Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
FireFlyTn
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: Verizon

Has RIM discontinued production of all Playbooks?

I live in the us and I can't find a single Playbook anywhere. Walmart and best buy and pretty much all the top dog retail chains are sold out. I even went as far as to check the "where to buy" section on this website and it takes me to blackberry Mexico or something.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Q10 / Playbook

Re: Has RIM discontinued production of all Playbooks?

Blackberry Playbook 7-Inch Tablet (32GB)

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Playbook-7-Inch-Tablet-32GB/dp/B004UL34VW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13...

Here are the the 32GB listings from amazon.

My Device: Two PB's

Main suppliers in UK are amazon where only a few in stock, carphone warehouse nil stock, PC world 64gb only. Pretty scarce compared to the start of the fire sale. 

My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

Sure appears to be that way. All accessories are being heavily discounted. PlayBooks are not being replenished at retail stores either.

In light of BB10 launching in 1.5 days, I think we're going to soon find out if indeed RIM has (or is going to) release a new tablet (they may even call it something new). Several months ago, I posted on here an official statement from RIM stating that they were indeed discontinuing production of 16GB PlayBooks and were going to concentrate on higher capacity ones (32 and 64GB). I don't think that statement was entirely accurate however since RIM just let the existing supply dry up and the firesale of discounted tablets continued. They may have had to fulfill supply agreements with vendors and suppliers just to satisfy all parties. The LTE device which had slightly higer specifications (CPU was 1.5 GHz) appears to be killed off too as I have come across a listing that Bell (a large Canadian telecommunications company) has end of life'd the product (EOL) as of Jan 23, 2012.

Now that supply has obviously dwindled to next to nothing, the next logical steps are for RIM to (may do any or all of these) a) release a new PlayBook of sometype and specification running BB OS 10. b) Update the PlayBook LTE and Wi-Fi tablets as we know them now to BB OS 10 (which has been stated several times that they are indeed going to do this. c) Do nothing and kill off tablets altogether for the time being. I find point c) to be the most unlikely as they've officialy stated that they're very much in the tablet business and plan on supporting PlayBook users. This makes sense as the PlayBook runs QNX which is the codebase that the entire BB OS 10 platform is based upon. In fact, the PlayBook is the incubator of this operating system and OS platform. As such, it makes sense that RIM will release a new OS version for the PlayBook to satisfy their existing customer base. Alienating 2 million+ users is not a very good idea in my opinion...

Keep in mind the PlayBook is 2 years old now. It is out of date spec wise compared to the competition and due for an overhaul/update. All of this makes sense as to why the original PlayBook's are no longer being produced. Not only that, if indeed RIM is going to keep making the existing PlayBook, they will have to release it with the new BB OS 10 on it and doing that with boxed products on shelves can't be done easily. Releasing any new tablets in production will have their new OS image on them - if indeed they keep producing them.

According to a leaked internal product roadmap that has appeared on the web (and has been incredibly accurate too for the record) a new 10" tablet nicknamed BlackForest at 128 GB was due to come to marke tin Q3/ 2013.  

Anyhow, we're going to more than likely get a sense of what exactly RIM's up to with regards to BB 10 and the entire PlayBook line once BB 10 officially launches here in 1.5 days.  I doubt you'll get much more info on this until then.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

just got to be patient and wait it out

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kiltedmedic
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9790
My Carrier: Telus

Thanks! That was the answer I was hoping for and suspecting. I was looking at the Playbook as an option, as I do have a BB phone, and between my dissatisfaction with the ipad2 and the breakage of it, needed to find a replacement, but as others have mentioned, they seem to be disappearing from the shelves. Hoping that either they make BB10 upgrades available for old style playbooks or RIM puts out a new tablet.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
SlaKir
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
My Carrier: Sprint

You can purchase BB Playbook on Amazon web-site.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

SlaKir wrote:

You can purchase BB Playbook on Amazon web-site.

...as has been said, but unusual to have "5 only in stock" etc.

My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Optimum

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Playbook-7-Inch-Tablet-64GB/dp/B004UL34GW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I don't see any limited supply on Amazonhuh.gif

@}-`-,--
Web Development and Technical Services Librarian
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

susgeek wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Playbook-7-Inch-Tablet-64GB/dp/B004UL34GW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I don't see any limited supply on Amazonhuh.gif

Different country.