If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
woofhavenchuck
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Future Things We Want Rim To Fix On The Playbook (Organized)

I agree with @jarvisor.  It seems to me that the little blue handle thingy is often cumbersome and annoying.  If the font size is small, I find that my finger covers up the text I am supposed to be selecting, so I can't see exactly where the cursor it.  Also, way too easy to move it so far where you end up one character off of where you want.

It would work better using the onscreen blue handle thingy if the handle were combined with a local magnifier (like on the <cough cough> iPad.  However, I would prefer a simple cursor key to both methods.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Xandrex wrote:
if you tap and hold, you should see a little blue handle, that you can move right and left.

here is a link to a video displaying how to do a copy/paste on a fixed text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGHMDLOx_8

It is not what you want to do, but if you put your finger on a text field with your text in it, you will have one of those blue vertical handles, and then you can move the handle left and right.

No and it's not what the poster wanted either. Clue the post was the word "keyboard" 

woofhavenchuck wrote:

I agree with @jarvisor.  It seems to me that the little blue handle thingy is often cumbersome and annoying.  If the font size is small, I find that my finger covers up the text I am supposed to be selecting, so I can't see exactly where the cursor it.  Also, way too easy to move it so far where you end up one character off of where you want.

It would work better using the onscreen blue handle thingy if the handle were combined with a local magnifier (like on the <cough cough> iPad.  However, I would prefer a simple cursor key to both methods.

That iword not allowed here.

Also the blue handle often refuses to stay where you dragged it. Playbook cursor control is a serious design problem.

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

If this is still going, then... please please please can I subscribe to my Basecamp icalendar sometime soon and can RIM add a simple _nope!, leave it alone_ option to the predictive autocorrect for those frequent occasions when I really do know what I'm typing and don't want it substituted..???

Also - don't know about the i-cough-Pad but I find the PB cursor tool much, much, much easier to use than the i-cough-phone one. ;-)

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

hello gumnutninja,

I am sorry but I do not understand your first sentence about the auto correct. Can you explain to me please?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

Hi Xandrex,

I'll try...

The predictive text & auto-correct feature on the PB is pretty good - especially in terms of time-saving when it comes up with alternatives for what you might be trying to type instead of just detecting when it thinks you have made an error.

But,.. I find that it often substitutes it's first-ranked suggestion automatically without giving me an option to override it. And when _none_ of the predictive word suggestions are what I want to type, it takes several repeats of "backspace/delete and try again" before it accepts that I really do want to type what I'm typing. Recent example - I tried typing E-Redaer on the playbook and it took three or four attempts for it not to substitute Evening for E.

On the i-devices, the suggested word comes up as a balloon with an "x" that you can press to override the substitution. It's not coming up with multiple alternatives (except when you do select & replace) but it is easier to override.

Maybe the problem is that I haven't figured out how to override it.. If so, please let me in on the secret and I'll be very happy.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

ok it is much clearer to me.

when I try to type "E-Reader"
I type :
E --> displays E, and proposes several words like Estate English
E- --> displays E- , and proposes several words like OBS and 10

and then I can continue. So everything is like what I want.

let's try another example, I am a gamer. Let's type "R-Type"

I type R -> displays R, proposes Feb R Real Read Red
I type - -> displays Feb-
I type backspace -> displays R
I type - -> displays R-

and if I redo the same thing but a second time :
I type R -> displays R, proposes Feb R Real Read Red
I type - -> displays Real-
I type backspace -> displays R
I type - -> displays R-

so I think that indeed, could be better. but it only takes one backspace, and retype the letter, and after that it works.

I wish I could add "R-Type" to the dictionary.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

When I do it, as soon as I press the hyphen, it swaps E to Evening.. and it takes at least three backspace & delete attempts before it stops replacing and just lets me type. I also swear at it a little, but silently and I don't think that has any efect.

If they would give me my ical subscription,though, I would be more willing to put up with the autocorrect shenanigans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICalendar

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

Settings, Keyboard, then turn off "automatically correct as I type"

Sometimes typing in the top line you accidentally select one of the suggestions, but you can turn that off too in same settings.

Ah, but.. that's why I want the override.. I do make a hellavaload of typos and love the autocorrect for those.

I just don't want 'em when I don't want 'em....woman's perogative, don't you see ;-)

Please use plain text.