Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
josectorres88
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: 8580271

Re: GPS on Playbook

My gps is on.  I'm trying to turn it off. But I don't know how.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

josectorres88 wrote:

My gps is on.  I'm trying to turn it off. But I don't know how.

I do not understand what you mean by "my GPS is on".  Can you describe what do you mean by GPS? Is it an application you are referring to? If so which one? 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
josectorres88

Using the Advanced Management App, I can check the Apps or features that are "on" in my PB.  The GPS Reciever is "on".  Even with NO app that is running, and the wifi is off, the GPS Receiver is still "on".   How do I turn this GPS Receiver OFF?   Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

josectorres88 wrote:

Using the Advanced Management App, I can check the Apps or features that are "on" in my PB.  The GPS Receiver is "on".  Even with NO app that is running, and the wifi is off, the GPS Receiver is still "on".   How do I turn this GPS Receiver OFF?   Thanks.

OK - This is an Android app, written for Android phones. It was converted to run on the PB.  I installed it and here are my observations:

-  it does not seem to work very well on the PB 

- the features available under Settings may or may not work on the PB. i.e. I can not turn off my wifi. It will turn ON Bluetooth but it will not turn it off. Wifi scan also does not seem to work.

- I do not know what to tell you about turning off GPS other than not to worry about it. 

I am not sure this app is useful at all on the PlayBook. I deinstalled it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Magellan Compass is currently being beta tested. It will allow for off-line map data (after downloaded from the Internet) and allow for turn-by-turn voice instructions. It will also allow for real-time traffic, US Weather Radar, and US Airport Status (plus a lot more). Once beta testing is done, it will be released.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

[ Edited ]

jtegen wrote:
Magellan Compass is currently being beta tested. It will allow for off-line map data (after downloaded from the Internet) and allow for turn-by-turn voice instructions. It will also allow for real-time traffic, US Weather Radar, and US Airport Status (plus a lot more). Once beta testing is done, it will be released.

This is fantastic news!

I have contacted the makers of MapDroyd and asked them if they have any interest in making the necessary changes and selling their navigation version (NavDroyd) on our AppWorld. - twice. I have not yet had a reply to either message.

I believe the Playbook screen size is ideal for GPS navigation - aging baby boomers need glasses:No:

Update:  I just received a response from onesteoahead.com . The will put my request to their development team.

Maybe we will have two navigation options to chose from? I am all smiles! :Clap:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bagelhot
My Device: Playbook 64 gig
My Carrier: None

I had an iPad until i lost it in a taxi.  I bought the playbook as a replacement because i hated the closed system that i iPad had.  The itunes interface was a nuisance as well. plus the playbook is a nicer size for me.

I also would like better GPS software. I bought some offline toronto map thing for $10.00 from the app store and it's terrible.  It's slow and the buttons on the bottom of the screen are unlabelled.  There's no help.  The company has flooded the app store withmaps from all over the place.  There needs to be a better testing procedure before apps like this are uploaded.  Having hardly any softtware available is one thing, having a log of software that doesn't work is worse.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
josectorres88

So true. All these "Apps Markets" should have a better quality control on their sites. What good is it to have the quantities when you don't have quality.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

I agree with you, but I know that in 2012, if there is great quality control and only 3000 great quality apps, consumers will not want the PlayBook.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
alexstone
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange

I can't find the compass, can't find anything in Help relating to GPS, went to Appworld and can't find any free native compass. Can someone point me to where i can find:

The compass

GPS settings or some other way to check it is turned on

Please use plain text.