Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
alexstone
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: GPS on Playbook

Trying to follow this thread is pretty difficult. I have tried appworld - the 4th and fifth programs under relevance are not just called 'compass' so no wiser there. I think we are all now clear about mapping sotware using GPS technology. I too am looking for a way to make a mapping app use gps and help me locate my current position. Bing maps has not done that (i have been trying for 3 months) nor does OSMAND or googlemaps through the browser.

So my question for those who know a definitive answer is: how can i check if the GPS functionality is turned on and working?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

Try Magellan Compas, it is very good, and the latest version of the program even let you cache maps so that you do not need any connection once the maps are cached

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

alexstone, the reason you can't find "Compass" appears to be that it's been pulled from App World.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

I am disappointed with Magellan V3.  It downloads map tiles only. Hard to know how far the tiles cover the area.

I am much happier with the "Navigator". It is a converted Android app, available on the Playbook App World under maps and navigation. It allows you to download map sections by states, provinces and countries in Europe.  Still short on maps. They are working on then. The US, Canada UK and for some reason Austria are already covered.

Some functions, particularly searches still need network connection for both apps. But that's OK with me. 

Try it you might, like it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
TROONORTH
My Device: TORCH / BLACKPAD

Tried Navigator and liked it very much. I wanted to load it onto my Asus Transformer too but couldn't find it on Google Play. Any idea where it came from?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
piyushkundra
My Device: Playbook 32

My location still doesn't work with OS 2.

Does it have the required harware or is there a problem with the one that I have?

Piyush

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jhanks64
My Device: Using VZW Q10, new Z30, Two Z10's, Playbook, came from 9930 before

I tried Navigator, but the screen keeps going blank and tracking turns off.

Magellen Compas works pretty good, but I can't seem to get all of the map detail cached like I want.

John Hanks
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
TROONORTH
My Device: TORCH / BLACKPAD

Just used Navigator to guide us through the wilds of Northern New York state from Canada to Watkins Glen and back. The app worked flawlessly. My only problem is the inability to turn off the power saving 'time out' function that puts the Play book to sleep every few minutes.VERY ANNOYING!!

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

[ Edited ]

Fully agree! The PlayBook should extend its power management to keep the screen on, when the application requires it, such as navigation apps. At least when it is connected to a charger. Smart power management could turn off the screen while "following the course of the road" for longer time periods and turn it back on before the next instruction automatically. In addition, touching the display at any time would allow checking the progress of travel if desired, without the need to swipe. 

This is an OS function, certainly not impossible to ask for. How about RIM?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

If you can get Magellan Compass 3.0, it does keep the screen on while it on

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.