Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Gmail problems

OK in absence of any other replies I sent two test messages to my gmail account from my hotmail. One message was archived in gmail, the other was moved to a folder I created in gmail called Safekeeping.

When searching in Playbook (after a few minutes for the thing to sync completely) the search will find the message on Safekeeping folder, but cannot find it in the Archive. It will not find any message older than the sync period (unlike alleged capability of eyepads etc which are claimed to bve able to continue the search on the server)

So nothing is added to what I wrote earlier:-

Messages in live folders can be displayed and searched provided they are no older than the sync period.

Messages that have been "archived" by the user in gmail cannot be displayed or searched in Playbook.

My Device: blackberry playbook
My Carrier: gmail

Thanks for your info
This presumably means that for someone who has a lot of message traffic might have some difficulty in retrieval of messages if they are not recent one's.
I wonder if this is a deliberately weakness introduced by Google in their support for blackberry because after all haven't Google got a major interest in android devices which are in direct competition with BlackBerry
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Same applies to all email providers. The sync period (7' 15 or 30 days) is how Playbook keeps the decks clear for normal daily emailing on the go. If you really need to delve back beyond 30 days you can always use the browser. I think gmail is unique in having an Archive, but I have never seen the reason except possibly to hang onto as much of our personal data as possible long after we thought it had been deleted. One day it's gping to be their intellectual property like Faceache and Twatter have tried and will try again. Keep it where you can see it at least.

I think that the fog is slowly clearing. I think that I have probably being trying to search for messages that I have archived believing that I should still be able to find them

I suppose for any messages that might need keeping track of for a much later date can be photograhed by the play book pressing the volume control buttons yes perhaps a bit crude but it's a permanent record.

Thanks for your help.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

I notice that the "Allmail" folder is missing on the PlayBook. I think that's where gmail sends it when you archive, as opposed to putting in a specific folder. There's one called [gmail] but it's not the same one.

The archive is just the lazy way of getting out of the inbox. I don't remember when gmail introduced folders and archiving, but I vaguely remember the original idea being that they weren't necessary - you just labeled messages or searched for them with google's awesome search skills blah blah. I remember hating it to start with - now I am just used to having an inbox with thousands of messages in it ;-)

The eyegadget's "continue search on server" is a definite plus - as is having that Allmail folder.

Gmail is apparently going to make life tough for users that don't happen to want an android device. They're ditching the Microsoft EAS license that makes it so easy to import gmail onto I-gadgets and, presumably, the PB. Importing mail, calendar, and contacts separately with IMAP, CalDAV, and CardDAV is the coming norm. I have seen bunch of accounts that I pull into the device mail client, so I'm not interested in using a.gmail app. Will probably shift my mail to a different host instead.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ambvol

My play book works ok now. As you say the Gmail folder appears to be where the archived files are kept until they are disappear presumably onto the server.
I suspect that the ones that have dropped out of the Gmail folder can be found If necessary by logging on to your account on the Internet. I haven't had time to check this out because I have my settings set at 30days. Some useful information can be found on the Gmail website.
Agree with all your observations re probable reducing support for blackberry but perhaps not because the will realise that people could change to another account
Please use plain text.