Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
MauriceRice
My Carrier: Telus

Re: GPS on Playbook

only1maher wrote:
there is no built in A-GPS device on the playbook, it's using the internet connection to get the locations, playbook has only wi-fi and bluetooth connections only

Let's clarify this:

1. PlayBook has internal GPS hardware that works by connecting to the constellation of GPS satellites

2. PlayBook does not have the software enhancement known as A-GPS (assisted GPS) which uses other means (eg nearby cell towers) to speed getting an initial location. 

3. PlayBook's GPS function does not need a connection to the internet in order to function properly (allthough some apps notably Bing and Poynt) need an internet connection to display maps and/or perform local searches).

See Peter's excellent tutorial above for information about how to use PlayBook's GPS feature

Please use plain text.
Contributor
constructionlaw
My Carrier: Verizon

I couldn't get Compass to locate without wifi in several places.  I'll try in the car and see what happens.

Thanks for all of the great replies, I appreciate it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
constructionlaw

I got an accurate reading in my car with Compass and not logged in to this wifi.  I guess the Playbook gets info from WiFi that throws the location off

Please use plain text.
Developer
MauriceRice
My Carrier: Telus

constructionlaw wrote:

I guess the Playbook gets info from WiFi that throws the location off

Again, I wish to clarify: The PlayBook does not use  WiFi in any way to obtain a GPS location. However, if an app is too quick to display information that it gets from the PlayBook's GPS, it will show an incorrect location on its map or search list. For example, the Poynt app seems to take the first information it receives from the GPS chip instead of waiting for the hardware to get an accurate fix. You may need to restart the app several times in order for it to display an accurate reading. This in NOT because there is some inherent problem with the PlayBook, rather, it is because the app's developers have not done a particularly good job of implementing the GPS feature.
In the compass app, you will notice that the location will be wildly inaccurate at first but will settle down after a few seconds. If you start Poynt while compass is running, you will likely notice that it can display a more accurate initial result simply because the chip has had an opportunity to "warm up".

Please use plain text.
Contributor
constructionlaw

while i understand this the only place this has such an issue is when in his one building in Glen Allen, VA and connected to wifi there. this is information, not a real complaint. This really isn't a big deal
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Incognito56
My Carrier: Vodafone

Have just updated to 2.0. I am convinced that my Playbook does not have GPS.  No application will find it.  Not Bing, not Poynt, not Google Maps that I sideloaded.  For me, this make the Playbook a doorstop.  Never used.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

It does have it. Yours may be defective.

If you can start there instead of simply "it doesn't have it", maybe we can help you troubleshoot and either learn how to use it properly, or confirm that yours is indeed defective.

For one thing, don't use Bing, Poynt, or Google Maps for the test.

Try the free version of What's Up instead, or the free Compass app, since both of those will not give up as quickly as the others you mentioned.

Also, are you aware of all the things of which you should be aware to make effective use of GPS on these things? Where the antenna is, how GPS does not work indoors, how long you'll have to wait the first time you use it, etc?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Incognito56
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks for the reply.  An answer like : “Also, are you aware of all the things of which you should be aware to make effective use of GPS on these things? Where the antenna is, how GPS does not work indoors, how long you'll have to wait the first time you use it, etc.?" shows why RIM is finished. 

I say this being one of the biggest supporters RIM ever had.  Anyone who knew who Incognito56 was would be shocked at this post. 

I was all set to forgive them the disaster that was Playbook think version 2.0 would be the answer.  But 2.0 is an unmitigated disaster. 

Still full of bugs. 

And the Bridge.  Why not just make the Playbook a Blackberry connected device.  Why do I need the bridge to get my enterprise e-mails?  And no BB Messenger.  It's BB's killer App and it's not even native on the Playbook.  Half the time, the bridge fails to reflect the number of e-mails I have to read. I have to reboot to get it to show that I've opened an e-mail.

And who decided that needing Android Apps compiled for BB was a good idea.   There are still no apps out there.  Even apps like Blackberry Travel aren't available for the Playbook.  I pick up my Playbook and wonder what to do with it.  Then pick up my wife's iPad to read my Economist, check Bloomberg, trade fx on IgIndex and plan my movie for the evening.

The majority of the market won't go out in a field, that faces north on a night with a full moon and stand on their heads to use the device.

It must just work.  And it must just work with GPS. What's the point of having to go outside to use Poynt to see what movie I want to go out to see?  Or to plan my route to the restaurant?  GPS on my 9900 doesn't have these issues. Or on my wife's iPad.  She won't look at my Playbook.  There's nothing on it for her.

Sorry for the somewhat off topic rant, but I was waiting patiently to tell all the iPad geeks that I loved my Playbook (the operating system is still cool).  But it does need to work. 

Unfortunately, I think this was RIM last chance.  Time to move along folks.  Nothing to see here.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dvanderwal
My Carrier: Rogers

Hello folks.  New to the post.  I've been a longtime blackberry user and bought a Playbook on the weekend.  The main reason I bought it was in hope to use it as a gps in my truck.  I like the 7" screen.  I recently purchased a new f150 which has the sync option.  My previous trucks had the Nav option which I liked but I decided not to get the Nav option this time because of the $3500 cost.  I know I can go out and get a "regular gps" but I am trying for a little better "cool factor".  I waited for the 2.0 OS to come out before buying it with the understanding it works better.  So what I find so far is there are now significant gps apps that give audible turn by turn.  Contrary to some previous comments, the playbook does have gps.  I downloaded the Magellan Compass app and did have to go outside for it to find my location.  It does give turn by turn directions but unfortunately nothing audible.

Frankly, as I said, I primarily bought this for gps.  I have 14 days to return it but for $199 for the 16 gb device it does bring value in other ways so why not keep it?  If you want to compare this to an iPad...go buy an iPad. 

What would be my ideal scenario is to be able to buy a gps app for the playbook that  provides audible directions and through the sound system in the truck through the bluetooth connection to the Sync system.  Can't seem to find it now but if anyone has any ideas I'd certainly appreciate it.  But...and a big but...now that the Playbook is using the QNX version of Android I am hopeful there will be more and further development for apps like this.  I can say this, I bought the unit at Futureshop and the sales rep said he sold 35 units in that store alone that day.  I think the new OS is what people were waiting for and at that price.  If this is any indication the Playbook install base will significantly incrrease in turn drive a more palitable market for developers for it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Sounds like you're giving it a fair crack :smileyhappy:

If you have a BlackBerry Handset you can use BlackBerry Bridge for a live data connection.

I've sideloaded Google Maps onto the PlayBook, and got Google Navigation working, providing voice navigation and so forth.

The only annoyance is that the PlayBook times out after 5 minutes, and I can't figure a way to stop it in Google Maps.

But as it's through BlackBerry Bridge, it works surprisingly well.

Quite frankly, if a company fails to release a PlayBook navigation app before the first BlackBerry 10 phone hits, then they are missing a great earnings opportunity.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.