Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
london18
My Device: Playbook Tablet
My Carrier: Telstra

Have I lost my info, photo's video's etc.

Picked up my Playbook on the weekend & it displayed:

'Password entered too many times, playbook will be erased'.- Does this mean I will lose all my info, photo's etc?

Tablet has asked for me to restart from beginning. Tried to access my account on line, my email address has changed & system won't let me in. Can you please help?"

Have created a new ID with new email address, but don't want to enter it in incase I lose my info.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: Have I lost my info, photo's video's etc.

If the password has been entered incorrectly 10 times the Playbook will wipe itself and you will loose any data oN there. Have you made a backup using desktop manager? 

Not entirely sure what you mean by trying to access your account online etc?can you elaborate 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
london18

Not sure, don't think I have. Can't access desktop manager at the moment, because it asks me to complete sign-in.

Playbook keeps asking me my Blackberry ID.

Because my email address has changed, it won't accept it.

Is there any way of recovering anything?

Seems crazy -

If you don't like someone, do you grab their Playbook & keep entering a password so all their info is deleted.

Surely there must be a fail-safe.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

Can you elaborate where in Desktop Manager it is asking you to sign in? Blackberry Desktop Manager does not ask you to sign into anything from memory, especially not to backup. 

If your email attached to your Blackberry ID is no longer available and you cannot remember the password to log in using it you will need to create a new ID - KB26361 - How to change or reset a BlackBerry ID password

If you have not done a back up then there is no way to recover items lost in a wipe - this is a security feature and the fail safe.

And if memory serves correctly after 5 incorrect passwords the playbook asks you to enter "blackberry" before you can carry on so to go to all 10 incorrect attempts with this failsafe is very hard to do by accident. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
london18

When I click on desktop Manager on my computer, it tells me that setup needs to be completed before I can access it.

Have created a new ID, but haven't entered it as I wanted to make sure it didn't effect any previous info, but sounds like this doesn't matter.

Re the passwords, I didn't get to see any of this. The Playbook was in it's rubber pouch that it comes in & was sitting in a file. Only thing I can think of is the tablet was on, with something resting on it, that caused it to keep entering.

When I picked it up, it stated too many incorrect passwords. (Wasn't happy)

Is there anyway I can enter the Playbook ID number, or does it just completely wipe the hard drive?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

If you are trying to use Blackberry Desktop Manager with your playbook before it is setup you will get this message. 

I'd go ahead and set your Playbook up using your new blackberry ID (note that any apps you purchased using the old ID will not be available and you will need to repurchase). Once setup make sure you regularly backup your Playbook to save loosing any information again should something happen with the Playbook. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
london18

No Worries, thanks for your help,

Still seems crazy though.

If someone steels one, all they need to do is enter incorrect password 10 times.

then create an ID & bingo it's theirs.

Not quite in the purchasers favour.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

Personally, I would rather that my data was safe if the playbook was stolen. As there is no way to track the playbook currently once I've lost it thats it - I believe that RIM are able to block a Playbook from the servers if you report it but I've not seen this confirmed in writing anywhere. 

Please use plain text.