Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Future Things we want Rim to Fix on the Blackberry Playbook: Make App World a User Community

"Social Network" (SN) should not be limited to Facebook App on Blackberry Playbook.

RIM should build the SN in app world by encouraging user feedback, user involvement, and getting playbook users to visit app world every day.

How?

1. When clicking on Featured Apps, add a link to the CATEGORY the app belongs to, so we can browser other apps

2. Reward reviewers with points. If a review is helpful, that "kudos" is added to the reviewer's profile. Reviewers get a score beside their name so they build a "name" and rep in app world. It's like ebay or amazon.

3. In app world, you should be able to RUN app, not just DELETE the installed ones

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Please use plain text.
Contributor
oneway
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Future Things we want Rim to Fix on the Blackberry Playbook (RIM Please read and reply) Paying customers need some feedback.

I have to admit app world actually lacks alot of controls! we should be able to re arrange in each categories not only the paid and free apps, but also new and most popular as well! Also certain apps that we find in the New pan in the feature window, sometimes i cant find them in any categories! WTF? So i basically have a hard time of finding the new apps so i can test them! Also like the person above me stated, you should really build a review system that will benefit both the developpers and the consumers to facilitate apps choices!
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Future Things we want Rim to Fix on the Blackberry Playbook (RIM Please read and reply) Paying customers need some feedback.

Perfect, was looking for a place to list new features and the like. I actually kept a list as I found things.

• Spellcheck/auto-complete (should be an option similar to BlackBerry phones; do you want auto-complete, spelling correction, etc.)-Dire need of this, bad at spelling.
  • In-line PDF viewer in browser (as mentioned before, view PDFs in the browser instead of needing to download them to view them).
  • Silverlight browser plugin would be nice (or, as a Dev, the ability to make browser plugins).
  • Scroll-lock on browser (Some of the sites I go to have menus [Flash and standard HTML] that require hovering. It would be good to be able to lock the browser in place and "hover").
  • Refresh WiFi (when the PlayBook disconnects from WiFi to conserve battery, can I refresh the WiFi instead of turning it on and off?).
  • Customizable homescreen tabs (there can always be the "permanent" current tabs but the ability to add/remove custom tabs. While at that, moving/copying app shortcuts from one tap to another).
  • Change the language on the Keyboard (If you have a password on your PlayBook, the keyboard has the option to change the language [this doesn't exist normally]. I changed this by accident and there was no option to change it back. I had to re-add a password to change the language back).
  • An option in the browser to control how tabs are handled (reorganization of tabs is one possibility but I am thinking more in what the browser does. Many people I know, including me, open up a bunch of tabs to go through later. It's annoying to click a link to open a new tab and to be removed from the current page to the new tab. Also closing tabs, since I can close tabs from the menu bar, don't bring me to the tab before the page I closed. Leave me on my current page and simply close the tab. But since this is all user-preference, make these things options).
  • [Again with tabs] Don't close the menu bar when I add/close tabs (Keep the bar open in-case there are other tabs I want to close. Or, to get a leg up on other mobile browsers, the ability to mass-close tabs [similar to deleting a bunch of images or emails[).
  • Some of the little text components from BlackBerry, such as double-space for a period and a space after it.
  • Mute, as a music listener I need a mute button. Maybe not a dedicated one on the device but possible a soft-mute (option on screen, double-press lower-volume rocker, etc.).
  • Right now all pictures on the PlayBook can only be organized by plugging it in to a computer, can we organize this on the PlayBook itself?
  • A "battery life remaining" counter that gives a estimated time.
  • An option in the browser to continue to load the current webpage even if I switch tabs (in the same manner as the previously mentioned "open a bunch of tabs before viewing them", I don't want to have to wait for each to load when I get to it. I expect them to be loaded already).

Bridge:

• Cross-media access for media player/camera (I have all my music, pictures, and videos on my BlackBerry. I would like to be able to listen to my music/watch videos/view pictures on my PlayBook that are stored on my BlackBerry).
  • A few times I sent an email but it didn't work, but unlike BlackBerry, there is no "Resend" option.
  • Since I am already hooked up with Bridge, can I do txt messages through it as well?
  • This is a very extreme one that is unlikely to occur, but a Phone option through Bridge. Almost like speaker-phone.
  • If we have a picture on the PlayBook that we would like to assign to a contact, can be have the option to do so? Automatically save the image to the phone so it works when the PlayBook disconnects.
  • When accessing files/media over Bridge, the ability to switch between the internal memory and the SD card.
  • This is another big and highly unlikely thing to occur but, since Bridge occurs through an App that needs to be downloaded from App World in order to get it to work, would it be possible to have apps for non-BlackBerry phones to interface with the PlayBook through Bridge? BBM would have the current "not available" icon unless it was hooked up to a BlackBerry but the rest of the apps could still be used. I let probably 30-40 people play with my PlayBook (pun intended) and about 3/4 of them want one. But of those who want it, only about 3 have BlackBerrys. It would be great to broaden the user base of PlayBook.
  • In the calendar app, can we add an alarm option?
  • Another unlikely one, the ability to view the screen of my phone on the PlayBook (if you have seen some of the videos of the Motorola Atrix's "desktop mode", they have an application that lets you view and use the phone from the desktop).

Bugs/Issues:

• There are a few apps that I don't need that come pre-installed, when I delete these the PlayBook tells me I have an OS update which simply reinstalls them. Could it be changed so that deleted apps remain deleted when an OS update occurs (and that it doesn't say we have an OS update when we remove these apps)?
  • Sometimes the browser becomes "corrupted" and shows garbage when the screen is rotated.
  • When the browser is double-tapped it flashes before zooming in.
  • Though I saw it somewhere else and someone says it works for them, I can't get my PlayBook to charge from my computer. I always have my computer, but not always a wall-outlet charger for the PlayBook, could charging through the computer be possible?

I won't say any apps since RIM doesn't have any control over if a company is willing to put an app on the device unless they agree to do an "official app".

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
grissom
My Device: Tour alarm clock
My Carrier: nada

it is always great to hear more people who want the playbook to be what we know it CAN be
From an Apple or Android device
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MiataMike
My Device: Not Specified

Sure would like text search capability in Docs to Go
Please use plain text.
New Developer
wolfier
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]
  1. the shutdown app to have a "sleep" option so that i'll not need to use that cursed power button
  2. better yet, a magnetic way to put it to sleep if the sensor is already there - and please don't tell me it isn't, because it's a feature of every Blackberry holster
  3. another vote to the App World for an easy way to go from the details of any app, including a featured app to its category
  4. again, CJK input support out-of-the-box.  Because I thought it's a world tablet, and there are people who speak more languages than those using Roman alphabets
  5. if i haven't raised so...it's important - opening tabs in the browser, in the background, so people can read them later instead of being forced to read the new tabs immediately
  6. direct SWF player, so all the Flash apps out there can become a PB app right away - I know, there's still the issue of signing, but if application permissions is enforced well it is no worse than running javascript in a browser.
  7. the ability to use USB thumb drives and external hard drives because I suspect a lot of multimedia books and downloadable videos are coming out soon - and if you think 64GB is going to cut it...think again.
  8. GPS navigation software without using data, or at the very least, a cache for maps so the same part of the map doesn't need to be downloaded twice.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
grissom

speech recognition like my Galaxy Tab, for search and talk to type.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BankDelen
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Proximus

Some more things

** An international PLUG :smileyhappy: 1 head 3 plugs would be easier.

** Close all apps button

** Instead of HDMI or in combination with, a wireless player for TV and PC (like the presenter)

** Categorize installed apps

** Search...

** Personal Tabs

** Update all button in Appworld (also for blackberries)

** NO interaction with personal files and corporate files or data (meaning a link in a mail is opened via the bridge browser)

** more swipe moves

** open your videochat with lync and polycom (and others maybe)

** more later

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
grissom

powerpoint prentation to big screen capabilities. better drawing apps, more like MS paint. alternative camera apps. virus security, and messaging access from playbook.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Pulsar9
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None

I would also like:

- The ability to see all of the apps in the app world

- The ability to see all of the apps in a category in the app world

- The ability to sort (alphabetically, highest rating and most downloaded)   the apps I am currently looking at, be it all apps, all apps in a category, or all apps in a sub category

- More swipe moves but I would also like the option to have custom swipe moves. I don't just want preset swipe moves that we assign a function to, I would like to see the ability to create my own gestures and assign an action to it form a wide variety of actions (open a specific app, turn off, standby, turn on Bluetooth, wi-fi, mute sound, sound up/down, etc...) 

- I would also like the browser to support Silverlight. I want to watch Netflix on my playbook and the ability to do this without using an app would be awesome.

- I'm sure that I will think of more...

Please use plain text.