Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a
Accepted Solution

Happy Hols + My PB has bricked..?

Hi all,

Have come away on holiday with my Playbook and it has had some kind of collossal crash - seems what I would call "bricked" (though if that has a specific meaning, I can't guarantee it's the right word).

Turned it on earlier today and, though unable to connect to the wifi here, it seemed fine until I turned on the camera. The camera did nothing - just sat there a blank screen - wouldn't come on properly and wouldn't let me swipe out of the app to access options or close it to get back to the main screen.

I pressed the button to force a shut down, but when I turned it back on again, it stayed stuck on the coloured lights start up window and did nothing else. I waited a while and forced the shut down again. LEft it alone for a while, but no change. Turn it on, a red light comes on for a moment, the PB start screen with the coloured lights starts up, and that's all..

fyi - It's plugged in, though I can't be sure it is charging. It did run surprisingly low while it was sitting unused in my bag while I was in transit yesterday. Not sure why, considering sitting at home in standby doesn't usually drain the battery much at all.

I updated to the latest version a few days ago and other than a glitch with text editing on this forum, I don't think I had any problems at all.

It was a big surprise and I have no clue what to do. Smiley Sad

Happy Chrissie tho! ")

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Happy Hols + My PB has bricked..?

[ Edited ]

Playbook will use far more in standby if wifi is left on as  it searches in vain for a signal. You should always turn off wifi while on walkabout.

First try to force reset. Hold Power button down for 20 seconds til it's a truly black screen. Try a charge session.

Then try to power back on as normal. 

Bad Charging:

If it's charging whilst powered off it will show constant red, pulsing yellow then constant green LED.  If the LED goes out soon after pluggingg into the charger you should either (1) pull out the cable when it goes out and plug it back in, repeating until it stays steady red, or (2) press the power button every 5 minutes until the same steady red is achieved. 

You cannot charge from a USB without spoecial home made cable. 

Debricking requires a PC or Mac running Desktop software. 

You will lose any data not backed up!!

Make sure you know your Blackberry ID and password

Turn Playbook right off (i.e. Shut Down)

Download latest Blackberry Desktop Software to your PC or Mac and start it up

Connect the Playbook by USB cable.

If the red light starts to glow or it starts up press the Off button.

Because Playbook is off you will get an error message basically saying Retry or Update  (on Mac it  may say repair rather than Update)

Quickly select the Update (or repair) option

The Playbook will start to get a new OS that will take a good hour to download via the PC

Follow the registration process using your current Blackberry ID

Add back your email accounts etc.

Reinstall your apps from App World, My World. 

Hi jarviser - thanks for such detailed tips and tricks.

I confess I truly detest PB's concept of standby. I press that button with the notion that it will do what the button on the i-gadgetsthatwillnotbenamedoutofrespecttojarviserwhodunnalikethem does.. namely, put it into a standby mode until *I* tell it to wake up by pushing the durned button. PB is like a kid reading under the covers with a flashlight instead of going to sleep.

For charging - am getting confused with talk of chargers.. I normally use the USB charger that plugs into the wall socket that came with the PB. I've no clue what the 3-pin socket does but another post is saying you have to use that one to charge now because RIM made a change to power levels as part of the update.

I did unplug and plug back in as you suggested - LEDs went through the colours as you described and, once green, I noticed that the screen was black but backlit so held the button down until it went truly dark. Set it aside overnight and plugged it in again this morning - lights went red to yellow to green fairly quickly and I've unplugged it (got symbol showing it knows it was disconnected in the screen) and waiting to see if it will boot up. It's been on the coloured lights for a little while.. Will go make a cuppa before giving up.

I backed up before the update and had already downloaded the desktop update before I left. If I have to debrick I'll unfortunately lose the in-progress photos of a painting I'm working on which would be a shame (this particular piece is a portrait of a friend's late mum so the in-progress pics are part of the present) but otherwise there is nothing of consequence.

I'll report back after a cup of tea. If it comes to a debrick process, it may take another day or so to get to.. it's a very white Christmas - 60cm snowfall the other day and getting to the snowblower will take a half day with snowshoes and a shovel! Smiley Wink

(posted with a gadget that won't be named Smiley Wink

Happy holidays, jarviser! Best wishes & many thanks Smiley Happy
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

let it stay on for a while mine did that once and after an hour i did the 20 second on power and it came back on.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Yes agree with Knottyrope. Getting green is gooood!

The "Black glow" when on charge does go off by itself after about 40 seconds. The "three pin" charger you describe is either the desktop dopck, or the "Rapid Charger" both of whuch charge much faster, but is of more use in protecting the delicate USB port if you need to handle it at all when on charge. 

Not sure how long I left it - more than half an hour but perhaps not as long as an hour - but it stayed on the coloured lights startup screen with no sign it was doing anything else so I shut it off. If you think I should try again and leave it longer, I'll give it a go as I'd really like to salvage those painting photos if I can.

I'll plug it in again and - once I get the green light - start it while still connected to the charger. That way I assume I could leave it all day if need be to see if it will start on its own.

I'm reluctant to try the debrick method here as I'm not convinced the wifi is reliable. It's bouncing off cellular relays on mountain rooftops and can glitch from time to time.

Am a bit confused as to whether this is because the power had gotten low or because of the update. Everything seemed to be working fine (or at least I thought so) until I restarted because the camera crashed. Prior to that I had been trying to get the wifi connection going but it was timing out (odd since I think it is AES so I was expecting an easier time of it). Can't recall if I did anything else with it before launching the camera - possibly not.

Let me know if turning it on plugged in and leaving it longer is a good next step.

Many thanks again!
Trusted Contributor

@jarviser & @knottyrope.. Patience + random start & stop for the win Smiley Wink

I let it charge again overnight (though it was practically fully charged anyway), left it plugged in when I pressed the button to start it up (again), left the coloured lights going for hours and hours while we shovelled 80+cm of accumulated snow to (apparently) no effect, pressed the button to turn it off, saw it blinking red, decided "what the hay" and turned it on again.. got my password screen!!! O.O

Woot! It's fine. The photos are there. The non-wifi apps work fine. I'll hold off trying to connect to the wifi or restarting again until I back it up but, for now everything looks bak to normal!!

Thanks both! Soooooo glad to not lose those pics and not have to do that whole debrick process. Awesome!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

glad to hear you made progres

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V