Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: GPS on Playbook

Yes, I've seen your other three posts on the same issue.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
beavertail
My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10

I have replied on two gps threads. May be two replies on one of them.

The Osmand v0.8.2 beta is truly an exciting release. It provides PlayBook with an edge in turn-by-turn navigation even more inclusive than Google! 

Google has kept the turn -by-turn from Apple. Now IOS rolls their own.

Osmand can use online maps like Google Map, Microsoft Maps and Cloudmade. Use offline vector maps you can download for those out of WiFi range places and countries.  You can choose routing services, online or offline. You get voice turn-by-turn navigation with instant rerouting capability.  Something you have to pay good money for, eg Garmin.

This all for free! Just this app alone can justify the outlay for a 16GB PlayBook. Do you see why I am excited? Osmand is one of the killer apps!!!

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

It seems you are promoting a beta software, are you involved with the development?  Not that it rally matters. Some point to make here.  Online maps are pretty useless on a wifi only tablet. OK if you can bridge your phone you can use on-line maps. But it is cumbersome. 

A real useful navigation app. must work offline with downloaded maps. That is why I like the Navigator. It works. Turn-by-turn navigation and all. Having another choice, the app you suggest is great.  I will try it, see who 'winns'. 

Thanks for the idea. 

Trusted Contributor
beavertail

No, I am not in anyway related to Osmand.

Osmand can do exactly what you are looking for - download map and do offline routing with turn-by-turn voice navigation with dynamic rerouting. 

Of corse, it has the online map and online routing which I use sometimes with my WiFi hotspot phone.

Is Navigator free? I would have tried it if it were. Osmand is free. That's why I want to let people know.

Look forward to your comparison.

Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64

Osmond has a very poor UI as though it was designed by those who had never used a GPS nav system before.

Lattitude (sideloaded app) is free and version 10+ also allows cache of areas of interest for off-line use.

Navigator is afflicted with the same problem Osmond has.

Pick one, none are Garmin quality regardless of price.  I resort to Torch and Garmin for casual nav problems.

YMMV. :-)

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

[ Edited ]

Agreed. As much as I like, and use the Navigator, its UI is quirky to say the least.

I said before it was interesting news that TomTom has licensed its product to RIM (and Apple! ) Maybe that arrangement will bear some fruit when BB10 is released. In the meantime we wait. 

Trusted Contributor
beavertail

[ Edited ]

TOF, 

For sure the Garmin interface is simpler as it is doing less and dedicated to one function. 

Osmand interface has a bit more because of the options it provides. It is not a dumb down interface like Garmin. 

Do try it to compare.

Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Godot2011,

I didn't know RIM licensed TomTom. That is interesting. Could this be for the car products - car infosystem?

I was thinking out loud that PlayBook and BB10 OS should ship with Osmand as it is so difficult for the untrained eyes to find and know.

Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64

@beavertail,

I have and unfortunately, our opinions differ.  Glad you like it.

Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Sorry to be a pest.

With due respect, which version did you tried?  0.8.1 beta? Or the latest 0.8.2 beta? 

0.8.2 beta is much improved in the interface. 

Thanks.