Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Reply
New Contributor
sappy3937
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎12-23-2012
My Device: Playbook

Re: GPS on Playbook

Absolutely cool app. Using it since last 2 weeks. It can render googlemaps, has offline ready map also (need to download), it save all the tiles of online map to offline. So next time you don't require internet to view this offline. It snaps to your current position and update it every 1 second, so no need to refresh the map overtime. It has lots of functions, might require a couple days to get adjusted. Only problem is:- GPS rcvr stops working when OS goes to sleep mode, but that's not the app's problem, it is PB's OS issue. There is a simple work around for it, which i planned myself and successfully executed. 
1) Get a full length movie or video of 2 or more hours

2) Get a car charger ready for PB.

3) First Open the movie and minimize it.

4) Open OSMAND, find you location, start navigation.

5) Minimize OSMAND , make sure you have enabled the setting of 'keep application alive on background')

6) Now enjoy the GPS, maximize OSMAND when require. you can view OSMAND in minimized state also.

 

:-)

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
Posts: 417
Registered: ‎04-30-2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

Re: GPS on Playbook


sappy3937 wrote:

Absolutely cool app. Using it since last 2 weeks. It can render googlemaps, has offline ready map also (need to download), it save all the tiles of online map to offline. So next time you don't require internet to view this offline. It snaps to your current position and update it every 1 second, so no need to refresh the map overtime. It has lots of functions, might require a couple days to get adjusted. Only problem is:- GPS rcvr stops working when OS goes to sleep mode, but that's not the app's problem, it is PB's OS issue. There is a simple work around for it, which i planned myself and successfully executed. 
1) Get a full length movie or video of 2 or more hours

2) Get a car charger ready for PB.

3) First Open the movie and minimize it.

4) Open OSMAND, find you location, start navigation.

5) Minimize OSMAND , make sure you have enabled the setting of 'keep application alive on background')

6) Now enjoy the GPS, maximize OSMAND when require. you can view OSMAND in minimized state also.

 

:-)


Yes it is a great app. However, watch for the routes it creates!  Try it in your home city. Look at the route it generates and ask yourself ; would I choose this route?  Compared to Nokia Maps (which are also free if you have a Nokia phone) OSMAND's algorithm has a lot to be desired. Make sure you don't end up on going to Chicago via the North Pole - Santa is very busy these days, cranky with visitors. KEEP a map handy. Just in case.

 

As for traveling, I have invested in a 'magnatic' fast charger and a 12V to 120V inverter. This setup works great as this charger does not stick out from the body of the PlayBook as the standard charger does.  Also you completely eliminate the possibility of damaging the USB port. 

 

 

 

 

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Posts: 85,712
Likes: 23,106
Solutions: 5,951
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: GPS on Playbook

With OSMAND, how does one set the app to use online maps rather than downloaded?




1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes


Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sappy3937
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎12-23-2012
My Device: Playbook

Re: GPS on Playbook

Yes. You are right that the route calculation algorithm is not perfect. As I am from calcutta, India what i do is , i make my route plan before the journey starts. I ask some body for the important land marks then i follow my the map according to my current position. And one more thing, for India the OSMAND offline vector map is not very rich. So i use google map. On the move i connect my playbook to my nokia asha 311, akd use the mobile data internet connection through internet tethering. It works good. And once you have internet in PB on move you may use browser based google map also sometime for unknown route mapping.

 

By the way, isnt there any straight forward way to keep the gps rcvr active while PB is in standby mode? Or we make standby as "never"?? I guess a small patch update can fix that.Why RIM is ignoring this part? They already had released almost 3-4 update after 2.0 OS. :-(

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
Posts: 417
Registered: ‎04-30-2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

Re: GPS on Playbook


JSanders wrote:

With OSMAND, how does one set the app to use online maps rather than downloaded?


Try Settings - Navigation - Navigation Service to pick on-line or offline navigation. I use offline maps only since I have no BlackBerry or data plan. The OpenStreet Maps are quite good. 

 

I also tinker with Noia Maps for BlackBerry - available on App World. 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
Posts: 417
Registered: ‎04-30-2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

Re: GPS on Playbook


sappy3937 wrote:

Yes. You are right that the route calculation algorithm is not perfect. As I am from calcutta, India what i do is , i make my route plan before the journey starts. I ask some body for the important land marks then i follow my the map according to my current position. And one more thing, for India the OSMAND offline vector map is not very rich. So i use google map. On the move i connect my playbook to my nokia asha 311, akd use the mobile data internet connection through internet tethering. It works good. And once you have internet in PB on move you may use browser based google map also sometime for unknown route mapping.

 

By the way, isnt there any straight forward way to keep the gps rcvr active while PB is in standby mode? Or we make standby as "never"?? I guess a small patch update can fix that.Why RIM is ignoring this part? They already had released almost 3-4 update after 2.0 OS. :-(


Two points,

1. If you have a Nokia phone try their free Nokia Maps. 

2. RIM as all phone and tablet device manufacturers are very concerned about minimizing power consumption. So when you are complaining about sleep mode remember that. Nokia solved this problem brilliantly for Nokia Maps. If you are on your battery the phone shuts off the display when you are "just following the road". The display will come to life when there is time for a new instruction from the GPS. However, if your phone is plugged in the display never goes to sleep. 

 

I would not be surprised if this mode of operation is lisenced by Nokia. These days so is the color black. In any case I bought a "magnatic" charger for my PlayBook and I used it with a 12V to 120-240V inverter in my car. I like this solution because it does not use the rather fragile micro USB port of the PlayBook AND it does not stick out as the standard charger does from the body of the PlayBook. Unfortunately this does not solve the lack of "NEVER" option to shut the screen off while not on battery. 

 

Happy new Year to you.

Please use plain text.
New Member
madasaman
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-08-2013
My Device: BB 9300

Re: GPS on Playbook

I downloaded Telmap Navigator on my 9300 works fine and has voice instructions. Not sure about linking it via bridge to your playbook. I've just bought one and am still getting my head around it.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Posts: 85,712
Likes: 23,106
Solutions: 5,951
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: GPS on Playbook

Thanks, we're talking about GPS navigation ON the PlayBook.

An app of the same on your 9300 will be bridged to the PlayBook.




1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes


Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sappy3937
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎12-23-2012
My Device: Playbook

Re: GPS on Playbook

Hello friends,

 

Hope you all are doing well. Since last 2 days i was thinking of sharing my thoughts and experience on the GPS with mu Blackeberry Playbook. 

 

Coming very straight forward..

 

Currently i am using OSMAND and Magellan Compass. The advantage of Magellan compass is it prevents playbook from going standby while active in front. Thats really cooo and practical when using GPS on the go. Having said that, i must say magellan compass is incomplete even with V4.1. Does have that fludity which is required in gps apps. Lags a lot. Does not prperly cache the tiles. Once you close the application and reopen it it again goes online to fetch the map data. I am disappointed. I really dont know how they got 4.5 rating upon 5. If there 'direction to the movement' available? I could not find.

On the other hand OSMAND is very good except one feature - 'prevent playbook from stadby'. Damnnnnnn.. Missing of only one feature lead me to buy Magellan compass which disappointed me. And also the routing algorithm of osmand needs improvement. But otherwise its awesome. Fast, fluid. Useful, lots of features are there.

 

 

 

Last but not the least i must say, playbook is awesome device. :-) . I got addicted on the GPS part. Already discovered lots of nice place to visit with the help of GPS only. I am loving it.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
Posts: 417
Registered: ‎04-30-2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

Re: GPS on Playbook

[ Edited ]

I agree.  There are a number of decent GPS apps one can use on the PlayBook but I am only aware of two, Osmond and the Navigator which are truly off line capable, allowing to download maps by state/county, not requiring any on line connections. OSMAND in many ways seem to bee a 'clone' of Navigator. I prefer Osmand, it has a cleaner, better user interface. As said above both has problems with the algorithms calculating routes. By the way it is a good idea to use all GPS systems with map - for a plan B. 

 

Some semi offline GPS you can also play with. Try Nokia Map on the Web. It allows to download maps tiles into the PlayBook.  There is also a "GPS maps using Nokia Maps", available on BlackBerry World. Strange eh? It promises map downloads 'in the future.  I have the paid ($1.99) version. Functionality wise it is not even close to Nokia Maps on my Nokia phone.  Off line GPS is very important to me. Yes, I will get BB10 - as soon as they have this feature. There was in the news a while back that TomTom was going to license their GPS to RIM (and Apple!). I wonder where that agreement went. 

Please use plain text.