Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
dvanderwal
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: GPS on Playbook

Agreed and thanks.  I found and downloaded a free trial from Garmin for my torch.  It works but the voice works sometimes and not others.  And I can't get it to sync with the truck.  I figured if I got that working first then I'd try to bridge the playbook screen somehow.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

An upcoming version of Magellan Compass is planned to have voice turn-by-turn etc.  See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9wc_gNLNM for one of two demos.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dvanderwal
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Any word on availability? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

I don't know, but if you PM the developer (jtegen) he might have an answer for you, or could post it here to this thread for others to read.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

OK. If you need a GPS AND navigation app that doesn't require an internet connection, the only app that I can see available is the SkyLabs one. HOWEVER, I haven't heard many positive things about it and it concerns me that there are no screenshots. But if it doesn't work you can call BlackBerry PlayBook support and ask for a refund so it's worth a punt in my opinion.

If you need navigation and are happy to tether / bridge to your phone you can use Google Maps with the navigation beta built-in. I've used it. After a good few minutes of struggling to get a lock and stay alive it worked beautifully but I had to tap the screen occasionally to keep it alive.

If you don't need voice-assisted navigation then Bing will work, or Google maps, or you can just try some apps that best fit your needs.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tanguera65
My Device: BB10

I would like to say that the post above has an unnecessarily discourteous tone. It's obvious the developer has a very thorough understanding of GPS technology, but he appears somewhat put off by what he feels is a lack of clarity or understanding in the questions being submitted. However, many  or most of the people who post on these types of sites have a somewhat limited understanding of technology -- and that's why we ask questions. I had the same issues and questions as some other individuals on this thread, and I don't appreciate the inconserate tone one developer in particular has taken in trying to demonstrate his superior knowledge base. Some of us are not very familiar with this technology and terminology. But we don't deserve to be condescended to.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

If you believe you saw condescension in my post, then I'm sorry it came across that way, but it wasn't intended as such. I agree you don't deserve condescension, and I believe I don't deserve to be taken to task for being confused by a lack of clarity in the questions.

I realize people are not familiar with the terminology, which is why my posts are both instructive, and carefully precise. Those reading it will likely be better equipped in future to avoid confusing either themselves or the volunteers in this forum who attempt to assist them.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64
My Carrier: AT&T

The continuing questions posed in this thread generally seem to have been answered earlier as follows:

Does the Playbook have built-in GPS? 

Answered as Yes it does.

Where is a GPS icon? 

Answered as GPS is enabled through hidden or visible  icons in other applications, either compass type or as mapping\navigation apps.

Can it be used to navigate?

Answered as Yes, within limits of the map/nav application installed. The best one I've found so far requires sideloading (see page 4, reference to Google_Maps_6.1.1_nonrooted.bar.  It uses Google maps and provides route, written and verbal directions.  It does not require WiFi connection. I do not know if it can be used succesfully for cross-country travel but it serves well for local/city navigation.  The primary drawback to using the Playbook for navigation is it's 5 minute standby timer.

Hope this clarifies these points.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tanguera65
My Device: BB10

[ Edited ]

You're right. You shouldn't be taken to task for seeking clarity. It's the way you've done it that is disrespectful and unnecessary.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

I'm sure others will agree with you, but let's please move on...

It does seem clear that the options are pretty limited at the moment.

I haven't tried the Google_Maps one, but I'd note that if it provides full offline support it's likely violating Google's terms of service for Maps. They don't allow unlimited caching of their data, which is why many people are moving to the use of the OpenStreetMap data and tiles generated from it.

The "offline maps" apps which someone mentioned earlier have certainly not been well received. Don't judge them by their reviews and ratings either... it's well known that the vendor deletes negative reviews quickly and efficiently, and I've heard of only one or two people out of 100 who thought those apps were worth it. Also, there should be no reason for such an app to come in separate versions for each geographical area. Look at things like Maps(-) for how it should be done... one app, access to data for the entire planet.

Magellan Compass in its upcoming version still sounds like the best bet, and it would feel more "native" to the PlayBook than the ported Android apps seem to feel.

Please use plain text.