Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64

Re: GPS on Playbook

8.1 beta.

Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

beavertail wrote:

Godot2011,

I didn't know RIM licensed TomTom. That is interesting. Could this be for the car products - car infosystem?

I was thinking out loud that PlayBook and BB10 OS should ship with Osmand as it is so difficult for the untrained eyes to find and know.

The TomTom -RIM/Apple arrangement was in the paper about a couple of weeks or so back.

As for Osmand, I fund it interesting that the developer charges $6.99 for a beta, read BETA, software.  I am actually surprised that RIM allows such thing on its AppWorld. 

Trusted Contributor
beavertail
My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10

If you read the description by paying you are donating and supporting the project.

It's not Google that has vast funding. 

Super Contributor
godot2011

Re: GPS on Playbook - Osmand

[ Edited ]

You are asking folks to 'invest' in a project? Hmm...If I do, how will I benefit beyond having another GPS program chowing up my memory? 

I downloaded the free version and the app looks like an 'offshoot' of the Navigator.  Granted with a refined GUI. However the similarities between the Navigator and  Osmand are uncanny. It seems they both have the same shortcomings.  Give you one example; I could not find a way to create a route with multiple stop overs. All routes are point -to-point. 

Neither Osmand or Navigator seem to be able to handle house numbers well, at least not in Ontario, Canada and in off-line mode.  They both use the same GIU images for this task. When entering a house number just does nothing. Far from a TomTom.

Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Interesting, for example, a salesman has five different appointments,  he can program in the five locations. The program will then figure out the order of the visits to yield minimum mileage and time consumed. Yes, it would be useful in this case. 

Otherwise, if you know the visit order, then multipoints can be broken down to multi point to point. yes, it would be good to do it in one shot instead of program in four separate times.

I must try the navigator tomorrow. 

Thanks. 

Super Contributor
godot2011

The salesman also need the ability to reorder the list of map points to be visited. Move any point up or down the list to any position and recalculate the results.

You are welcome. 

Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Just tried the Navigator. First it needs WiFi. It can only use online map. There is no offline map option. This is a huge difference.

I can go to a foreign country with my WiFi PlayBook. With just the GPS, I. Can get driving, biking and walking directions with a predownloaded map.

It can use any open source maps, including Google and Bing.

I support the project because it saves me from buying a Garmin, and my next trip out of the country I will not be lost and not have to carry paper maps.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

The manner in which Beavertail is pushing this app, I suspect he is either the developer or connected to closely.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Full disclosure - I am in no way, any shape or form be the developer, nor related to the developer.

I am a mere PlayBook enthusiast who see PlayBook as a beautiful machine. A lot of people had been criticizing the Playbook OS 1.0 lacking software.  I want to help change that perception around and make people aware of significant apps that PlayBook OS 2.0 has now and what they're capable of.

Examples:

Perception #1: There is no Google navigation.

Reality: Osmand is a superset of Google navigation. It can use Google map as one of the Open Source Maps. Plus you can download map. Not a lot of people know it. Case in point - Mr. Godot thought Osmand is just another point-to-point router and not realize the offline map and offline routing capabilities. Offline = no WiFi access.

Perception #2: There is no Skype.

Reality: ComWave ePhone is a good alternative for many PlayBook users. I am 100% not related to ComWave either. 

What I'm is I'm fighting for RIM as an underdog.

I have contributed $6.99 to support the Open Source Map Automated Navigational Directions (Osmand). Hope you all will see its usefulness and do the same too. Tell your friends as I have.

Thank you for your time. 

PS: just put in a pre-paid order at Staples for my eighth family PlayBook yesterday - a 32GB for $118. One question I have for the expert.  Is there a consumer grade BES so I can manage these eight Playbooks remotely? Do maintenance on them - run updates, push and delete apps etc. Turning myself into an IT dad. Thanks. 

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

BES Express should help you. I don't use it, and I don't know how it works with the Playbook, but I'm sure you can find out. You're very welcome. Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code