arguments in admitting that this is the best one i have had, and although i have some pretty serious niggling problems with it which i will not point below i consider it leagues ahead of ALL other devices, i simply do not understand how it has not had more praise. Now without further adue, these are what i think would supremely help the device achieve more customers without them having to put too much effort into it:

• Accessibility - USB MTP rather than accessing the playbook via a network drive location. Reason: I cant actually connect my device to my work computer, im told by Blackberry that this reason is due to access restrictions to network locations in my office. This doesnt bother me too much because i can just access most information at home still, however a couple of my friends from work think its pathetic and so i see this as a bad advertisement.
  • App Look and Feel - Appworld looks quite dated. an uplifting interface would do wonders for an otherwise very fulfilling experience. Having tried aquite a few alternatives such as Google Market, Google Play, Apps Lib, Apple App Store etc etc (i have tried a few) I understand looks are not everything, however some simple cosmetics would improve customer feedback and possibly customer buying traits which would entice more devs. (steps include: on each app have a similar preview of other apps like google play store 'Similar Downloads' would be useful, and the option to expand the screen shots to full screen so you can utilise the playbooks realestate, and the search screens app listing just looks bad - very easy to fix
  • Device Look and Feel - All in all, like i said, the OS is the best i have seen so far, the faults im listing here just dont out-weigh the positives this device offers. However a few niggling points; In my android momments i have downloaded more than 32 different ROM's for my different devices (that i have kept, i probably have done more). And by far the best features of these that i would like to see added as an options for the Playbook would be: an option to keep the menu fixed so you can always see the time and battery level, the battery level to have an option to show digit percentage instead of the battery image. and lastly, most importantly i believe because this is where i think Galaxy outshone the other tablets, the ability to add custom launchers to change the entire apppearance of the mainscreen, if playbook included just one or two alternatives to their current launcher we might find that more people will be interested in the device as an alternative to android devices - customisation i believe is forfront in most peoples minds (unfortunetly).

I honestly do not think the last three points would be difficult, I am not sure about the first point (it may be a security thing) however i know the device used to have the option after rooting, so its certainly possible. Note as well, It would be nice if they gave you the option under the development mode ON button to unlock the bootloader, for those of us who would like root access, i understand that Google Play Store is a security risk and possibly a financial risk due to the free apps they will be able to get, but i think that would also invite geeks and techies to the device to install custom ROMs or different OSs.. which might help its image... for no better purpose as; like i said above; its OS far better than the competiion already. and yes i realise it goes against Blackberrys moto of a secure enviroment, but sales went up when they included app side loading and went down when they removed it so i guess they got to decide whats more important to them, sales or a secure device.

So that is all I have to say... Please choose LIKE or reply with comments if you agree/disagree with me, I hope to make the message appear as much as possible, perhaps they can send out a hotfix between now and BBOS10 or whatever update they have next planned. I pressume most of these things will be is BBOS10 anyway. But since its 6 months away or more until release, perhaps they could improve their current device in the meantime, it might kick start sales?

Regards

Rob

New Contributor
deva99
My Device: bold 9700 / playbook 64GB

Download manager for the playbook browser and ability to access app world through bridge !!! Then skype through bridge ( some of us pay for unlimited BIS)
New Contributor
deva99
My Device: bold 9700 / playbook 64GB

Contributor
laserblue
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

On-Screem Keyboard
Larger keys so intended letter choice matches selected letter. Make it harder for adjacent keys to be selected by mistake.

OS/Browser
Java runtime environment

Support for Adobe E-books
Faster startup (Waiting....waitimg....waitimg...waiting....)
Contributor
ff123456b
My Device: Playbook

I would like to have:

• Keyboard:
    • Delete to the right
    • Move cursor left and right without deleting
    • Right click so some Web page functions work without needing a physical keyboard or mouse.
  • Browser bookmarks sorted into categories, sub-categories.
  • Create sub-folders on the screens, I created folders to categorize apps, but would like to sub-divide them further.
  • App World:
    • Further sub-divided, for example sort books out from games and apps.
    • Not limit the new app/game list, some times the new app list is just a bunch of books, and there is no way to see what else is newly available, maybe show everything for the last day, two days, etc.
    • Able to flag apps so you can check them the first time and then decide if it is something you will never want, may want, like:
      • I don't ever want to check into this app/book (so I only have to scan the offensive books/apps out once).
      • I might be interested in this app at some future time.
      • I want this app, but I don't have time to download it right now ( for when I am running for the bus-I don't have a phone data plan.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

ff123456b wrote:

I would like to have:

• Keyboard:

You can already do that. Can you elaborate on your request ?

ff123456b wrote:

I would like to have:

• Keyboard:
    • Right click so some Web page functions work without needing a physical keyboard or mouse.

you can long for that, but my opinion is that webmasters will one day realize that they have more trafic from touchscreens than from screens with a mouse or laptop.

That day, they will abandon the right-clic stuff. At last.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

This topic still going?

Regarding the Browser bookmarks request - the BB10 browser uses tags - so you can use as many or as little categories as you like :smileyhappy:

I find tags much more versatile than folder categories.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Xandrex wrote:

ff123456b wrote:

I would like to have:

• Keyboard:

You can already do that. Can you elaborate on your request ?

You say the playbook has a left and right cursor function? 

Can you elaborate. Mine has backspace/delete only.  I have to magnify the screen and tap with my podgy finger. 

My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

if you tap and hold, you should see a little blue handle, that you can move right and left.

here is a link to a video displaying how to do a copy/paste on a fixed text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGHMDLOx_8

It is not what you want to do, but if you put your finger on a text field with your text in it, you will have one of those blue vertical handles, and then you can move the handle left and right.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: