Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Ballmarx
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Bell

GPS on Playbook

Just about to buy online, but was not able to confirm that the Playbook has a built in GPS?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: GPS on Playbook

It does, but some people are having various issues with it. The latest OS upgrade has been reported to be better with it. Not certain if the issues are device related, OS, or app interface related.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Migueloth
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Telcel

Everything works just fine but I can't get the gps to find my location. Just updated and still won't do the job.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

I found having the device near a window to open sky for about 5 minutes did the trick. Walking outside for a few minutes did the trick on a second device.
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

By the way - those using Bing Maps - this DOES NOT use GPS. It uses wifi to get your location.

However there are apps that use the GPS quite happily and the web browser also uses GPS for geolocation.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Migueloth

gps is working fine now!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
SacredRide
My Device: Playbook & Torch
My Carrier: Telus

cas118,

I am using the bing map over wifi and it isn't able to find me.  Are you saying that Bing is able to find your location?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

GPS is still hit and miss. I was in Williamsburg, VA this weekend. I was outside for most of the day, and I could just not get a fix with any GPS related application. After about 30 minutes, it updates to lat/lon=0.
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

I did get Bing to find me - I cannot remember the exact process now though.

One thing I did do to test the GPS was to use the Bridge Browser to access a site which tests the browser geolocation feature and this works fine.

Annoyingly, there is no button for Geolocation on the Bing maps website.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Migueloth

[ Edited ]

Yes, bing found my exact location.. with N/W & Alt data.. I was happy to find that Bing maps are quite complete, I live in Mexico and I recommend when visit Mexico use bing maps or google maps; they have the most accurate detail.

Please use plain text.