Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Playbook (
My Carrier: N/A

HELP - PlayBook won't backup PIM data

[ Edited ]

So twice now I've had to security wipe and restore OS 2.0 on my Playbook (glitch wifi during the first OS reload, which led to glitch OS).

Both times I've done a "full back-up" in Desktop Manager 7, and both times upon restore my locally saved contacts, my email accounts, and my locally saved mail messages never made it back on to the device.  The first time I restored the data immediately after I reloaded the device, and the second time, just to make sure, I re-added my email accounts manually before restoring the data... Both times I had the same result - the frustration of realizing that I was going to yet again have to manually re-type and re-add photos for the vast majority of my contacts; as I keep them locally on a work BlackBerry, rather than in various cloud email services...

RIM: am I doing something wrong, or did you forget to add a back-up feature to the most important apps that people are likely to have on their tablet?

Can anyone help me figure out whether I'm doing something wrong,  RIM won't talk to me because I bought my Playbook on release day, so now  my 90 days of "free" technical support are up.

My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Re: HELP - PlayBook won't backup PIM data

You're not doing anything wrong.

I've noticed a number of features that are now in 2.0 don't get backed up. Hopefully that will change with a new Desktop Manager and software updates.

I don't know what RIM's plan is - as they seem to be focussing on syncing contacts online rather than backing them up locally. Maybe that's the way that they think it should be from now on.

If you want to get their attention, you could always tweet @BlackBerryHelp with a link to this article. You never know, that might get some attention.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!