Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
af1960
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: BT

HELP - TOUCHSCREEN UNSTABLE

My touchscreen has suddenly started to behave oddly:

I had been browsing on the internet when the Playbook started to scroll back through the pages I had been on at lightening speed and then the touchscreen froze.

Re-setting seems to have brought it back intermittently, but some of the areas are still dead (top right hand corner, for example) and the pinch zoom sometimes operates on a single touch.

Is there anything else I can try?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: HELP - TOUCHSCREEN UNSTABLE

[ Edited ]

Best plan with suspected hardware problems (screen, sound, cameras) is...

First try a forced restart by holding power button for 20 sec til it goes off by itself. Then turn on.

Second thing to try out is backup your data then do a Security Wipe and test the fault again with no apps installed and before restoring data.

Thirdly try a debrick if you know how.

Finally call RIM as. Hardware fault is probable. 

Thanks,

I'll back up and try the Security Wipe - the forced close doesn't seem to have helped.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
af1960

Well I think I have reached the end of the road now - I have tried the Security Wipe, but can't get past the wireless connection page because the left swipe function won't respond to move to the next page.

A forced restart simply takes me back to the same page.

Does this confirm that this is a hardware problem that needs to be sorted out?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
af1960

I gave up and took the Playbook to the shop, who declined to deal with it before I had been in touch with RIM directly. They helpfully gave me the phone number (free from a landline) and the RIM support team were extremely polite and helpful.

Having talked me through a re-load of the OS, they concluded that it as indeed hardware, not software and arranged for my PB to be shipped via Fedex for examination and (hopefully) repair.

That's current state of play. I have been told to expect the return or bad news within about a week, so I will update when I know more.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

Just out of interest is that BT as in you are resident in Britain,  and was it a well known shop on the high street?  

Edit: and if yes to both,  is the Playbook inside the statutory 12 month retailer warranty period? Just seems an illegal thing for the shop to do under British law. 

Well spotted. I am a UK resident and the PB was purchased from a major high street chain.

Their own T & C provide a 3-month warranty on all goods, but they were not refusing point blank to assist - they were, I think, acknoweldging the limitations of what they would be able to do until RIM had tried to resolve the problem.

The PB is 9 months old and there are all kinds of legal grey areas about the rights of the consumer and the obligations of the seller in these circumstances.

So far, I am more than satisfied with the response - they put me in direct contact with RIM (I could have used their phone, but there was already a long queue of PB owners waiting to use it!), it has so far cost me nothing and my PB is en route to Aachen for examination by RIM.

I may be unhappy in the end, but for now, I'm simply waiting to see!

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

Yes very naughty.  12 months is the law and t&c cannot override it. After a month they should replace without question.  However as you say at nine months they only have to repair it within a "reasonsble time" which can be a month, and I reckon you will be in the best place. 

Must say, I am impressed with the service from RIM.

By return via Fedex, I received confirmation that my PB was deemed unrepairable and a replacement PB.

I have restored the data from my original PB and am now back up and running.

No complaints - I suspect that the high street store would not have given such good service.

Please use plain text.