Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
ambvol
My Device: blackberry playbook

Gmail problems

A few days ago I reported that since changing my email account to gmail on my playbook the gmail account was not working properly in particular archiving and retreival of read messages. 

I tried several helpful suggestions which did not solve the problem.

I have now found, I think, the information might provide the answer.

Whilst browsing the internet, I found an official notification google(gmail) dated last year that from last year they would not be supporting Gmail on Blackberry.

I have gmail installed on an android tablet and it works on windows outlook theyseem to work ok.

My playbook sends and receives but archived files can disappear. 

As I dont send /receive more than a handfull of messages in a week I think that I might live with problem knowing that if I have ever to search for a lost email I can find it on the Gmail account via their website.

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Gmail problems

Gmail does work perfectly on Playbook provided you use live folders not the Archive process. Archives are peculiar to Gmail and are not supported on the message app, but folders like Work, Personal, etc are fine.

I have never tried calendar or contacts but again Gmail is different in having informally stored contacts held in the cloud, separate from formally stored contacts, and they are also not accessed by Playbok. 

Basically they complicated themselves out of the support from a standard Playbook.

You say Android can access the archived messages?

My Device: playbook

I use the playbook and an iphone for gmail.

I have no problems with either of them but have always noted that - if I want to search for an older email - the "continue search on server?" function that is a default feature of the mail application on the i-devices doesn't seem to exist on the Playbook. Other than that, I see no particular difference between how the two devices handle gmail. I don't have an android device to compare, and don't use Outlook.

From a storage point of view, it makes sense to me that the PlayBook would not store too much old mail locally on the device. Otherwise it could consume a lot of GB once you start retrieving multiple accounts, some with big attachments, etc. The "continue search on server?" feature is one I would definitely appreciate on the PlayBook. It would be more convenient that putting down the playbook to search instead on the computer or pull it up on my phone.

Otherwise, I have no trouble with the Playbook's sync to gmail, and I do like the Playbook's mail application overall.

Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook

Hi jarviser - I use the calendar sync between gmail and the playbok and it works great (except for the secondary calendars thing that my iphone doesn't fetch either - and there is supposed to be a workaround for it somewhere anyway). The playbook does sync to gmail contacts ok too - though I keep meaning to turn it off because I don't really use PB or gmail contacts anyway. Hadn't noticed anything in particular about the archiving - from the computer, gmail seems to archive a message into the "allmail" folder unless I choose to move it to a specific one, so when I archive from the phone or tablet I just do the same.

Contributor
ambvol

On checking again I think that I was wrong. My android tablet will not retrieve an archrived message if it is deleted from the all messages list.
I will have think whether I am using mailing correctly. Surely all messages are not meant to remain listed on on the sending device whether playbook or android tablet.
Surely archived messages should go on a server and be retrieved by searching using a key word
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

You are right. They are not "kept" on both. Messages are all stored in the web. The playbook takes a copy of all messages that are less than 7days old from the inbox, sentbox, trash, and all live folders. As they get older they drop off the playbook.  They are just copies.  However you can delete or move to folders in playbook and they duplicate the move in the web. Think of it as a remote control device for your gmail. However it cannot display or control messages older than the 7days, or archived ones (apparently).

You can increase the 7days in settings but 30 days is absolute max. 

No idea how androids store them.

My Device: PlayBook

Not trying to hijack this thread but my mail app on my playbook just quit gettingnew messages after working flawlessly for 5 months.  Where should I look for solutions?   Sorry, I am new to this forum.

Forums Veteran I
jarviser

Try changing the sync period for the account in advanced settings. That will fully resync. Or if that fails delete the account and add it back. usually fixes anything.

Thanks for your response.

Archiving I now understand is transferring to the all mail folder from the inbox. It. Seems from  also  from my other devices they go on the gmail Web account .

However although playbook seems to synchronized with other devices for messages, the search function no longer works. Search works ok on  the android. It works ok on outlook. But it does not work on Google on my playbook. It. did work before changed to. Google.

The gmail website instruction is to show the server address as imap.Google.com using port 993 I have tried this but it won't. accept these details it will only accept.  m. Google.com port 443. I wonder whether these instructions are for the phone

I would appreciate any confirmation that the search function works with Gmail on the PlayBook 

Forums Veteran I
jarviser

Mine is m.google.com port 443