Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Re: GPS on Playbook

Magellan loads tiles. It is almost guaranteed you will drive off the map when off line. 

The Navigator loads states, provinces, countries.  These work well off-line. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
amdmark
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: none

You would think...That a device aka:Blackberry Playbook.  That comes with a GPS sensor built in to the device itself would have the necessary software preinstalled out of the box to make the device operate from the time the power is first turned on.

And as far as I can tell there is nowhere in the owners manual that explains that the PB doesn't operate out of the box with GPS functionality.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jhanks64
My Device: Using VZW Q10, new Z30, Two Z10's, Playbook, came from 9930 before
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless, AT&T

My Computer came with a Hard Drive, mouse, keyboard with the capability to create and edit spreadsheets.  Why didn't MS Office come with it for free?

John Hanks
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

amdmark wrote:

You would think...That a device aka:Blackberry Playbook.  That comes with a GPS sensor built in to the device itself would have the necessary software preinstalled out of the box to make the device operate from the time the power is first turned on.

And as far as I can tell there is nowhere in the owners manual that explains that the PB doesn't operate out of the box with GPS functionality.

Actually it does or at least mine seems to.   :Shifty:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
amdmark

I checked the Gear Icon and I cannot find GPS anywhere.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
amdmark

Actually I even went to the Help file and typed in GPS and NOTHING was returned as search terms...
So where is the GPS enabling section. No Find for me.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jhanks64
My Device: Using VZW Q10, new Z30, Two Z10's, Playbook, came from 9930 before
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless, AT&T

Actually it did come with Bing Maps, which can use the GPS and there are free apps like Poynt that can also use the GPS.

John Hanks
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64
My Carrier: AT&T

Yep, you're correct and I had just edited my message to reflect that so my apologies.  However, when you try an app like a navigation app, such as google maps android app, it will use your Playbook GPS to find your location.  First time you will get results over a 2-3 minute period if you are outside and not shielded from the sats.  Free apps are available from the App World that should allow you to see it in operation.

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

To check if your GPS receiver works on your PlayBook, download GPS Monitor - it is free.

Go outside, point it towards south (to more or less South) and give t time to find the satellites. Yes, for the first time it can take seemingly for ever - have a pop (beer, whatever) and wait.

Once It locked in to the satellites start  your navigator app.  Generally speaking after the initial lock-in the GPS receiver in your PlayBook is 'trained' - however every now and than it may still take some time to lock in.  Like when I took it to Europe, it was a bit confused and was slower than usual at first.

NEWS - if you read the news recently, TomTom signed a deal with RIM (as well as with Apple - hmm) to share their technology. Hard to tell what it will mean to us at this point. :Yes:

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
beavertail
My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Hi Everyone,

There is a turn-by-turn online/offline Playbook app called Osmand. Download it from AppWorld. You can set it to use online Google Map!! or download offline map of the world where you don't have wifi.

Please use plain text.