Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
TROONORTH
My Device: TORCH / BLACKPAD

Re: GPS on Playbook

Thank you tanguera65 for your kind support. I must say that the 'attitude' displayed was rather off-putting. Sarcasm is a rapier not a club. However, I find it difficult to become upset with typed words on a screen from someone I don't know. Perhaps if peter lived life a little more in the world of we humans he would realize that there are a lot of vagaries in language and a little more time listening and less time judging would go a long way to reducing the number of incidents like these.

Having said that, thank you peter for your help. I will give Magellan Compass when it becomes available.

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

[ Edited ]

As I said above the so called "on-device" maps on App Wrold, by Skylab Mobile Systems, are every poor. Once you loose wifi contact you will run out of the map, stored in your PB very quickly. 

MapDroyd on the other hand allows you to download an entire province or state or country.  They do a brilliant job of compressing a large amount of map data. However, these maps are still large and take some time to download and do take up some of the memory space in your PB. But you will not run off the map! Once your location is found, it is marked by a cross on the map and the cross will move on the map as you move.

Now to run MapDroyd you need to install  the mapdroyd.bar file on your PB. You will need to download a free PC program which will install the bare file on your PB. The process was written up on the website of BlackBerry Daily. The Site is now under development but if anyone is interested, I have the process and the bar file. 

If your goal is to leave your paper maps at home, and follow your move on your PB, this is the best app I found so far. 

Read my notes above. Some more info there. 

New Contributor
TROONORTH

Thanks Godot. Would you publish that information here or is it already on the site somewhere?

saritam
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

After reading the whole thread I understand that

1. Playbook has a GPS that can work withought wifi.

2. Or use BB bridge to use online navigation apps.

3. Sideload Google maps with navigation or MapDroyd through a PC installer (like DDPB installer?)

I am at work right now. I am going to try this out tonight. I bought my PB yesterday and have already sideloaded google maps with navigation from the Good-E-Reader app store.

Also, have a BB phone so shall try the bridge thing too.

Will keep u guys posted!

I wish to use playbook as a media system with GPS navigation in my car! I have a Garmin GPS and and HTC EVO but need a bigger screen :smileyhappy:

Super Contributor
godot2011

[ Edited ]

To install the on-device map app, MapDroyd, on you PB; go to www.playbookdaily.com for the process of 'side-installing' converted Android apps. Search for bar files. Once the results are displayed find the topic of  "BlackBerry PlayBook Android Apps Guide. How-to Download Links, Apps and More".

The process is a bit outdated as it refers to pre release OS2, but don't worry it works on the official OS2 just fine. It explains how to prepare your PB and your PC. You must be sure that on your PC you have a proper Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed and the DDPB software installed. Screen shots and links are available to make this a snap! 

The site has a number of bar files, including the MapDroyd.bar file. You must register to use the links and be able to download them bar files. 

Once again, this app is not an in car GPS system. You can not plan a route between points A and B etc. No complaints please!

MapDroyd is a FREE on-device map, where your position is moving on the map as you travel.  

New Contributor
TROONORTH

THANKS GODOT! I finally got around to downloading MadDroid and it works well. Unfortunately the marker that represents my current position travels off the map and I have to push the appropriate button to refresh the map but I am sure that this is just an adjustment  that I have to find.

Thanks again. I am enjoying my new seven inch GPS!!

Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64

Troon you just don't pay attention to what actually works and works well for GPS navigation. 

Super Contributor
godot2011

[ Edited ]

TOF wrote:

Troon you just don't pay attention to what actually works and works well for GPS navigation. 

TOF, I will try the sideloading the Google map bar file you are referring to. For local navigation it should be fine. The biggest problem is that other than MapDroyd none of the map apps actually provide large enough on device maps. You literally "run off the map" very quickly - lol. At that point if you do not have network connection (wifi or data net via your phone) you are 'on hour own'.  Time to dig up the paper map.

The makers of MapDroyd have an other app called NavDroyd on the Android apps store. This is a full GPS navigator with voice guidance etc ... The app is not rated very highly, I assume there is always place for improvement. It must be thought to compete with dedicated, establish GPS navigators like TomTom. For NavDroyd to work you will have to buy the map areas you want to travel in. This is not nessesarily bad, depending on the price. It would be nice to get NavDroyd's bar file from somewhere and experiment. I will ask the folks at PlayBook Daily. 

On another point you raise I fully agree, the 5 minute Stand By Timeout is a problem with map and navigation apps. You always have to 'caress' the dilsplay to keep it alive, even when the PB is plugged in. There should be away to set standby to "Never" in plugged in mode. Hello RIM!!!! Anyone out there? 

OK boys and girls let's be nice to each other and enjoy the cumulative knowledge here and our PlayBook.:Punk:

Cheers

New Contributor
josectorres88
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Thanks for all your help.

One question... How can I turn off the GPS?

Thanks.

Super Contributor
godot2011

josectorres88 wrote:

Thanks for all your help.

One question... How can I turn off the GPS?

Thanks.

You are welcome.  

Not sure what you mean by 'how can I turn off the GPS'.   As far as I know the GPS receiver in the PlayBook is activated by the app which needs it. (Or it could run all the time but that would be very poor power management, a waste battery power.) Or have you installed MapDroyd and asking  me how to turn the app off? If so, pushing up from the bottom frame the app should shrink and you could turn if off as any other application by touching the X. If for some reason that does not work, pull down from the top bezel and close the app. The operation of the Android player of the Playbook, particularly the bottom to left swipe with the finger can be a bit finicky.  

The good folks at PlayBook Daily have converted NavDroyd and made a bar file, but it will not install. I tried.  Looking into it I found that the native Android version of the NavDroyd app cost $6.99 Canadian. So it is not free. I think the reason it will not install because there is no pay mechanism available. Too bad. For that kind of money it would be a steel.