Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Re: Future Things we want Rim to Fix on the Blackberry Playbook (RIM Please read and reply) Paying customers need some feedback.

The cut and paste and text selection and spelling corrections work very well in docs to go, so it would be great to see this behaviour across the PB as a whole.

Autocorrect and word substitution are obviously there, is it uses the BlackBerry lists on the bridge apps. I'm sure that's coming...

WHAT I REALLY WANT is full support for multiple video and audio formats. Ogg, flac. flv to name a few. It's frustrating to know that my Bold 9700 supports more formats than the PlayBook right now.

So much for them to do, and so little time. Smiley Happy

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Future Things we want Rim to Fix on the Blackberry Playbook (RIM Please read and reply) Paying customers need some feedback.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Keep them coming 

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Developer
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...
My Carrier: AT&T

Another vote for arrow keys - precision cursor placement for editing/correction is frustrating.

Soft keyboard working more like the blackberry virtual keyboard would be great - it's bad that it takes three keystrokes to type any common symbol: sym, keystroke,sym. It should be sym+keystroke only.
An option to have hold-key type a capital letter instead of an alternate character list.; or if the alternate list included the capital letter and the corresponding symbols that might work well instead.
Autotext and autocap/punctuation is critical- especially for us bb users that have come to rely on it.

Typing correction/assistance would be good.

spelling suggestion list - it's like apps are taunting me. "you made a typo, now you have to figure out how to move the cursor back to fix it! nyah nyah!"

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

I agree with the cursor keys, but again having a gripper for the cursor like in Word to Go would prevent needing to potentially switch keyboards if you're in a typing flow. Give us both!

Also, let me save my emails onto the playbook as a document so that I can edit it. Yesterday, with an almost crippled selection tool I spent the good part of an hour trying to copy the contents from an email into Docs to Go. Ugh!

ALSO - multiple open documents in docs to go - this is a multitasking tablet, let me have more than one Word doc (or any other kind) open at once, even if for now I cannot see them both on the same screen, at least they should be a bezel swipe away.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

This is probably getting repetitive, but RIM needs to get the hint.

1) Support for file folders.  Until the Playbook supports file folders, the Playbook is nothing but a bigger screen for my email and a web surfing gadget.  I need file folders to be able to really use this for work.

2) Along with file folder support, we need a proper file manager where we can browse the file system to rename, edit or delete files.

3) SSH client.  There is a developer in these forums who is waiting for the native development kit to be released so he can port an SSH client to the Playbook.  It seems like a chicken and egg problem.  We need the NDK to be released so we can start seeing some useful apps (Facebook looks great, but is hardly useful for work).

4) RDP client.  It probably won't be RIM that writes this app, but it's still an app that would make the Playbook very useful in my environment.

5) I need to be able to open TXT, ZIP and HTM or HTML files from email.  (HTM and HTML are the same type of file, but both extensions are common).  In addition to ZIP, other archive formats should also be supported (GZ, TGZ, TAR, RAR, etc.)

6) Better cursor control is definitely needed.

7) The ability to change the browser identification for sites that expect to see Internet Explorer or just work better if they think you're using Firefox.

8) The ability to organize bookmarks in the browser including changing the order in which they are displayed and editing the names.

9) The Adobe Reader app desperately needs some basic functionality added.  I can't search within a PDF, I can't click on links, there are no bookmarks displayed.  It's like we have version 1 of Acrobat Reader for DOS from 1993.  I'm not sure why Adobe would want their name associated to such a crippled PDF reader.

10) I haven't been able to figure out how to get to a specific page of a document in Word To Go.

11) I need an epub reader that will read epub documents that I already own and have not purchased through Kobo.  Support for Adobe Digital ID would be a bonus, but not absolutely necessary.

12) There needs to be a way to disable standby.  Five minutes is too short.

13) Dropbox.  Not a RIM issue, but still would be a very useful feature.  If you have a Dropbox account, vote for Playbook support here:  https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/4753/blackberry-playbook-native-version

There are a lot of other features that would be useful, but these are the features that would allow me to be more productive from using the Playbook.  Everybody's "must-have" list is going to be a little different.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Tour alarm clock
My Carrier: nada

just got an update to 1.0.3.1868, excited to see what changed. giving me an option to send a picture from my "pictures" app via email, or copy and paste would be useful. locking my screen in portrait mode disappears when I open an app that orients itself landscape only, I have to reset the portrait lock. spell check on internet comments like word to go.
From an Apple or Android device
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: tmobile

I know this sounds simple but since the power button is so annoying to use can a simple fix be made where when you push the power button that appears on the screen the options include standby.  When you do so now the options are shut down or restart.  Just add standby to the on screen display options to get around the annoying button on top of the unit.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Tour alarm clock
My Carrier: nada

i actually like the power button, i like the hard keys up top also. but i agree with the standby
problem, though from bezel to bezel wakes the tablet, whether in portrait position, or landscape. i urge BB to concentrate on the "business" aspect of the tablet, get the cut, copy, paste, highlight, curser, email, docs, file management, font, color, keyboard options, pdf options, adobe usablness, before i bought my PB, i saw somewhere online there was a word program that looked very competent, with a layout twinning microslft word. the price was either $49 or $59, but would be so worth it, i left this reply raw and error filled just to show, how BB got away from its winning niche. forget the kiddies for now, in my opinion $600+ isnt kiddie cash. make this an adult toy
From an Apple or Android device
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700, Playbook Tablet
My Carrier: U Mobile

ability to create folders
Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

We also need 'full' bluetooth support. For us who do not use BlackBerry phones it would be nice to be able to connect to the 3G network when needed. This device is beautiful! If RIM wants to sell many of these 'berries' why not broaden it's appeal to all?